Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 10:34   #31

Re: Any input truly appreciated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hic ego qui... View Post
Hi, I am Olli from Germany and new to this site. I am in the market for a new boat and narrowed my search down to 4 or 5 boats.
I would love to get some input from people who know them, own them or have sailed them.
To myself: I started sailing at a young age. Firstly on dinghies, then on 420 and 470. Later on on Hobies. My first experiences on bigger boats I had in the Mediterranean when I was around 15/16 years old.
My cruising licenses I did on a Hunter 40 and a Bavaria 42.
I am not a blue water cruiser but it is my intention to outfit a boat within the next 2 years and leave Germany. I am searching for a good liveaboard with blue water potential. Preferably sloop rigged. Suitable for a crew of maximum 4 with the possibility to accommodate guests sometimes. After month and month of shopping around. I came to like following boats.

1. 1991 Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
2. 1971 Le Comte Fastnet 45 ( really drawn to this boat )
3. 1980 Gulfstar 50' ( little worried about the ketch rig, never sailed it)
4. 1976 Plaver Sciarelli 49'( ketch rig as well )
5. 1982 Lafiite 44' ( the teak worries me quite a bit)

As said, I would appreciate any input I can get regarding these boats.
Maybe not the answer you are expecting: we did a 1 year across the atlantic trip with a Beneteau 43. We made friends with so called Water boats">blue water boats, and they all admitted pur boat was definitely the most comfortable one. We are leaving again next year for a 4 to 5 year trip with the same boat. Any well maintained boat will do !
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 11:06   #32

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

In fact, was going to first recommend the Jeanneau, as an owner of an offshore serious cruiser. Always envy my friends with the French boats that on the mooring and marina are by far more comfortable.
Maybe need some reinforcement of the standing rig (running backstays) and be more careful in severe conditions. I would also reinforce the dodger/sprayhood and bimini with removable side panels.

I still love my center cockpit Contest, but would probably happy with a Jeanneau or a Beneteau if properly refitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Hanse37 View Post
Maybe not the answer you are expecting: we did a 1 year across the atlantic trip with a Beneteau 43. We made friends with so called blue water boats, and they all admitted pur boat was definitely the most comfortable one. We are leaving again next year for a 4 to 5 year trip with the same boat. Any well maintained boat will do !
Old 15-05-2020, 11:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
In fact, was going to first recommend the Jeanneau, as an owner of an offshore serious cruiser. Always envy my friends with the French boats that on the mooring and marina are by far more comfortable.
Maybe need some reinforcement of the standing rig (running backstays) and be more careful in severe conditions. I would also reinforce the dodger/sprayhood and bimini with removable side panels.

I still love my center cockpit Contest, but would probably happy with a Jeanneau or a Beneteau if properly refitted.
We did not do any reinforcements, but will change standing rigging before leaving for the long trip. Dodger and sprayhood wil be okay in our experience. We had the boat, fortunately only once, in severe conditions leaving Surinam for Tobago. I was astounded by the ease our Beneteau handled the sideway swell, so we didn’t even bother change course. These boats are better than most people think
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:46   #34

Boat: S/V, Little Harbor, 62'

What about a 1982 Little Harbor 62’? Designed and tried for Blue Water sailing.
californiasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 18:14   #35

Boat: A55

Coincidentally, Dolf LeComte was one of my best friend’s father. Passed away a couple years ago. Built a really nice, solid boat. To be able to buy one of his boats that has been well cared for over the years is a special opportunity. I hope the boat checks out and suits your needs, if it does I’m sure it will please you for years to come.

If you haven’t read Dick Carter’s book, his first real boat was a LeComte with which he did the Fastest race. The rest is history.
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 18:25   #36

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Stay away from the Teak decks. Would maybe consider if they have been renewed in the last couple of years. Otherwise you are in for a large expense at some stage.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 18:38   #37

