Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 08:22   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Any recommendations for boat surveyor in South/Central Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
as a matter of curiosity...what boat are you looking at ? Thinkin' of buying ?
Formosa 41

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...sa-41-3195887/
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

that's an oldie, but a goodie....I love those older style boats myself..., but yeah, a 1977 model is gonna take a sharp eye, and it looks like a bit of love and attention required.

price is certainly attractive !!

dang, wish Suenos was available to come look at this boat....but you got time, first sea trial and then boat will need to be hauled for survey, etc....and with you out of town...you could manage to put off closing for 4 weeks...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:45   #18

I might just put offer contingent on survey by Suenos and wait however long it takes.

I've been looking for 2 years for right boat at right price, what's another month or two?

I'm willing to invest in this boat to make it a good home that can take me around the world. But need to know if it's worth investment. So willing to invest in a good survey.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:00   #19
Marine Service Provider

yah, it's a 1977 model, has many upgrades, but needs a close look. Nonetheless, back in the 70's, fiberglass was still a relatively new material, so those earlier boats were built with bullet proof thick hulls...
hull blisters could be a concern on this age boat...but then again, maybe not
I think your idea is good...a contingent offer...if you like the boat, call Suenos right away and get him scheduled.
exciting stuff !!! a round the world trip.....yeehah....that will get the juices going.....have to wait for this C-19 thing to pass...but you got time...
Old 10-07-2020, 10:24   #20

Well, at least half way — to the Philippines.

That's where we will retire to in a few years. That's where my wife is from.

First a few years in Florida to shake the boat down/refit. Then off to the Caribbean for a few years. Then the Philippines. So probably 5-6 years before we take that trip.

Still, want a boat that will be able to make the trip in comfort and style.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:32   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

Try Brian Stetler at amarinesurveyor.com, 561-312-7544. I used him a couple of years ago. FWIW, he also surveyed the catamaran for Gone with the Wynns. Good luck.

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:33   #22

Boat: Oyster 054
Send a message via Skype™ to sailian89

Thoroughly recommend TwoCanSail, Couples Cruising, Buyers Brokers, Consultants and Surveyors Known them for thirty plus years, vert thorough. Tell them Ian n Cindy recommended from NZ
sailian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:34   #23

Thank you StuartSailor!

Thank you sailian89!
Old 10-07-2020, 11:01   #24

All I'm getting is voicemails. Very frustrating.

Ok, noob question here. TwoCanSail says they are buyers brokers, does this mean they are like real estate agents, you have a broker for the buyer and the seller and the commission is split between the two?

Not real happy with the seller's broker. He's said a couple things that were not bad or wrong... just rubbed me wrong way.

"not going to do full sea trial just up and down canal" or something similar... like trying to over control normal selling process I've learned about from reading and from this forum.

Edit to add, just sent me contract wanted me to sign it. Haven't even looked at the boat yet. It's a bit more pressure than I like. Replied with a thank you and won't sign anything until I look at boat and won't buy without a survey.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:11   #25

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

You are wise to ask here. I didn't and chose a listed SAMS surveyor that was available to fit my schedule for a Fort Lauderdale Pre-purchase survey.
It was the worst survey ever. I do not believe he ever set foot on the boat. He sent a friend to record a list of equipment and after that I met the surveyor at the haulout while he checked the bottom (it was OK) and he told me it was too hot to get into the boat later so he would have to do it the next day when I would have to be in the air back to AZ.
He missed a huge life raft stored in the mail salon and then put it in the recommendations of required items I needed and my insurance company demanded it. (it was a little out of date so I just replaced it)
He recorded the hull ID # wrong and it was hard getting that corrected.

Hope it works out for you. You could PM me for the name.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:17   #26

Thank you Seriously Slow.

PMed.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:42   #27
Marine Service Provider

it's fricken hot in Florida right now.....hot...hot..hot....brutally hot...we have had a west wind forever....keeps the cooler seabreeze away...

yeah, getting a good marine surveyor is key here, especially for an older boat.

many folks in south Florida pass themselves off as a marine surveyor....but truth be told....they know squat as above posts have detailed...

down in south Florida there is a veritable beehive of brokers...they wheel and deal amongst themselves, etc, etc, etc.....have you ever been to a used car lot...." you're gonna look good in that car" story line....

I have mixed feelings about boat brokers ....some good one's around, but a lot of used car salesmen as well.

DON'T sign anything or agree to ANYTHING, until you are happy. Any broker wanting you to sign off on a boat unseen is already suspect in my mind..

You're gonna get the " this boat could be gone tomorrow, unless you sign today" story line...plus others....there's a whole litany of sales " talk"..."got another buyer coming tomorrow".....they are gonna work you, be prepared for that..

Keep your checkbook firmly in your pocket, until YOU are satisfied with everything.

You might want to research marina's where you will want to keep the boat. The minute you buy the boat, the marina clock activates....another reason to postpone any agreement until you are totally satisfied.

Then, there is always the possibility you won't like the boat for one or other reason, this where the brokers can get real ugly, as they feel you are wasting their time, etc.. and they will try to put the squeeze on you....

so, yeah, don't even talk money until after you've seen the boat. even though $20K sounds like a good deal, there might be other issues you can negotiate...owner sounds desperate anyways....mostly likely just wants to get from under monthly dockage payments...

Finally, there is the issue of insurance....not sure about getting 1977 boat insured and you may have to do some homework here..
Old 10-07-2020, 11:47   #28
Marine Service Provider

finally.....forgot to add.....a seller will likely have a broker...the guy listing the boat....and you might have your own broker...this means the brokers have to spit the sales commission. ....always an interesting tug of war.....
at the end of the day....the broker or brokers care only about one thing !! the sales commission !!!

I should also add...boat registration.....you can get the boat registered or documented....if you plan to leave for far flung places, I recommend getting the boat documented.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:58   #29

Thank you MicHughV

USCG documented? Yes I intend to do that.

I already have boat loan pre approved, insurance pre approved, and Marina pre approved to take it to stay.

Only thing in my way right now is broker who's making me... leery... at this point, and getting a surveyor who will survey the boat... lol.

So far only Suenos (4 week wait) has answered the phone.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:18   #30
Marine Service Provider

well, I can't add anything more to what has already been said here by me and others....

me, I would plan around Suenos, get a date from him to his availability and plan around that....4 weeks will zip by quickly.....for sure, the brokers will try to bully you into an early sale...there aren't going to be many prospective buyers for a 1977 boat, and it's been sitting for a while, let it sit another 4 weeks....it ain't going anywhere....

Tags
boat, florida, men, survey, surveyor