Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2008, 15:32   #1

Any boatmodel cheaper in Europe than USA?

Do you have huge taxes if you import a boat from Europe? Any boatmodel cheaper in europe than usa? In size 38-48f, and used.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 16:55   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
no, just check Yachtworld.
Old 28-07-2008, 01:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
no, just check Yachtworld.
Done that, just because i could not find any...thats why i started this thread...

Hanse?
Old 28-07-2008, 01:39   #4

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hey!

Being a resident of euorope I have glanced on the US market. I recently helped a friend trying to find a suitable boat in the US. Prices over on your side of the Atlantic are genberally 10-50% lower than here, depending on the model. It would even be cheaper for me to go to USA and buy a used Hallberg Rassy or Najad, trip included. That's a bit sick as the boats are built only 4 hours away from where I live. So, the answer to your question is most likely no. no boats are cheaper in EU than in USA.

/Hampus
Old 28-07-2008, 02:05   #5

But...

You had to pay swedish V.A.T on boatprice, insurance for transportation and transportation. And the V.A.T is 25% on all things to import the boat and even a import duty % ??

And the boat MUST be CE approved, even a used one.

Maybe you can get 2 receipt when you buy the boat...one with real price and one cheap?

Or can i own a US flagged boat as a swedish citizen? And use the boat in Sweden to. I know you can get a insurance on the boat for transportation/sailing home but a "real" insurance?
Old 28-07-2008, 02:14   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57
You cannot own a US documented boat as a non-American, but get a registry of convenience - i.e. BVI, Gibraltar, Malta, etc. and then bring it into the EU, just remember that it must "leave" the EU after a fixed period otherwise you will have to pay the V.A.T. I can't recall what the current rules are, but they are at least a year.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 02:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
You cannot own a US documented boat as a non-American, but get a registry of convenience - i.e. BVI, Gibraltar, Malta, etc. and then bring it into the EU, just remember that it must "leave" the EU after a fixed period otherwise you will have to pay the V.A.T. I can't recall what the current rules are, but they are at least a year.
Perfect, BVI, Gibraltar or Malta. And then i will insurance the boat in these countries if i understund right. And when you say leave the EU, do you think it´s ok with a couple of mounths?
Old 28-07-2008, 02:25   #8

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
But...

You had to pay swedish V.A.T on boatprice, insurance for transportation and transportation. And the V.A.T is 25% on all things to import the boat and even a import duty % ??

And the boat MUST be CE approved, even a used one.

Maybe you can get 2 receipt when you buy the boat...one with real price and one cheap?

Or can i own a US flagged boat as a swedish citizen? And use the boat in Sweden to. I know you can get a insurance on the boat for transportation/sailing home but a "real" insurance?
VAT on the Azores is only around 15%. The boat needs to be insured either way. Hallberg Rassy or Najad are already wide spread on the market as they were built here, thus wouldn't require a CE approval. Ofcaurse, if it was built after 1998 it would already be approved.

/Hampus
Old 28-07-2008, 03:17   #9

Leaving the EU can be for just a couple of hours. I think the Med boats go to Gibraltar, get a fuel receipt, and then return in order to reset their "VAT Clocks". The insurance companies care more about your sailing grounds, risk category and insured values than the boat registration.

Hampus - a new European made boat delivered and sold in the USA usually does not have a CE certificate even though the type does.
Old 28-07-2008, 05:56   #10

Boat: FP Orana 44
Why get it CE marked. I know the law says so but in my opinion you can just ignore it. I do. I imported my current US made boat last year from the US to Sweden and I didn't bother to get it CE approved and marked.

Cheers, Johan
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 06:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
Why get it CE marked. I know the law says so but in my opinion you can just ignore it. I do. I imported my current US made boat last year from the US to Sweden and I didn't bother to get it CE approved and marked.

Cheers, Johan
Any problem with the insurance? What kind of boat is it?
Old 28-07-2008, 07:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
You cannot own a US documented boat as a non-American,

This is not correct. You can, as a non US citizen, own a US documented vessel. You just have to do it through a shell corporation. Delaware is the best state for setting this up. Some time ago non US citizens could not skipper US documented recreational craft but that regulation was changed long ago.
Old 28-07-2008, 08:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
This is not correct. You can, as a non US citizen, own a US documented vessel. You just have to do it through a shell corporation. Delaware is the best state for setting this up. Some time ago non US citizens could not skipper US documented recreational craft but that regulation was changed long ago.
Soo i can own a USA flagged boat?

Delaware, had to check this...
Old 28-07-2008, 08:38   #14

Vasco - no you cannot go through a shell corporation either in the method you have described!

Look at the chapter "HOW DO I ESTABLISH U.S. CITIZENSHIP?" at USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page for the letter of the law.

p.s. I have gone through this before. The same rules apply to US Aircraft, and although I actually own a Deleware corporation it just doesn't work out, and I've tried. The way the law is intended and works is that to own the asset (boat/airplane) I would have to give all control to some hired board member. And the wording is such that you can't play around with different types of shares (voting/non-voting) in order to circumvent this ownership.
Old 28-07-2008, 08:58   #15

Zanshin,

I have met two cruisers who were non US citizens and owned US flagged vessels and cruised them using this device. One was an Israeli couple and the other was from a South American country. Yes you have to go through the hoops and trust the lawyers. For many this is a leap of faith.

Tags
Europe