Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 11:18   #46

Re: Another first boat thread. Alberg 30, 1975

Congratulations! She looks pretty good. (I'm jealous)

I'm with Don; do the minimum required to launch in May and sail her, and then do a bit at a time while also getting some on-water time.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 11:25   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

I did as was mentioned above and it's good advice.

Do the minimum to get the boat sailable then launch it and start testing in local waters

I tested the rigging in heavy winds near shore and everything else over the years and months and did repairs and made additions as needed only

Mine was on the hard also so that first night anchored out which was also on launch day I kept getting up all night to check for leaks etc

As I mentioned before, there's another guy with a boat like mine that started refitting in 2009 and he's still refiting........I bought in june of 2011 and was sailing by late July 2011 and the boat was 75 miles away
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:33   #48

Boat: Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I did as was mentioned above and it's good advice.

Do the minimum to get the boat sailable then launch it and start testing in local waters

I tested the rigging in heavy winds near shore and everything else over the years and months and did repairs and made additions as needed only

Mine was on the hard also so that first night anchored out which was also on launch day I kept getting up all night to check for leaks etc

As I mentioned before, there's another guy with a boat like mine that started refitting in 2009 and he's still refiting........I bought in june of 2011 and was sailing by late July 2011 and the boat was 75 miles away

Yeah, an 11 year refit doesn't sound fun to me. My plan is juat to make it safe, clean, comfortable, and ready for the water this summer.

I think before launch, I'd like to:

- bottom paint
- install composting head
- inspect/replace seacocks/through-hulls

- re-pack/replace prop shaft seal/stuffing box
- solar panel, battery, lights

- get inboard running, else install outboard bracket & outboard

Ought to be doable.
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:39   #49

Quote:
My hull/deck joint has leaked for the 8 years I've owned my boat. It leaks onto a shelf some but mostly down into the bilge after a hard rain.

Interesting. I noticed the water is basically running down in the space between the liner and the hull, down to the bilge.

I originally planned to remove the wood toe rail and re-bed the bolts, especially due to the Alberg's reputed sailing characteristics (which I have no experience with, I admit).

Now I'm wondering if it's a priority.

It'sa very tedious job especially since I'll have to drill the wooden plugs out first.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 24-02-2020, 15:26   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post

- bottom paint

I would personally put the composting head, solar panel and lights at the bottom of that list, and not necessary for launch.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 16:33   #51

Quote:
Yeah, an 11 year refit doesn't sound fun to me. My plan is juat to make it safe, clean, comfortable, and ready for the water this summer.

- bottom paint

Ought to be doable.
You need to contact my friend Jason (Cruiser2B) on here.

He knows a lot about the Alberg 30.

He and I used to race against each other on a 12 mile course and it was quite fun.

He decided to get rid of his Atomic 4 and get a diesel for his Alberg 30 then he went thru some life stuff and bought a Westsail 32 maybe to sail off into oblivion but I think he misses his Alberg 30!

He also became a pilot boat captain and delivers pilots in all weathers to ships entering the Chesapeake Bay in all conditions......

I will let him know that I mentioned him to you and maybe he's not on the boat and can respond otherwise I'm sure he will respond later as I believe he is a real fan of the Alberg 30.

And btw, they really do look good on the water........

http://svsalacia.blogspot.com/
Old 24-02-2020, 16:53   #52

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The composting/dessicating head may not fit in your compartment without some modifications. If you are not going out for too long, a good 5 gallon porta-potty works just fine.
There are good little solar lights like the Luci lights that work well.
I can’t link it now but some of us have posted other things that have worked for us on smaller boats in the thread titled “handy stuff for pocket cruisers.” Use the search button above to find it.
If you haven’t checked our Bacon Sails and Marine for good deals on used sails. I got my main that way. New for $500 specifically for my model! (It had some minor mistakes in construction so I guess the customer got a new one made.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 05:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If you are not going out for too long, a good 5 gallon porta-potty works just fine.

There are good little solar lights like the Luci lights that work well.

...thread titled “handy stuff for pocket cruisers.”

If you haven’t checked our Bacon Sails and Marine for good deals on used sails.

The port-a-potty might be a good stop-gap for this summer, especially at their price points. The rules up here dictate a permanent head in order to enjoy alcohol while moored, so as long as I can semi-permanently install it, it should work.

I might have a looksee at those solar lights. I have portable battery lighting for the cabin and deck at night. Mostly, I meant lighting in the sense of navigation lights and mooring lights--another requirement up here.

Hey! I had a look through Bacon Sails! Pretty slick site, reasonable prices. Thanks for that! Bookmarked for the future. The sailboat comes with 4 sails: storm, jib, drifter, and main. All are in the same, very good condition. Still, eventually I'd like to do longer passages, which will likely warrant a change in inventory.

