Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2007, 08:26   #1

any thoughts on the Irwin MK V

Im now looking for my 2nd boat and live aboard. My first boat was a 36 Scanmar. Great boat and I regret selling it but my situation dictated so no choice. I have been looking now for a while and as you know there is no perfect boat. That being said, I have found an Irwin MK V that has been a live aboard for a couple and thier daughter. The boat is very clean and has many upgrades. New wiring, new a/c, new canvas, radar, new plumbing, new heads. You get the idea. Now my issue is the boat was born in 1980. It has a Perkins 4-108 50 hp. They are not sure of the hours. I had a diesel mechanic take a look and said that it seems fine and that by the look and wear that she has about 2000 hours. Also said that she looks like she has been well maintained. I know that these engines have a great reputation.
The other question is that the boat has a 4 ft draft with a modified keel. I know that she wont point to weather like my old boat which had a 6 ft draft. But I plan to cruise Fla. and the Bahamas, so the shallow draft would be nice. Any thoughts? Thanks!
jerryscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 08:46   #2

My uncle owned the Irwin and I helped him cruise it on many ocassions. It is not a fast boat and as you point out does not point well at all. You may find that you have to motor sail alot unless you take care to plan your routes carefully. I think the boat is basically sound, but it is by no means a blue water boat, more of coastal cruiser.

As always, with a boat this age, I would recomend a full survey (including quick haul to inspect the bottom & keel) by the most competant surveyer you can find AND to also get an engine survey for that age boat.

These were essentially price point boats.

Have fun!

Ken

Like a moth to a flame, I am drawn to the sea.
kenackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 09:31   #3

Thanks for the thoughts. Thats what I thought. I wouldnt think of buying a boat with out a survey of both the boat or the engine. I also believe that the Irwin might not be enough boat for what I want to do. I might stay close to the coast but would like the option to go off shore. Im in Charleston, SC. so I will keep looking. Thanks.
jerryscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 03:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Ken said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenackr View Post
These were essentially price point boats.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin