Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2023, 13:34   #1

Any Newport 30-3 owners here? Shower sump vs Stinky bilge

Any Newport 30 mark III owners here?
Curious if anyone has rerouted their shower drain. And if so, how they did it.
Considering purchase of a 30-3, which is the "cruising" version of Newport 30 with larger tankage and perhaps more space. It's a very nice build but, god, it stinks.
The shower in head flows into molded pan with drain-

The pan then drains into a shallow bilge-

I thought here I'd pick up the drain below the pan with some hosing and lead to enclosed sump w/ pump.
But when I popped the floor and looked to forward end of bilge, there were no obvious hoses / holes / exit routes from which the water flowed. The water just seemed to ooze into the bilge from perhaps small openings at top-

Any opinions on how this is engineered?
Just a channel "groove" laid into surface of lower glass at front of bilge before another layer of glass is applied as top, enclosing channel groove below cabin sole?
Can't be that rudimentary. What if it clogs, blocked by growth? Stick a wire hanger up it to clear? Can't be that rudimentary.
starsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 08:02   #2

Re: Any Newport 30-3 owners here? Shower sump vs Stinky bilge

Wew. Does the edit post option disappear after a certain amount of time? The attached images could be replaced with smaller.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:21   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you can't get your hands (or a mirror) under the shower pan to see what's there .. not sure what else you can do
Old 10-08-2023, 10:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
if you can't get your hands (or a mirror) under the shower pan to see what's there .. not sure what else you can do

Yeah, like flip up wooden grate within head, unscrew the metallic drain disk, and then use a small dentist-like mirror on handle to peak around.

It really does look like there must be a hollow cavity in fiberglass below that drain. And then one or more "channels" or grooves in fiberglass which run aft into bilge. The reason I say this is because when I ran the water in head into the shower pan and then stepped out and looked into and towards front of bilge (pictured above), the water entered from top seam across the top of bilge. Totally nondescript drizzling of water running down front wall of bilge, no obvious entry point.

I don't immediately see how I could pull up cabin sole outside the head to investigate. Plus, it's not my boat. Lol. Potential purchase.. provided the design doesn't prevent clearing out the stench.

It's a 1986 boat, designed to feature a shower w/pressurized hot water. There could indeed be a separate shower sump unknown to owner, designed to drain in some fashion and perhaps blocked, and now just fills up and overflows into bilge. Not its intended design.

Tags
bilge, newport, shower, shower sump