Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: You wanted to "bluewater sail." When did you actually do it?
I got the boat, took it out, and never came back, mate. You should unplug that contraption and do it, too. 16 18.82%
I meticulously took all the courses, learned to sail, sailed different boats, including with experienced sailors, until I was ready, and, with the right boat and preparation, I set off to conquer horizons! 16 18.82%
All water is blue on a sunny day, kehd. 10 11.76%
If you has to ask, you be a newb, arrr. 2 2.35%
Looks like someone has too much time on their hands. 12 14.12%
A combination of 1 and 2 9 10.59%
Any combination of 3, 4, and 5. 9 10.59%
Some other response that I shall elucidate in my response 11 12.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 03:22   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Another 'Bluewater Boat' Poll to Really Tee You Off!!

Forumers.

Can we be real with each other for a moment?

Folks come on here all the time looking for the perfect "bluewater" boat.

It kind of blows my mind, really, because, having lived most of my life either at the helm of a monohull, or dreaming of being at the helm of a monohull, I cannot conceive of going straight from the dock to the mid-Atlantic without first going through the brown, gray, green, blue-ish, green-breaking-over-your-bow, GREEN-REALLY-IN-YOUR-GRILL-AND-WILL-I-SURVIVE-THIS-NIGHT-water.

And this from a guy who has only ever skippered a boat that was 30 miles from the shore.

So.

How many of you have actually gone from new-to-sailing to ocean passages?

And if not, what was your progression?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Another 'Bluewater Boat' Poll to Really Tee You Off!!

I bought a 33’ steel cutter, bot 2 jour lesson from PO, too off up Nova Scotia coast solo. Eventually made it to Sydney, Cape Breton. The next year I left Sydney for St Pierre, an over nighter.

I still don’t know how to sail for beans. Am slowly getting better. Veeery sloooowly.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:55   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ours (my spouse and I) have taken the slow roll to where we are today. We had decided to make a boat our home ten years before it actually happened. In that time we honed our skills, learned what we really needed and wanted, and then slowly upgraded our second boat once we understood what we were looking for.

When we started we both took cruising courses. We took one together, and then took others apart. But mostly we built our skills by doing. We were lucky enough to be living on the largest lake in the world, which offered a good range of extensive coastal cruising, but also long "offshore"* passages, and all the big blue (and green) water one could ever want to see.

(* On Superior, it's easy to be more than 50 nm offshore. Our longest passage west-to-east was nearly two days).

After more than a decade, we sold our land home and began this cruising lifestyle. Since then, we haven't really gone that far. The length of the Great Lakes, out the St. Lawrence, and 1/2 way around Newfoundland (northern 1/2). Our longest passage has been three days, 100 nm from shore, across the northern part of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. It was great (until it wasn't ).

We're still learning, and hope to resume this spring, Covid-gods willing. Neither of us are great sailors, but that was never the point. To me, sailing is just an entirely desirable way to move my home around. It's the lifestyle, not the activity, that draws me (us).

Not sure where any of this puts me in your poll. Not sure what any of the above really means. Just fun to babble I suppose. Thanks .
Old 05-02-2022, 08:11   #4

Boat: Hanse 430e

American here. Sailed little boats and dinghys as a kid. Took a few vacations on bigger boats. Retired at 52 and got my RYA Day Skipper. Then bought a production boat in the Med where I live full time some years and part time others (covid). I overnight once in a while and will cross the Atlantic in a year or two, im kinda having fun in YURROP. It aint hard.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:27   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

blue water, green skipper

great memoir by Stuart Woods, not sure how it applies to all this but it made me think of it.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:56   #6

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

I went for #1 Just want to add that decision was made 36 years ago, I a still onboard the same boat ..
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 13:23   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Kind of #1. Lived in a big city. Sailed weekends and summer trips. Have owned 5 boats. After 20 years of that bought the boat I have now. Lived aboard for 19 years, circumnavigated and then some. Bought a house and have live ashore for the last 11 years. Take long summer excursions in the PNW and Canada.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 13:53   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Bahia, 46'

