Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: any advantages of wing keels ?
few ? 7 38.89%
none besides shallow draft ? 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 07:51   #1

Any advantages of Wing Keels ?

hi - i am looking at a Sabre 362 - most seem to have wing keels. Seems only advantage of them is shallow draft. Are there any advantages relating to sailing performance on or off the wind including downwind. I know a few degrees is lost pointing and have read some of the previous discussions on the Forum. Tx.
PHK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 08:26   #2

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Re: Any advantages of Wing Keels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHK1 View Post
hi - i am looking at a Sabre 362 - most seem to have wing keels. Seems only advantage of them is shallow draft. Are there any advantages relating to sailing performance on or off the wind including downwind. I know a few degrees is lost pointing and have read some of the previous discussions on the Forum. Tx.
I can see the attraction of wing keels if you are going to be sailing in skinny water a lot. But that same skinny water makes it more likely that you will ground out (whatever your draft) and therein IMO lies the problem. If you ground out with a wing keel it is reportedly much more difficult to get off. You have two things working against you 1. Greater surface area creating greater friction/suction to the sea bed, and 2. You can't heel the boat to reduce draft.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 08:27   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

A Sabre 362 PHRF rating is about 117 with a wing keel and 105 without (and 114 with a centerboard).
So you are giving up 12 seconds a mile for the wing keel. Wing keeled boats are much faster than deep keels that are stuck in the mud.
Old 28-04-2021, 08:46   #4

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
If you do run aground, leaning the boat will not reduce draft like it would on a conventional keel and more importantly leaning the boat to reduce draft increases the likelihood of bending a "keel wing".
Old 28-04-2021, 09:13   #5

Also if you sail in the south you will catch a lot more crab pots.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:19   #6

Boat: Catalina 375

I had one and got rid of it. I found it slipped too much when sailing to wind ie. It did not point well and slipped degrees as I was sailing. Had to compensate all the time. Never again. Also did not feel as stable in a blow. I agree with other comments about wedging off as well.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:24   #7

Quote: "Are there any advantages relating to sailing performance..."

Not so that a cruising man would notice. Just stuff for the gung-ho racing crowd to think about. S'long as you always keep a foot or two of water under your keel, you'll not notice that the keel has wings :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

As noted, some advantage, some disadvantage.

Advantage, better upwind performance than the same boat with the same draft without wings. How much? Enough that it won an America's cup years back. Is it enough to matter for a cruiser? Depends on your preferences and criteria.

Disadvantage, running aground.
- tends to stick tighter in the mud
- heeling the boat does not reduce draft to help get off.
- more susceptible to damage.

If a great deal on a boat you love I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but overall would rather go without the wing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 10:17   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

I've only sailed a couple wings because they are not desirous on the west coast, but if someone hadn't TOLD me it was a wing I don't think I'd have noticed the difference.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 10:18   #10

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
I had one and got rid of it. I found it slipped too much when sailing to wind ie. It did not point well and slipped degrees as I was sailing. Had to compensate all the time. Never again. Also did not feel as stable in a blow. I agree with other comments about wedging off as well.
That's interesting. The original winged keel on Australia II was designed to improve windward performance by generating lift. As that technology "trickled down," however, we see boats with stubby keels with hunks of not-so-hydrodynamically shaped lead fastened on. Not surprising that they are less efficient than fin keels.
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 10:32   #11

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Are there any advantages relating to sailing performance on or off the wind including downwind.
No (IMHO)

Winged keels became 'all the rage' after the '83 America's Cup when the Aussies kicked our butt winning 3 races in succession in the 7-races series, after being down 3-1. But to the best of my knowledge, it was never shown that the radical and controversial winged keel was the deciding factor. However the recreational market didn't care, and manufacturers began producing winged keel boats because it sold boats / that's what buyers wanted.

The winged keel's short comings are already spelled out by others in the thread. However, were it me, I would not, 'not' buy a cruising boat I liked just because it had a winged keel. I'd just be more cautious in 'skinny' water for any uncharted thin spots.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 10:47   #12

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

They will keep your boat upright while you await Towboats

Saw several in the ICW North of Charleston .
Old 28-04-2021, 10:59   #13

Boat: Sabre 402

I have a Sabre 402 with a wing keel, not by specific choice, just because that's what the boat we ended up buying had. It saves us a good deal of worry in some of the shallower spots in and around Buzzard's Bay - and at our marina, where with a deep draft keel we'd really only be able to make it into the dock at high tide - but as Ardberg suggests, you definitely give up some pointing ability compared to the deeper fin, and no, there aren't any ways in which the sailing performance of a shallower wing keel is better than the sailing performance of a deeper fin keel. If you'll be racing, those few degrees will be a killer. If you'll be cruising, they can still be an annoyance, but we've been okay with the tradeoff.

All things being equal, if I could wave a magic wand and turn my boat into the deeper fin keel version, I'd do it.
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 11:00   #14

Boat: Contessa 32

When the water level drops below the hull bottom, the boat sits nice and steady at the slip.

Ask me how I know
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 11:03   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'beats a CQR for holding in mud and clay!

Tags
keel