I was reading about drifters. The majority of what I've read online seems to be that they're not very useful, but I've heard that they're a must-have for our local winds--especially in summer. I don't know enough about sailing to say either way.
Old 25-02-2020, 06:09   #54

Quote:
The port-a-potty might be a good stop-gap for this summer, especially at their price points. The rules up here dictate a permanent head in order to enjoy alcohol while moored, so as long as I can semi-permanently install it, it should work.

I might have a looksee at those solar lights. I have portable battery lighting for the cabin and deck at night. Mostly, I meant lighting in the sense of navigation lights and mooring lights--another requirement up here.

Hey! I had a look through Bacon Sails! Pretty slick site, reasonable prices. Thanks for that! Bookmarked for the future. The sailboat comes with 4 sails: storm, jib, drifter, and main. All are in the same, very good condition. Still, eventually I'd like to do longer passages, which will likely warrant a change in inventory.

I was reading about drifters. The majority of what I've read online seems to be that they're not very useful, but I've heard that they're a must-have for our local winds--especially in summer. I don't know enough about sailing to say either way.
I'd say the biggest worry with sails is will they hold up when the wind gets up. And can you reef them or change to a smaller sail. I had my mainsail built in 2012. It's 8 oz Dacron w/4 battens. It's cost about as much as the boat did

You can use almost any sail in light air or use the motor

As far as the head, I cut out the old pump out hoses and the pump which were allowing a bad smell from the Thetford Plastic Head (glorified porta potty)the PO had installed. It has a 6 gallon holding tank and I have used it these past 8 years and remove and empty at the Facility at Cobb's Marina

I had a bad start to this day with jib furler jammed and main halyard fouled so I just sailed 5 hours or so on 3/4 of a jib and just lowered the jib after I got into the shelter of my creek. Winds up to near 29 knots. Then made the repairs to the furler and the sail foot and unfouled the main halyard at the dock.

Autopilot took over steering after I got out the creek where I had anchored the night beforeand could head South with the wind.

It was still a fast sail home due to the wind and tide

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	209413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	209414  

Old 25-02-2020, 06:26   #55

Quote:
You need to contact my friend Jason (Cruiser2B) on here.

He knows a lot about the Alberg 30.

And btw, they really do look good on the water........

Adventures of Salacia

Cool! Good to know he's around here. I read each of his blog entries and watched his videos during my research phase, prior to purchasing.

It really (I mean REALLY) helped me make a more informed decision. I knew way more potential problem areas to keep an eye out for, especially regarding his mast step beam issues, which would have been a deal-breaker for me.

I don't mind doing the work, but I had no interest in dealing with such big issues right off the bat. If the mast step beam had been in similar condition, I would have waited on another boat.

His videos (among others) also encouraged me to purchase a pin-less moisture meter. I know they're not bulletproof, but I've gone over the majority of the deck, and it seems to be pretty decent. There are some deck areas, mostly near stanchion posts, that may need addressing eventually. The majority of the deck was 15-20%; near some of the stanchions there were readings of 34%--not an alarming figure by itself, but by comparing with the surrounding areas suggest that at least some water is getting in.

I didn't find any area which was saturated, but the boat is under a tarp, has been out of the water for a decade, and the winter air is dry. I did consider frozen water and its effect on the moisture meter. It'd been well above freezing temperatures for a few days (highs of 10C/50F), not counting the sunlight.

I also sounded the deck for soundness. I believe I found two problem areas, both on the port and starboard "walkways" (surely there's an appropriate nautical jargon for this area ). There's an area on each side, about 16"x16" in size, where you can sort of feel the top fiberglass layer is not fixed to the core. The structure itself feels as sturdy as anywhere else. Maybe just delamination, maybe rot. It's not "trampoline-ey" but it also doesn't feel like the rest of the deck.

The stanchion post on the starboard side near the cockpit (where people would embark/disembark over the years), ended up leaking and causing rot. The PO removed the stanchion post, cut a 4x4 opening in the top FG, removed the rotted core, and then sealed the exposed core with epoxy to prevent further damage. It's not getting worse--which is great--but it needs some plywood epoxied in, then closed up and faired, before the stanchion can be installed.

It's a nice reminder that stanchions are not handles.

I've read and researched a lot, but as the title of the thread reads, this is my first boat, and reading only goes so far. I'm not an expert. I'm banking on being in for a few nasty surprises as I get to know the boat better.

Hope for the best, and expect the worst
Old 25-02-2020, 11:24   #56

I think your inventory sounds perfect. Those will cover 99% of your sailing I bet and the storm jib May never come out of the bag for years. I really need a drifter around here for those light air days. You might browse Bacon for a Genoa. When there is too much wind for the drifter you are in the lower range for a working jib so you are still good to go.
Ok I better amend that since someone will chime in to correct me! The drifter is for off the wind of course, or a beam reach, but if you are on a beam reach and it pipes up then switching to the jib is a good switch. If you want to go to windward in light air, a Genoa is good but at least in my boat my jib gives me better drive to windward down to maybe 10 knots or so, so sometimes I just leave the Genoa unless I’ll be reaching for a while.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 02-03-2020, 05:35   #57

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Hello all,

I've been researching for over a while now (maybe 18months) and I'm looking for my first project boat. I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer insight.