Took sailing lessons. Got a bare boat cert. on a 7 day live aboard in BVI.
Sailed a few times with a club on the Chesapeake.
Connected through one of the crew finder sites with a guy who sailed the Eastern Caribbean on his 38' cat.
First inter-island passage St. Lucia to Martinique. 8 to 12' seas, 25 to 30 kts sustained. I was hooked.
I've logged thousands of miles since, and own a blue water cat.
rramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 14:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ours (my spouse and I) have taken the slow roll to where we are today. We had decided to make a boat our home ten years before it actually happened. In that time we honed our skills, learned what we really needed and wanted, and then slowly upgraded our second boat once we understood what we were looking for.

When we started we both took cruising courses. We took one together, and then took others apart. But mostly we built our skills by doing. We were lucky enough to be living on the largest lake in the world, which offered a good range of extensive coastal cruising, but also long "offshore"* passages, and all the big blue (and green) water one could ever want to see.

(* On Superior, it's easy to be more than 50 nm offshore. Our longest passage west-to-east was nearly two days).

After more than a decade, we sold our land home and began this cruising lifestyle. Since then, we haven't really gone that far. The length of the Great Lakes, out the St. Lawrence, and 1/2 way around Newfoundland (northern 1/2). Our longest passage has been three days, 100 nm from shore, across the northern part of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. It was great (until it wasn't ).

We're still learning, and hope to resume this spring, Covid-gods willing. Neither of us are great sailors, but that was never the point. To me, sailing is just an entirely desirable way to move my home around. It's the lifestyle, not the activity, that draws me (us).

Not sure where any of this puts me in your poll. Not sure what any of the above really means. Just fun to babble I suppose. Thanks .
noel32129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 15:31   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Forumers.

Can we be real with each other for a moment?

Folks come on here all the time looking for the perfect "bluewater" boat.

It kind of blows my mind, really, because, having lived most of my life either at the helm of a monohull, or dreaming of being at the helm of a monohull, I cannot conceive of going straight from the dock to the mid-Atlantic without first going through the brown, gray, green, blue-ish, green-breaking-over-your-bow, GREEN-REALLY-IN-YOUR-GRILL-AND-WILL-I-SURVIVE-THIS-NIGHT-water.

And this from a guy who has only ever skippered a boat that was 30 miles from the shore.

So.

How many of you have actually gone from new-to-sailing to ocean passages?

And if not, what was your progression?

Give them a break. What is blue water to one isn't for another. If they are just getting into it maybe a mile off shore is blue water?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 16:17   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I don't think sailing far from shore is necessarily more challenging than coastal sailing. The challenges are different, and being far from shore the skills you mostly need are not so much sailing, as they are logistical, and mechanical, because you have to be more autonomous, so have to be better prepared and supplied and equipped.

The sailing itself is much harder inshore. The dangerous stuff is where the land is. Toughest sailing I've ever done is around the English Channel and North Sea, with big tides, strong tidal currents, rocks, shoals, difficult harbour entrances, gnarly weather, plus intense ship traffic. That takes a really high level of skill and seamanship. Easiest sailing I've ever done, on the contrary, is in the middle of the ocean, in a benign tropical latitude, on a boat with plenty of supplies and spare parts and a high production watermaker.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 16:27   #12

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I bought a 33’ steel cutter, bot 2 jour lesson from PO, too off up Nova Scotia coast solo. Eventually made it to Sydney, Cape Breton. The next year I left Sydney for St Pierre, an over nighter.

I still don’t know how to sail for beans. Am slowly getting better. Veeery sloooowly.
I hope I bump into you someday on a dock or a hook. I would love to hear your stories.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 05-02-2022, 16:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Honestly the poll was for laughs and to elicit stories like these.
Old 05-02-2022, 16:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len hornick View Post
I went for #1 Just want to add that decision was made 36 years ago, I a still onboard the same boat ..
Would love to hear your stories as well
Old 05-02-2022, 16:41   #15

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

yeah, what mike o'riely said. this is kinda fun. the poll is chum to attract different responses some with elevated heart rates. so, as the aussies say when they hook one "come in spinner"
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, poll, water