Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: You wanted to "bluewater sail." When did you actually do it?
I got the boat, took it out, and never came back, mate. You should unplug that contraption and do it, too. 16 18.82%
I meticulously took all the courses, learned to sail, sailed different boats, including with experienced sailors, until I was ready, and, with the right boat and preparation, I set off to conquer horizons! 16 18.82%
All water is blue on a sunny day, kehd. 10 11.76%
If you has to ask, you be a newb, arrr. 2 2.35%
Looks like someone has too much time on their hands. 12 14.12%
A combination of 1 and 2 9 10.59%
Any combination of 3, 4, and 5. 9 10.59%
Some other response that I shall elucidate in my response 11 12.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 07:00   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Another 'Bluewater Boat' Poll to Really Tee You Off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
It's not exactly rocket science and doesn't happen at breakneck speeds so we've been tracking in the right direction it seems for years now. Second year we had this boat we headed to Labrador. Didn't make it due to weather and work commitments but had a fantastic week on the Northern Peninsula. Eventually you get into bigger seas and things become a little bit more challenging but you trust yourself and your boat. This year we had seen the worse sea state in our boat and it was within a mile of shore while rounding a headland. Thrilling after it's done. Environment Canada said it had been 11 metres a couple days before and I'm guessing we had 8-9 metres. I've never learned to surf but did that day.
Norton ... as in Norton's Cove in Bonavista Bay? If so, we're based just around the bend, up there in Notre Dame Bay (Lewisporte). If we get back to our boat this year (and she is not too damaged from years of neglect), maybe we'll meet up on the waters.

The last year we were there we spent weeks up on the Northern Peninsula. Awesome area. We anchored in lots of places, but only scratched the surface. Would love to head back up sometime, and perhaps do see a bit more of the Big Land as well.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:44   #32

Boat: homebuilt 25ft Lucky Linda

Built my 25' LoD gaff sloop in my back yard, sailed it down the St Lawrence, then on to the Canaries where she now lies via the Azores, Portugal and Morocco. My first and only sailboat. Next stop-Cape Verde, then Brazil. No sweat.
luckylinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:48   #33

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

I have been the sailing instructor to several who went of voyaging. More often my clients just enjoy sailing when and where they are able.
I love it all
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:04   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't think sailing far from shore is necessarily more challenging than coastal sailing. The challenges are different, and being far from shore the skills you mostly need are not so much sailing, as they are logistical, and mechanical, because you have to be more autonomous, so have to be better prepared and supplied and equipped.

The sailing itself is much harder inshore. The dangerous stuff is where the land is. Toughest sailing I've ever done is around the English Channel and North Sea, with big tides, strong tidal currents, rocks, shoals, difficult harbour entrances, gnarly weather, plus intense ship traffic. That takes a really high level of skill and seamanship. Easiest sailing I've ever done, on the contrary, is in the middle of the ocean, in a benign tropical latitude, on a boat with plenty of supplies and spare parts and a high production watermaker.
You omitted the ground swells.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:56   #35

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Another 'Bluewater Boat' Poll to Really Tee You Off!!

Sailing across Bass Strait - one of the more dangerous patches of water in the world:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	252527

Edit: looks “blue” to me
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 13:15   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

When I was 18 I hitched and bussed to San Diego and caught my first boat ride as crew to Cabo on a wooden Cheoy Lee 44' ketch. From there I caught another Cheoy Lee 44' yawl to Puerto Vallarta. Several 5-day passages; not sure if far enough offshore to call "bluewater" (depends where you're standing, I guess). I don't think ASA existed back then...people just learned as they went.
Next year I did the same, on an Ericson 38 to Cabo, and an unknown design to Zihuatanejo. Caught a Santa Cruz 70 back to Long Beach from Puerto Vallarta: my first paid delivery.
Next year I thought I'd try the Caribbean, and hopped on a cat going from Isla Mujeres to Guatemala. Cruised with that cat for several winters: Bahamas, Cuba, Charleston, Mexico. It was good, but my now-wife wanted our own boat.
Bought an Irwin 27 at a thrift store in Cocoa Beach, Fl, fixed it up and sailed it to Colombia, then up to Maine. Got some good blue water there...
Finally built a Cape George 31 from a bare hull, sailed it from San Francisco to Rhode Island, then around Newfoundland...reckon we've seen some blue water on her.
Done a few deliveries: Bermuda, up and down the east coast, Bahamas....when it gets ugly, doesn't matter if the water's blue or not, you have to operate prudently and try not to bump into hard things. There's big waves close to land sometimes too....
Old 06-02-2022, 19:03   #37

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I'll jump in, because even though I've sailed on the ocean - including a 3 day passage up the east coast of Florida - I still don't consider myself a "bluewater" sailor.

My wife and I have been sailing on and off with boats we have owned for almost 30 years now. We lived aboard one when we were young for a couple of years. We - mostly me - have wanted to "sail Away" all that time. But you know, for some of us life and kids and jobs get in the way.