Wow, I haven't been on here for a while and I want to say that I haven't expected so much input. Thank you very much to all of you!
At the end I got stuck on the Fastnet and the Lafitte. Jeanneaus, Beneteaus, Bavarias, Hunters etc. They are all great boats. There áre countless offers at the moment in Italy, Greece, Croatia and so forth. Obviously related to the drop of guests in the Charter business caused by COVID 19.
I am working on a time frame of three years to outfit the boat for blue water cruising. I am still working on a daily basis.
I was looking for something that intrigued me. Like I was intrigued when I sailed a Hobie for the very first time. Something that would jump out at me and would encourage me to make it to my own. Always keeping my budget in mind.
I know Jeanneaus and Bavarias from sailing them in the Med. I know a Hunter from doing my Basic Cruising license on the Great Lakes.
And yes, they are comfortable, easy to handle and nice to sail but I never had the "Wow" effect. No offense to anybody.
The Lafitte is a one owner boat. Since new there is a full record of maintenance and replacements to the boat. Never chartered. The teak has still 7mm standing, according to the owner and it is bolted from the top. And, I know lot of problems with teak but I do love it and I can just imagine how beautiful the boat looks once it has been restored. Honestly, I have never been on a Lafitte. I just fell in love with the design of the boat. And I have to admit the workmanship in the interior is outstanding. And according to what I read and hear they are extremely capable boats. The cockpit size is ok for me as there will be hardly ever more than three people on board. I love to sail alone or with a small crew.
So. as I can travel again, I will go to Italy and get her surveyed.
The Fastnet has never left fresh water. Also a one owner boat but sails need to be replaced within the next 2 years. The electronics are original. But hull and Rigging are rock solid. The boat has a short waterline and seems a bit more cramped than the Lafitte . I have never been on a Fastnet either. Let alone sail one. There are extremely rare here. But boy what a beautiful looking boat. Just unique, nowadays. No question, she will be surveyed as well.
I definitely will keep you posted as things unfold.
hic ego qui... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 18:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasusie View Post
What about a 1982 Little Harbor 62’? Designed and tried for Blue Water sailing.
Out of my budget, for sure.
hic ego qui... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 17:55   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Kiss 47

I know I'm late for the party, but I wanted to add intimate knowledge about the Jeanneau SK47 for posterity's sake. I wish someone had done that before I bought my SK47. It would have been helpful.

First, ten years ago, I looked hard at a Fastnet 45. Gorgeous boat, but there were sailing and build issues with them that kept me away. John Harries wrote a great article titled "Are Refits Worth It?" about refitting his. The short answer is he sold it.

The Lafitte 44 is a great boat, but fixing extensive deck issues will be expensive. They aren't fast, but they aren't slow either. I owned a Hans Christian 38 mkII. I refurbed the teak decks, and I loved them: no leaks or soft spots and beautiful. That said, I won't likely buy a boat with teak decks again.

My SK47 was not my first choice, and I only discovered it by accident on YW. I knew nothing about them, and information is scant on the internet. As I like traditional boats, I've owned the HC 38, a wooden gaff-rigged Atkin schooner, and Alberg 35. The SK47 is a very different modern-ish design, but with enough traditional wood touches below to make me happy.

The good: I fell in love with the SK47 interior and layout. I have the owner's cabin version with the Pullman berth, whalebone beams in the cabins, two large guest cabins, two heads, a dedicated sail locker forward, huge lazarettes in the cockpit, a fantastic swim platform, and a large cockpit that sleeps three.

I sailed my boat from Hawaii to the Philippines and had lots of time to figure out what made the boat happy. The boat sails fast compared to any on the OP's list and will easily surf. However, it took some time to get used to the speed. This boat loves anything over 6 knots of boat speed and starts flying over 8kt. Going 10-11kt sustained in the right conditions is not unusual. The boat is much faster when sailed flat. Reef early, and you will gain a knot or two of speed. Also, a flat sailing boat makes working around the decks much easier in bumpy seas.

My SK47 is a 1988. The hull is still in perfect condition. No blisters.

The bad: Leaky and crazed Lexan portlights that run along and on top of the cabin top. Neglect by the PO's left me with damaged ceiling woodwork. It's mainly cosmetic issues, but it certainly offends my sense of vanity. Find a dry SK47 if you can. The interior marine plywood below will be compromised somewhere if it's a leaky boat, floors for sure.

In the open sea, this boat hates going slower than 3-4kt. The transom slap from a following sea will drive a man to madness. The answer for the impatient (me), of course, is to turn on the engine. In calmer water, this isn't a problem and the boat sails along peacefully.

The bottom will occasionally slap if you beat upwind, but the hull is STRONG with no hull flex. Back in the '80s, these boats were designed to compete with the quality Scandinavian boats like Swan. These are not the modern charter boats built later.

The in-line galley kind of sucks for the two percent of the time you use the boat while sailing. It's brilliant for the remaining 98% at anchor. You will need to strap yourself in when on the ocean and working through your Betty Crocker cookbook.

I am adding additional ceiling handholds in the salon to keep me from falling across my 14' beam.

I dearly miss a traditional bilge to catch all water ingress. Unfortunately, the grid structure under the SK47 floors doesn't pass water well. Although my boat is now dry, it's best not to store anything under the floors or risk damage. Water will get there somehow, someday.

Overall, the SK47 is a far different boat than I would have previously chosen. That said, she is a good teacher, and once the owner learns her peculiarities, her strengths begin to shine. Although I still visually prefer traditional designs, I don't think I will ever go back to a slower and tippy prone boat.

I've spent the last year refurbishing and modifying my SK47 here in the Philippines based on what I learned on my ocean passage here. I am now preparing for a North Pacific run this spring back to San Diego, CA, via Japan and the Aleutian Islands. I wouldn't do that if I didn't trust this boat.

Darren

_______