I'm looking at a used 1975 Alberg 30 for my first sailboat. Overall, I think the boat is in good structural condition and was well cared for. It needs work, but that's not a deal breaker for me. The skinny:

• Freshwater boat. Hull # 580
  • On the hard ~12 years. The owner is 96yo and bought it when he retired from engineering around 27 years ago. Second owner.
  • Exterior of hull appears surprisingly good, no damage, no cracks at keel-hull connection. Keel is encapsulated, of course.
  • Rudder: fiberglass. No hollow spots. Bearing/gudgeons have no play
  • Mast and mast step appear in good condition. Spreaders have been upgraded to aluminum. Bonus.
  • 4 sails in good condition. New roller furling included, but not installed, and the sails have not been modified for it yet.
  • Atomic 4 engine. Turns turns freely and seems to have properly been stored for longterm.
    • If it runs, great. If not, I'd remove it and close off the space for storage. I'd use a 9.9HP or 15HP on a lifting transom bracket.
    • I would close off all the air intakes, exhausts, and required through-hulls.
  • Hull to deck joint has been through-bolted along the entire perimeter, at approximately 3" centers. Is this factory?
  • The deck is leaking into the hull somewhere. Could be a window, chainplate, or (more likely) one of the 200+ bolts used to secure the deck to the hull. I'd like to isolate this before the purchase.
  • Water tank is serviceable. An inspection/filling port installed. Bonus. I would eventually sand and apply two layers of glass and epoxy for good measure.
  • Holding tank was leaking and was repaired, but not reinstalled. I would relocate the holding tank to under the v-berth, where the drawer normally is.
  • Water got into the keel. Either from the deck leak (rainwater) or the holding tank leak (gross), down through the bilge. My plan: drill, drain, dry, re-seal.
  • Salon windows are original, non opening, and appear in good condition. Would upgrade at some point down the road.
  • V-berth portholes are opening type and appear aftermarket. Plastic hinge on one is broken. Would likely have to replace these before immediately.
  • Prop is good. Turns freely, but shaft, seals, bearings will need servicing.
  • All through-hulls & seacocks are original. Need replacing. Would like to minimize # in conjunction with previously stated changes.
  • It has both tiller and wheel steering. Owner's son believes it was a factory option. Either way, I'd likely remove the wheel and open up the cockpit.
  • Electronics: Knot meter, VHF, depth sounder, autohelm. Each in dubious condition. I'd remove the knot meter and depth sounder, and instead install a modern GPS with depth sounder. I'll keep the VHF. If I can get the autohelm to work with the tiller, I'll keep it. If not, windvane down the road.
  • Exterior cosmetics/bright work need love. Wood itself is sound. No splits/breaks/rot. Coamings are totally intact.
  • Chainplates are original. Will replace with size larger and better through-bolts.
  • Rigging needs replaced. Probably go a size up, as with the chain plates.
  • Mooring lights need replacing. VHF antenna needs replaced.
  • A few softspots on the deck, one is under a stanchion. Also a possible source of water entering the cabin.
  • Comes with folding cradle
The price is good. Under $2000.
Hi. Sounds like a sweet deal to me, especially if you're comfortable with doing some of the work. We liked our Yamaha outboard, and rarely used it except to move in & out of tight places. Never at sea - if becalmed, we waited it out. Your schedule may vary...
We prefer to keep holes in the boat (thru-hulls) to a minimum, and you're well on your way to a more secure vessel by losing the inboard engine. You might simplify your life a good deal more by installing a Airhead or similar composting toilet. After a period of 'adjustment', we love ours.
Of course finding the leak can be a challenge. All the best!
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57   #58

You might find some things of use in here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...al-153058.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...id-222893.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-113368.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ge-199000.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-197008.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ee-179185.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-04-2020, 10:20   #59

Thanks Don!

She's coming along. I have the v-berth gutted, through hulls removed, engine removed and overhauled (runs just fine!), Four forward bulkheads removed and chain locker bulkhead removed. Templates are made. Inside of hull is ground/sanded ready for tabbing when weather will be consistently nice.

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting but that's the bulk of it.

I realize I'd said I wanted to do the minimum and launch her but since everything is shut down, I have the time. I'm also luky to still have work to finance these things.

I'm looking for water tank options. I don't care for bladders/flexible. Considered doing a built-in but I'm unsure about being able to acquire food grade epoxy north of the border. I'll probably use an array of hdpe tanks instead.
Old 09-04-2020, 16:26   #60

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

what a beautiful boat i cannot wait to see her going!
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, boat