Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 16:01   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Alajuela 38, Cape George 36, both derivations of Atkins designs that are very good sailors.

Just can'y get behind the Perry canoe sterned boats. Only reason to be pointy on both ends is if you have a rudder hanging off of it. Also most of the Perry boats had wheels which are abominations, unnatural and no fun.

Aloha
Peter O.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 17:52   #17

Been reading up on the Pacific Seacraft 37. Looks like a helluva boat. Any opinions?
coyotewrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 21:10   #18
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
The Hans Christians are a good traditional looking boat! And damn seaworthy too.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 21:53   #19

Cape Dory too....
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 22:22   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Pacific Seacraft 37

I've crewed on two of them. One, I helped deliver from Santa Barbara to San Francisco, and the other I crewed in the Marquesas (South Pacific) for about a week. I like them a lot -- well-mannered, good sailors. Fairly heavy, not a lot of room below. A well-built boat that can take you anywhere. Comfortable in a seaway (relatively, anyway). Definitely a "displacement" boat, not a surfer. To my eye, one of the prettiest sailboats around:

Intention, Departing San Francisco for Hiva-Oa

I've got a Pacific Seacraft 44 (sort of a stretched 37), so I will admit to being biased...

Here is the website for my friend's 37, still in the South Pacific: Intention
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 23:20   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotewrw
Been reading up on the Pacific Seacraft 37. Looks like a helluva boat. Any opinions?
When I was searching for my current boat I had settled into the 37-38 ft range. I had developed a "wish list" that included several models. Although it was outside of my budget, I included the Crealock 37 (Pacific Seacraft). Occasionally, I'd look at the listings and think, "If I could have the one I wanted, that would be it."

Once I narrowed my search down to a handful of boats, I hit the road, traveling up and down the east coast (U.S.) to take a look. While I was on the circuit, I thought, "Why not take a look at a couple of the Crealocks?"

The problem was, once I'd taken a close look at the Pacific Seacraft boats, none of the others I'd been looking at came close by comparison. Big mistake, right? It's out of the budget, so why did you do that?

I hadn't even considered the 34 at that point, but then after a broker showed me a 37 in Connecticut, he casually mentioned a 34 that he had listed. I went aboard and discovered that it is virtually identical to the 37 - just a bit smaller. I had one of those gut feelings from the moment I climbed aboard. That would be the boat.

So, to answer your question, I don't have experience with the Crealock 37 any more than a couple of sea trials, but I've owned Raven, my Crealock 34, for two years. In that time, I can honestly say that I have found virtually nothing to fault with the boat. She is in the medium displacement range and has all the right numbers for a blue water cruiser. She sails extremely well and is easily handled singlehanded. Those who prefer the dockside party boats might not look at her the same as I do, though. Her canoe stern does not allow an aft cabin and it limits the size of the cockpit. (When scaling down from the 37 to the 34, the length of the cabin was not sacrificed much at all, as a good bit of the length came out of the cockpit.) Personally, I prefer a smaller volume cockpit at sea, though.

Everything about the boat is bombproof with top notch construction practices throughout. Mine was built as a sloop rig, but most of the 34's and 37's are set up as cutters. I like the sloop for shorthanded sailing, but will consider adding another stay if I decide to cross an ocean with her. I have a scheel keel and draw 4' 1". I may lose a few seconds per mile to windward, but the advantages of the reduced draft far outweigh that penalty. The rudder is skeg-hung with the prop protected in an enclosure. The rudder assembly is as solid as I've ever seen. I have a Yanmar 3HM35F auxillary that has been trouble free.

The interior layout is traditional with galley to port, quarterberth and nav station to starboard, settees that also make good sea berths, plus a v-berth. My cabin is entirely teak with heavy cast bronze portlights and Bomar hatches. The cabinetry is top notch and there are many little extra "touches" that clearly show that the design has been very thoroughly thought out.

Again, it's a very traditional design and mine is pretty low tech compared with many of the boats on the market. For electronics, I run a VHF at the nav station with a remote mic at the helm, a radar, depth/speed/temp/wind, an ST6000+ autohelm, and a stereo. The hull has a copper ground for SSB moulded in. Ice for cooling the fridge. Sweat for cranking the windlass and the winches.

Solid, well designed, impeccably crafted, and great fun to sail. Not a race boat. Not a dockside party boat. A terrific, safe home for me, though.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39   #22

Costs can be a factor but the very best always cost more.

Here is a very traditional design in the Bristol Channel Cutter. At 28 feet it has more room below than many 35 footers.

I particularly like the wide side decks.

It is also a great sailer.

http://roguewaveyachtsales.com/rogue...es/e278823.jpg
pmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:45   #23

Boat: gozzard 44
Gozzards, made in Canada, are very traditional looking. They range from 31 to 44 feet. Newer ones have modern underbodies and are available with conventional interior layouts if desired.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:03   #24

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I know that it has probably been explained many times before, but I cant get pic posted here. I have been able to get one in the gallery, but I cant get one posted here. I feel like a moron but I need help
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 13:37   #25

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Lord Nelson 35

I have a Lord Nelson 35............great boat, and better than a Tayana 37. You should also look at the Hans Christian 33, and the Baba 35. Lots of great "classic" looking boats out there. Good Luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 14:06   #26

Colin Archer

Colin Archer

Or if this is classic enough?

Diva Yachts (This one is Diva 38)

Diva 36, Classic enough?

freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:21   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Those curves look good in a brochure but have ya ever tried sleeping on something like that in a seaway? Not for me, unless I just want a dockside condo.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Those curves look good in a brochure but have ya ever tried sleeping on something like that in a seaway? Not for me, unless I just want a dockside condo.
I have been in the first Diva 38, and itīs very nice. Offcause itīs darker inside compared to all modern boats.

Diva 36 looks more like a mix between old and new. I did not like the beds!
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:57   #29

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I would suggest the Hans Christian Hans Christian
Old 07-08-2008, 15:17   #30

Take a look at Cape Dories. Carl Alberg design, full keel, attached rudder, deep REAL bilge.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tayana 37