Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 07:36   #31

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Anyone convert their freewheeling drive shaft to a hydro turbine?

I would pull it forward and tie it off to port and starboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:38   #32

Boat: F&C 44

Quote:
Until then I suppose I will tie it off. I am just wondering if the load from it being tied off would also create enough lateral pressure to cause a leak, even though the shaft isn't spinning?
It might. If (when) it starts leaking consider hauling out sooner than later. In the meantime how's your bilge pump?

BTW What kind of boat?
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:05   #33

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I would pull it forward and tie it off to port and starboard.
Good idea, I will be doing that this afternoon once I get out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
It might. If (when) it starts leaking consider hauling out sooner than later. In the meantime how's your bilge pump?

BTW What kind of boat?
The bilge pump works great. Actually when I purchased the boat, the shaft had sprung a pretty bad leak after taking it out the first time. It was leaking so bad that when we completely opened the packing box, the leak never got any worse!
We left the packing box open while we went to the store and purchased the correct size packing...the bilge pump kept up with the water flow just fine and was even cutting off.

The boat is a 77' Newport 28. So far I'm really liking it. The guy who helped me repack the shaft said it seemed like a pretty solid boat especially for what I paid. It sails nice, it hardly takes any breeze to get it going.
There was a guy in the shipyard who had muttered a few negative comments about how it's a "fair weather boat"...He also quoted me 900 dollars to seal off the hole where the shaft was at... at that point I decided to just repack the shaft for now and haul the boat out this spring. I found another guy who will do it then for 150 while it is hauled out.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:16   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
That was one of my concerns. I plan on hauling the boat out this coming spring and will likely seal it then, unless I do the generator thing... but at this point I am leaning toward solar.

Until then I suppose I will tie it off. I am just wondering if the load from it being tied off would also create enough lateral pressure to cause a leak, even though the shaft isn't spinning?
I'm glad to see you are leaning towards a sensible solution. Since cost seems to be a consideration. Pull the wheel leave the shaft with a zinc on it and tighten down the packing gland, past what is normal. With no rotation it should keep you from sinking infinitely.

Looking at the bilge and flange you probably have more to do than being an inventor.

Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:43   #35

Boat: F&C 44

Pull the prop and put on a zinc so the shaft can't pull out is a great idea, almost 0$. That leaves everything in place to install an engine later if you wish. The $900 is outrageous for that work, better invested in sails. The Newport 28 looks like a nice sailing boat and I bet you're going to have a lot a fun with it.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Looking at the bilge and flange you probably have more to do than being an inventor.
You're right there are plenty of other "less interesting" things I should be thinking about instead of jury rigging some unorthodox generator...

I did try to have a diver remove the prop. when he was cleaning the bottom, but it was stuck on there. He was going to fabricate a special tool to pull it off, but then it got too cold.
I'll likely end up just waiting until I haul it out to remove the prop.

I like the idea of being able to sell it as "ready for repower" when the time comes.
Old 17-01-2015, 10:11   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You're right there are plenty of other "less interesting" things I should be thinking about instead of jury rigging some unorthodox generator...

I did try to have a diver remove the prop. when he was cleaning the bottom, but it was stuck on there. He was going to fabricate a special tool to pull it off, but then it got too cold.
I'll likely end up just waiting until I haul it out to remove the prop.

I like the idea of being able to sell it as "ready for repower" when the time comes.
A regular wheel puller would do, over the counter. I just got finished saying I wouldn't buy anything from Harbor Freight Tools for extended use. A one time deal get one there. I believe you said a three bladed prop. get one there three jawed. I'd what till on the hard. Do it yourself.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 17:50   #38

This is what I came up with. Hopefully it works still need to test it
Old 19-01-2015, 05:05   #39

Quote:
This is what I came up with. Hopefully it works still need to test it

That's perfect!!!! Sail without fear now! And I bet the tiller/wheel feels steady now too.

Old 19-01-2015, 06:33   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That's perfect!!!! Sail without fear now! And I bet the tiller/wheel feels steady now too.
Yep, should hold it. Once that cedar rot's out, I will use the hole pattern and make an aluminum plate. The cedar may last a while since it won't really be getting wet.
Did you make it out this weekend? Both days were beautiful, I went out on Saturday to redfish island and back.

I'm thinking about switching marinas, though. I wasn't able to leave Sunday, the boat was on it's keel again. It's The fourth time I have driven all the way out, only to be stuck at the slip.
All winter I've had to play the tides to get out of marina del sol. It's irritating because they aren't the cheapest marina around and to me not being able to get out half the time is totally unacceptable at that price(not to mention some the floating docks are literally falling apart. A 40' section broke off into the water almost a month ago and it's still just sitting there tied off, blocking someone's boat in)
Whenever I am able to get out, it is usually dragging the bottom most of the way out, which I'd imagine can't be good for the boat.
I'm going to argue when I leave that they never let me know anything about this problem when I signed the lease, so they should waive the penalty for breaking it or at least cover half.

Didn't you say you moved to watergate? is the depth an issue there as well?
Old 19-01-2015, 07:40   #41

Anyone convert their freewheeling drive shaft to a hydro turbine?

We've not had a problem yet at watergate, the boat hasn't been on the bottom and I've not needed to get a running start at the channel either. It is a little more expensive than MDS but when something breaks it gets fixed.
We didn't get out this weekend, I was working all day Saturday, but Sunday was a nice day to tinker on the boat.

Old 19-01-2015, 13:54   #42

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The hardest part to source and fit is always the take off pulley. The shaft will turn quite slowly. Depends on prop size, I have a fixed 3 blade 15" and get about 400RPM at 5kn. To convert that to something that will generate electricity I needed a 5:1 ratio giving about 2000RPM at the alternator. That meant a 10" dia pulley. I thing this is why you don't see them so often now, not many modern boats have enough clearence under the shaft to fit the pulley. You could run to a lay shaft but that gets more complex and introduces more drag so less efficency. A small permanent magnet motor would indeed be good. I looked at using a wind turbine generator but they where way more expensive. Never though of a bike one, did not know they made them that big. The other plus in using an alternator is that it gives you a backup to main alternator. Under power my system gives 35a at 5kn if the main alternator packs up (no they won't both run at the same time). The alternator I use is a basic single wire car job.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 07:02   #43

The wooden brace to hold the shaft in place worked great! Sailed all weekend with it.

I also inherited a 50w solar panel which seems to keep the battery charged for at least the weekend with what little I am using.
We broke out a small generator to run the heater. Turned out to be a decent setup.
Old 13-02-2015, 08:24   #44

Boat: 44 footer

Interesting thread.

I swapped my propeller a few weeks ago for another 2 blade with a different pitch and it no longer feathers behind the dead wood.

Other than the noise, of a whirling prop making a little power is an interesting idea.

Have any of you guys used Link belts, rather than v-belts to run these? I imagine the belts last a long time but not having to remove the shaft coupling to replace one might be a benefit.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:44   #45

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Interesting thread.

I swapped my propeller a few weeks ago for another 2 blade with a different pitch and it no longer feathers behind the dead wood.

Other than the noise, of a whirling prop making a little power is an interesting idea.

Have any of you guys used Link belts, rather than v-belts to run these? I imagine the belts last a long time but not having to remove the shaft coupling to replace one might be a benefit.

Zach
Not heard of anyone using link belts but some people put a spare belt loose on the shaft in case of breakage. It just sits there and polishes the shaft until needed
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel