Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 11:21   #1

Boat: Seahawk 48
Anybody know this boat?

I have a Stan Huntingford “Seahawk 48”. It was built in Tacoma boat works in 1977, launched in 1985 for a 10 year circumnavigation. I have yet to find anybody who has owned one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51753FEA-BECB-4DC0-9484-BCE47401DF22.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	215631  
sirlandsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:52   #2

Re: Anybody know this boat?

HI ....I bought one a year ago...hull was designed in 1976...I have the first hull of 12....it was not launched until 2007.
I too have been looking for more owners ..there is much info I need and donot have access to....How do you like yours ?
billgem123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:44   #3

Wow! Yes we love it. We are a family of 4 that live aboard on Canada’s west coast. “Elrond” was made in The tacoma boat yards in 1977 and launched in 1985. The owners then circumnavigated for 10 years. It then spent many years on the hard until the last owners purchased it about 14 years ago. It sails beautifully, is much faster than I would have thought. Often 6-7 kts. We have had it up to 8.2. We dream of going far one day but we need to fix things up before that happens. Where did you find yours? Strangely enough, I did see a hull in a tiny marina on BC coast a few summers ago, it was tied up, no mast and almost empty hull. I never did talk to the owner. How did you find out yours is number 7?
Old 09-01-2021, 22:11   #4

Glad to know I am not the only one here...My boat was #1 hull .... the builder was private named Dan Johnson ....my understanding is he purchased the mold ....had my boat made and sold the mold to to a builder ...I will assume it was your Tacoma Builder .....my boat is a rear cockpit design ketch rig....and when I bought was 85% done .I am planning to install a hard dodger by spring
I am on the island as well....my boat is unusually fast as well....comfort ratio is extremely high ...do you know how much yours weighs ...I was told 26 ton but that is unusual for a 48 ' boat.
How many feet of sail does your boat have ?...I considered swapping to a sloop but the ketch is easier to single hand.
What motor do you have ? mine is a 60 hp Perkins...adequate but a bigger prop would be nice.
What autohelm are you using ...this is my next purchase.
Is your steering hydraulic or cable ?
are you on the hook or ?
cheers
Dave
Old 12-01-2021, 21:50   #5

Cool. Mine is a center cockpit Cutter ketch. Mizzen is generally the first and last up. Under sail it balances extremely well with the rudder cantered and the mizzen adjusted accordingly. once balanced it might loose 5 degrees in 45 minutes of sailing, it’s almost like autopilot. I have reefed the mizzen a few times, But when is starts blowing 15 kts or more I drop the main and say sail and run full mizzen and genoa. Our power is a Ford Lehman 4 cycle 80hp. I run it at 1850 rpm with the red line at 2300 and we get about 6 kts. I hauled out in September and did 3 weeks of work on the hard, small blisters and through hulls. it weighed in at 56,000 lbs. No water and 1/4 fuel. 1200 liters of water and 1250 liters of fuel it will hold. It has hydraulic steering, wagner. It was a chore to fix the leaks and get it working properly but it seems good now. Autopilot is original Alpha 3000. It runs a small motor in the engine room that again drives a helm pump. I am waiting for the motor to come back to see if I can get it going as I have loads of spares for it. We spend 8 months in Victoria harbour and the other 4 months on the hook where ever we end up. I have two anchors on the bow, both CQR 75 and 250’ of chain on each anchor. This hold well, we anchor a lot and have only dragged a bit once in a big wind storm in Gibsons last year. Second to the walk in engine room, the hard doger is the best part. It drops into a queen bed which is nice while sailing with all the pillows and cushions. It’s like romper room, kids play lego and we are very comfortable .
Old 22-01-2021, 14:24   #6

HI ... I am jealous of your center cockpit ...it would have been my first choice.., the hull was designed for it... but mine is rear cockpit and I donot know why ...seems to have a lot of poorly used space ... yours sounds great ...a walkin engine room would be a treat ...you should post layout and rigging on sailboat.data....I will do the same ...maybe we can attract some other Seahawk owners ....my last boat had a club with 80 members ...it was great because there was always someone who had your question or issue before ...made it easy to make decisions.
How do we exchange personal info on this site ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top seahawk.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	230893  
Old 22-01-2021, 17:47   #7

I tried sending you a pm, check your box and see it it came through, not sure so did it right....

Dave
Old 16-07-2022, 22:18   #8

Boat: Hunter, Legend 45

Hey guys....I know this is an old thread. Any chance either one of you have the boat still or still located around Vancouver Island..??
Puff68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 08:47   #9

Yes I do, It’s in Powell river.
Old 17-07-2022, 22:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlandsalot View Post
Yes I do, It’s in Powell river.

Any chance you could send me some pictures..??

Looking at a hull for sale and just curious of a finished look and wondering if this project might be too much for me time wise.

I can send you my cell or email if you like..!?!?

Glen
Old 18-07-2022, 17:12   #11

yes you can send me your cell, and what pics exactly you want
Old 18-07-2022, 18:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlandsalot View Post
yes you can send me your cell, and what pics exactly you want

PM sent..!!
Old 31-03-2024, 05:22   #13

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch

I just purchased one. As you all know knot a lot of information online. Looking for any technical/build similarities, common experiences/problems, sailing characteristics. I feel there's ALOT I can gather from your experience.....
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat