Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:38   #1

Boat: Looking.....
Anyone familiar with these boats?

hi
i am looking at a few boats to possibly live aboard and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. Keep in mind, that i do wanna live aboard, I also wanna sail, coastal and possibly further. so here are a few boats that I have found.

1. Beautiful 1970 Ericson 32' completely redone.

2. 1982 American Mariner 30...nice interior layout, but don't really know much about it

3. 1976 Morgan out Island 33' again love the interior layout.

Just trying to find out what might work best for my wife and I we are going to finish some schooling and do some sailing...then when we finish its full time sailing. so something a bit roomy and sails well would be the best.
Any help or info on these boats would be great.
thanks
Travis
cloudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:26   #2

on the ericson check wiith ericson owners associations on line
the american mariner i don't know
the morgan the same as the ericson
also you can go to sailnet.com and check their archives and reviews
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I agree with the Ericson and the Morgan. Sticking with boats that have relatively high production numbers will create a larger database of information that will make it easier to make an educated decision. Not that the American Mariner isn't any good, its just not a boat with high production numbers. It still may be the best boat for you.

YachtWorld.com comes up with one hit on the American Mariner 30, 18 hits on the Ericson 32 and 28 hits on the Morgan. The American and the Ericson displace around 10,000 pounds while the Morgan displaces around 14,500 pounds. I would guess that the Morgan is the better cruiser of the three.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:59   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Cloudman,
I have been criticized before for my criticism but here goes anyway.
Are you looking at the American Mariner located in San Diego or the one in Tacoma? The one in Tacoma looks like a lot of boat for the money and if you never leave the dock for long distance or big water cruising seems a good value.
I have some experience working on an American 23 and know that their construction at hull to deck join is pretty weak. The boat we had up on stands dented at each of the pressure points along the hull so the the hull below the waterline was pretty lightly laid up. the shoal keel was a fiberglass form with a lead pig laid in it and the lead was not sealed all around like it should have been. There was no compression post in the interior so the mast was compressing onto the cabin top and deforming the top enough to cause a dent where water would stand.
Of the three boat you mentioned I'd go for Ericson. I don't know what other boats you've looked at though and there are lots more out there.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 13:50   #5

Boat: Looking.....
Thank you guys so much for your help! I had the same feeling about the American, The morgan however I didn't know to much about....I do plan on doing some cruising, so the displacement would probably be better with the morgan...but i also know that the ericson is pretty well known. thanks again...will need to keep doing some more research!
cloudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 20:03   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Cloudman,
Ask Morgan owners what they've had to repair to make their boats more seaworthy. Do the same for Ericson. I have an acquaintance who has broken two chainplates on his Ericson in the last 5 years. Might be a problem?
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote