Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2021, 21:15   #16

Boat: Union cutter 33
Re: Anyone familiar with a Havis 33? Very rare can't find anything

I have a similar boat a union 33 a Taiwan made boat built like a tank amazing inside detail that isn’t matched today teak decks are a pain but with proper maintains last a long time first thing I did was rid myself of the old Volvo mb2 engine for a new beta your keel tank which is steel can have a fuel bladder installed similar too what nascar uses not cheap but a sure cure then just go threw systems and replace as needed it took me 15 months and 120 grand to redo my boat but she can go anywhere in the world now
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 21:50   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickFettig View Post
There is definitely some work to be done but I'm not sorry it's a very well built boat and seems like every boat has there downsides, I take it you have experience owning one?

I'm seeing this on Craigslist Seattle. You selling it already?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...419223936.html
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:46   #18

Boat: Havis 33

I am selling the boat to get one big enough for the family, gonna try to get my hands on a Hudson force 50. We are even selling our house to make it happen so shouldn't be a problem lol
DerrickFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:50   #19

The engine is a bmw D50 with just over 300 hours on her
Old 11-12-2021, 09:31   #20

Quote:
I am selling the boat to get one big enough for the family, gonna try to get my hands on a Hudson force 50. We are even selling our house to make it happen so shouldn't be a problem lol

I'll play devils advocate here. It's common that house prices go up. In California at least 4% a year but recently more. I have seen people sell their homes, go cruising, only to come back to an increased market they can no longer buy into. Plus...cruising is not cheap.

Maybe you're not going cruising in which case, now you have slip rent and yearly boat maintenance. For a Force 50 with liveaboard status, plan on paying at least $1000 a month. I would also guess maintenance on a Force 50 in the water is going to be in the neighborhood of $6000-10,000 a year. More if you're buying s fixer. A Force 50 being a teak decked Taiwan boat, is likely to have water intrusion problems either now of in the future. Often times but the time soft decks are detected, the damage is done and the money to fix it would drain your back account quickly.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-12-2021, 09:56   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'll play devils advocate here. It's common that house prices go up. In California at least 4% a year but recently more. I have seen people sell their homes, go cruising, only to come back to an increased market they can no longer buy into. Plus...cruising is not cheap.

Maybe you're not going cruising in which case, now you have slip rent and yearly boat maintenance. For a Force 50 with liveaboard status, plan on paying at least $1000 a month. I would also guess maintenance on a Force 50 in the water is going to be in the neighborhood of $6000-10,000 a year. More if you're buying s fixer. A Force 50 being a teak decked Taiwan boat, is likely to have water intrusion problems either now of in the future. Often times but the time soft decks are detected, the damage is done and the money to fix it would drain your back account quickly.

Sold our house in 94' for $475,000 and moved onto the boat.
My son who lives down the street from our old house told me it sold a month ago for $1,850,000.

Fortunately we have no desire to become "dirt people" again
Old 11-12-2021, 10:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Sold our house in 94' for $475,000 and moved onto the boat.
My son who lives down the street from our old house told me it sold a month ago for $1,850,000.

Fortunately we have no desire to become "dirt people" again

So you're old house has increased by $1,375,000 since you moved aboard. How much has your boat increased in the same amount of time? In most cases you have to leave the boat, walk up the docks to a public bathroom facility and in most cases sit in a laundromat cleaning clothes.

When I went cruising the few year I did, I rented the house out which covered cruising costs and came back to a few hundred dollars in maintenance on my house, at the time and moved back in. Nothing wrong with living on a boat but there is a certain security of having a home where children can grow up, visiting friends close by and having the modern conveniences of life as "dirt people", as you call them.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:15   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So you're old house has increased by $1,375,000 since you moved aboard. How much has your boat increased in the same amount of time? In most cases you have to leave the boat, walk up the docks to a public bathroom facility and in most cases sit in a laundromat cleaning clothes.

When I went cruising the few year I did, I rented the house out which covered cruising costs and came back to a few hundred dollars in maintenance on my house, at the time and moved back in. Nothing wrong with living on a boat but there is a certain security of having a home where children can grow up, visiting friends close by and having the modern conveniences of life as "dirt people", as you call them.
As isuggested, we have no interest in ever living on dirt again but anyone considering this should be aware that boats depreciate while homes appreciate. One can very quickly get locked out of the housing market. Consider it carefully is my only point.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:49   #24

I definitely understand boat maintenance and costs I used to own and live on a 47' steel sailboat by the name of hoki mai up in valdez alaska. You could only imagine how much that cost to maintain especially up north where everything is extremely expensive. The fiberglass Hudson is a breeze compared to what I'm used to lol and worth every expense especially if your living full time.
Old 11-12-2021, 15:25   #25

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
The engine is a bmw D50 with just over 300 hours on her
I have two questions if I may:
Did you check the HIN number as mentioned above? Can you share?
Do you have Title to this boat? If so, does it name the builder?
Ok 3 questions - why not interior pictures?
Thanks
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 17:24   #26

The title for the boat says says she is a Havis 33 and I am gonna take some interior pics tomorrow and will post them when I get back home.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:57   #27

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
The title for the boat says says she is a Havis 33 and I am gonna take some interior pics tomorrow and will post them when I get back home.
HIN should be on the registration, as well the title.
Guess you need to up date your post.
And CL post. Post more pictures of the interior, this is a pretty nice boat and price.
But people want to see sails, interior pictures.
All that commented agree, pretty sure it's a Han Christian 33, with an add on top.
1 interior picture, doesn't look to bad.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 14:37   #28

I would disagree that it is the same as a HC 33. The forward area of the keels are different. But you never know.
Old 17-12-2021, 06:51   #29

Another issue that makes things all the muddier. Is that a number of successful designs eg. The Kelley Peterson 44. Had it’s plans stolen and then re-appeared in the Formosa yard as “knock off” of inferior build. So with the older Taiwanese boats………..you just don’t know.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:03   #30

Boat: Shanon 38 Ketch "Just Imagine:

The boat was built by LIEN HWA BOAT BUILDING CO in Taipei
Vessel ID: OR119ZA HIN: LHC340210881 Title: TITL.0465741.1 Title Issue: 05/28/2009 Reg Expiration: 12/31/2012 Manufacturer: HAVIS 1981 Fiberglass 33 Ft 11 In

Here is another one in Annapolis https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L49674673
Howard Just is offline   Reply With Quote