Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2023, 22:25   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Antifouling Airmar DST810?

Airmar recommends to apply AF in and around the DST810 transducer and housing where it is in contact with seawater. But it has to be water-based.
Anyone else did so? My previous transducer got to be over 25yrs old without any AF and was still working fine.
Just reluctant to buy AF for a few ml of AF on the transducer.
Pepijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 07:47   #2

Re: Antifouling Airmar DST810?

No comments?
Old 30-08-2023, 08:25   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepijn View Post
No comments?
Still waking up here and looking at hurricanes moving by

I did that and noticed very little effect from that expensive little antifouling bottle. I recommend to skip it and regularly pull and clean the transducer.

By the way, if you do pull the transducer and put the plug in, which we often do to prevent fouling, then you must disconnect it. I think this is what kills them if you keep them running out of the water.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 08:37   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

I do apply "MDR Anti-Fouling Transducer Paint" ($8.78 at Defender; the little bottle lasts a few years.) It doesn't completely stop the little critters from nesting in the speed impeller, but it may discourage them a bit. I also take the transducer out when I'm not on a cruise.
Old 30-08-2023, 09:09   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The water based AF for transducers doesn't do much.

Assume this is a removable transducer and easy to clean. Pulling and keeping clean is a better option.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 09:50   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, I was too generous with my “very little effect” statement. I couldn’t tell if it did anything compared to not using it.

Old 30-08-2023, 14:09   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

In my experience the MDR antifouling works very well. I apply two light coats with an acid brush. Like any antifouling the effectiveness varies widely from one location to the next. Plus, for me, a season lasts about seven months.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 18:13   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
In my experience the MDR antifouling works very well. I apply two light coats with an acid brush. Like any antifouling the effectiveness varies widely from one location to the next. Plus, for me, a season lasts about seven months.
The MDR antifouling is what I used. I believe the brush is attached to the cap. It does notshow any effect compared to no antifouling at all.

You say it works very well for you… did you try it without any antifouling to make that comparison?

Old 30-08-2023, 22:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I did that and noticed very little effect from that expensive little antifouling bottle. I recommend to skip it and regularly pull and clean the transducer.

By the way, if you do pull the transducer and put the plug in, which we often do to prevent fouling, then you must disconnect it. I think this is what kills them if you keep them running out of the water.
Thanks! Will do without AF then. Good point about disconnecting it while out of the water for longer then just cleaning. Will keep in mind and note it at sensor.
Stay safe out there!
Pepijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 18:34   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
The MDR antifouling is what I used. I believe the brush is attached to the cap. It does notshow any effect compared to no antifouling at all.

You say it works very well for you… did you try it without any antifouling to make that comparison?
Forgot to apply it a couple years ago and had growth all season. That included cruising New England for six months and a month in Bermuda, so not all in temperate waters or in one location.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 19:02   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

That is interesting Jedi. I have only a year, (less actually) with my DST810. Never knew or heard that suggested with my previous B&G speed transducer which worked OK for 35 years, in and out quite often.

I hope it is not true since I sail the boat quite often but pull the transducer between each outing. So adding a disconnect/reconnect step each time would probably add 1/2 hour to my preparation routine (maybe less).

So, if the instruments are not turned on what would the transducer care if it is in the water or in the little puddle in the bilge where it sits when it is out? (t is actully my shower sump, UGH!)
Old 05-09-2023, 06:19   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
That is interesting Jedi. I have only a year, (less actually) with my DST810. Never knew or heard that suggested with my previous B&G speed transducer which worked OK for 35 years, in and out quite often.

I hope it is not true since I sail the boat quite often but pull the transducer between each outing. So adding a disconnect/reconnect step each time would probably add 1/2 hour to my preparation routine (maybe less).

So, if the instruments are not turned on what would the transducer care if it is in the water or in the little puddle in the bilge where it sits when it is out? (t is actully my shower sump, UGH!)
Not sure how but that they often fail when pulled is an observation. You can make it much easier, with a switch. The Maretron power-T (normally for powering nmea) has two positive and two negative wires coming out. Insert that T in the -drop- cable to the transducer and put a double pole switch on the leads to connect/disconnect the power conductors

Old 05-09-2023, 07:06   #13

Boat: Farr 43`

When you purchase a replacement DST it comes with a new thru hull fitting.
Attach the fitting to a PVC standpipe glued to the bilge.
Fill with water vinegar mix and park the DST when removed.
Paddle wheel will be clean and transducer will stay cool when powering the system dockside.
Park the plug in the standpipe when the transducer is in use instead of rattling around in the bilge.
Rucksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 14:29   #14

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

Once I have cleaned mine I put a coat of copper anti seize (for spark plugs) on it and last most of the season. Cheap at auto parts stores.
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan104 View Post
Once I have cleaned mine I put a coat of copper anti seize (for spark plugs) on it and last most of the season. Cheap at auto parts stores.
Great suggestion. I had some left and put that on as a test. I don’t dare to put it on the sounder surface afraid that it may affect the sounding. Lets see how it will hold compared to AF and nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	280692