Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2008, 03:53   #1

Anyone have experience with a Sirius 28?

I am now looking seriously at a Sirius 28 Sirius 28 for Sale looks like a good sized boat and has many features that could make it a good single hander. If anyone has experienced one of these and has an idea of what it should sell for at this time of year, please add your commnents.

John
radar912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 07:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Just on paper it looks to be a nice boat and a good deal. The details of everything of course matter a lot too. Looking good on paper means it would be worth going to see it up close. The basics about the boat to me make it desirable. Inboard engine and generally good features. It sure isn't ugly either.

I would go over everything close and get a survey. You might also do some checking on Yachtworld.com to get a better feel where the market is at on Lake Ontario. If you study the current boats for sale you may get an idea if the price is right. The boat markets are a little funny these days. If you compare this price to other prices you may find a better indication if this boat for this money is as good as others. That is what the market is about and it changes. There are no basic rules about asking vs selling prices. Some folks are just plain stupid and others know the situation and really do want to sell the boat. Do your homework first before you expect them to act like a smart seller.

Closing this boat in the next month means the owner does not have to take care of winterizing. That could be a negotiating point but it does mean you will need to do it soon. Once he has it on the hard he may not feel like bargaining until spring.

Good luck in finding a boat that's right for you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 15:39   #3

Hi Paul, I am going to take a look at the outside of that one tonight, another one on the weekend. The owner of the boat in that ad is sailing it to Waupoos this Sunday to store it, maybe I can save him a trip.

John
Old 18-09-2008, 19:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The owner of the boat in that ad is sailing it to Waupoos this Sunday to store it, maybe I can save him a trip.
You still need to do things in an orderly fashion. Do the diligence and work the plan. If you get in a hurry it's easy to mess up. Some times the deals come so fast that they can catch you not at your best.

Good luck any way. You can't get enough of that.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 03:46   #5

Your right Paul, I will definitely get a survey before commiting to any deal, Waupoos isn't that far off anyway, an hour by car. The boat looked good last night but the running rigging is definitely tired, not sure if I like the position of the traveller either, it's in the cockpit right in front of the wheel.

John
Old 19-09-2008, 04:38   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar912 View Post
Your right Paul, I will definitely get a survey before commiting to any deal, Waupoos isn't that far off anyway, an hour by car. The boat looked good last night but the running rigging is definitely tired, not sure if I like the position of the traveller either, it's in the cockpit right in front of the wheel.

John
And if you aim to go sailing single handed, surely that's exactly where you'd want the traveller to be

JOHN
Old 19-09-2008, 09:40   #7

With autopilot I would imagine I could move freely in the cockpit, I am concerned it could get in the way.
Old 24-11-2008, 19:39   #8

Boat: Sirius 28
sirius 28

I have and still own a Sirius 28 for the past 12 years. The boat is a fast cruiser/racer and very seaworthy. The boat was set up by the manufacture for single-handed sailing. She weathers well in heavy wind and seas. The boat is well constructed, however you should check the rudder. I, as well as another Sirius owner, had an issue with the rudder. Mine is sitting off the lakefront of Chicago. This is not uncommon for boats of this vintage to have some wear and tear. You mentioned an autopilot. Not an issue. It will be set up parallel to the mainsheet traveler and will not be in the way. It’s a big 28. Many have asked the size. It looks and feels like 30’. Top end price per the insurance carrier is 21k as of October. Need more info, just ask.Siren’s Song 2008 Boat of the Year – Hammond Sail fleet
Siren's Song is offline   Reply With Quote