Well the kids are grown and jobs are becoming less important, and we just got our biggest boat ever so...is bluewater a possibility ?

I'd say the odds are better than even !

You certainly have the boat--and screen name--for it! My bet's on you.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 19:15   #38

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Sailing across Bass Strait - one of the more dangerous patches of water in the world:

Attachment 252527

Edit: looks “blue” to me
Nice.

Attached: North Atlantic, 20 miles southeast of Cape Ann.

It's no Bass Strait, but two days before this picture was taken, there were 24-foot waves here.

More of an aquamarine, I'd say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 2-6-22 at 10.08 PM.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	252553  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 06-02-2022, 19:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
When I was 18 I hitched and bussed to San Diego and caught my first boat ride as crew to Cabo on a wooden Cheoy Lee 44' ketch. From there I caught another Cheoy Lee 44' yawl to Puerto Vallarta. Several 5-day passages; not sure if far enough offshore to call "bluewater" (depends where you're standing, I guess). I don't think ASA existed back then...people just learned as they went.
Next year I did the same, on an Ericson 38 to Cabo, and an unknown design to Zihuatanejo. Caught a Santa Cruz 70 back to Long Beach from Puerto Vallarta: my first paid delivery.
Next year I thought I'd try the Caribbean, and hopped on a cat going from Isla Mujeres to Guatemala. Cruised with that cat for several winters: Bahamas, Cuba, Charleston, Mexico. It was good, but my now-wife wanted our own boat.
Bought an Irwin 27 at a thrift store in Cocoa Beach, Fl, fixed it up and sailed it to Colombia, then up to Maine. Got some good blue water there...
Finally built a Cape George 31 from a bare hull, sailed it from San Francisco to Rhode Island, then around Newfoundland...reckon we've seen some blue water on her.
Done a few deliveries: Bermuda, up and down the east coast, Bahamas....when it gets ugly, doesn't matter if the water's blue or not, you have to operate prudently and try not to bump into hard things. There's big waves close to land sometimes too....
Love it! Talk about learn by doing.

Next time I'm sailing RI I might swing by Little Compton to hear more, if you like to socialize with wayward boaters (and assuming I can get a 7' draft into your harbor... gonna go check now.)

EDIT: 13221 Tells me Sakonnet Harbor is 6 1/2, but that was 2012, so who knows. I don't know many harbors in Southern New England that haven't been dredged to 8 to accommodate modern 40-foot performance cruisers.
Old 06-02-2022, 19:32   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

The waters all Newfoundlanders dread: The Straight of Belle Isle. Funnelling winds, icy waters, and nasty tidal currents ... except when we passed through .

At least we saw our first iceberg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0169.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	252554   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7292.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	252555  

Old 06-02-2022, 23:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The waters all Newfoundlanders dread: The Straight of Belle Isle. Funnelling winds, icy waters, and nasty tidal currents ... except when we passed through .

Mike, I'm feeling a "calmest day in the worst place" thread
Old 07-02-2022, 03:31   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Love it! Talk about learn by doing.

Next time I'm sailing RI I might swing by Little Compton to hear more, if you like to socialize with wayward boaters (and assuming I can get a 7' draft into your harbor... gonna go check now.)

EDIT: 13221 Tells me Sakonnet Harbor is 6 1/2, but that was 2012, so who knows. I don't know many harbors in Southern New England that haven't been dredged to 8 to accommodate modern 40-foot performance cruisers.
Sakonnet harbor is tight, small, and filled brim-full with commercial fishing craft. There are no facilities, and the landing beach is miles from any services. You're better off picking up a guest mooring in the Portsmouth basin between Pirate's cove and Pirate's coves marinas, all now owned by Safe Harbors anyway.
Otherwise you can sneak into the Kickemuit River at high tide and have the best anchorage--though still no services--in Mt.Hope bay. A transient slip at Borden Light Marina in Fall River gets you in a city with walking-distance stores and restaurants. I'll be most glad to meet you and chat wherever you end up.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:32   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

That's how it looked when we sailed it too! Though the day before and the day after it was more like people said.....
Old 07-02-2022, 05:24   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:

Been through a few times, always been lucky.

HOWEVER, left CowHead one morning, just like that, and by 1 we had 3-4 meter breaking seas. Chouette broke 10 knots. My third season sailing and still had the wrapping paper in my skill set.

What impressed me was seeing those really BIG orange net buoys going through the middle of the waves. I really worried about tripping on a net line.

Chouette handled it fine. Our Daughter will never set foot aboard again.

Two days before our FULL holding tank burst. That night I wrapped a line and lost power while docking. Another story.

Can’t say as I blame her for her skepticism of my “talents.”
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:01   #45

Most of my professional career was offshore before I ever bought my own boat so I'm not qualified adequately to respond, but I did anyway.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, poll, water