Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34   #16

Re: Anyone heard on painting a sail with outdoor paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I'd find another sailmaker.
THIS

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:59   #17

Boat: KP 46

My plane is covered in Dacron, it is then coated with a polyvinyl to seal it then 4 coats of aluminized paint (silver) for uv protection, then 3 to 4 coats of color.
I had heard about using latex uv paint so I tried it on my rudder. So far the only problem is that with six coats when the sun hits it you can still see thru it enough to see the roller and brush marks. I would put more on but I do not want more weight.

That said,
Stitching sunbrella to the leech is not expensive, just make sure you use UV thread. I h;ave re-stitched mine a couple of times. Helps to have a beefy sewing machine but you can find one at goodwill for 20 or 30 bucks that will do the job.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:04   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Cough,

Having been a budget cruiser for way too long, I painted my Jib, 6 years ago, where sacrificial clothe would go. I used a latex exterior paint which provides UV protection.

It has to be touched up (one new coat every two to three years) for light flaking. A quart can was enough for my #4 working jib and costs about $14. A small 6" roller and tray, does it protud.

Added bonus is custom colors that match the other Pinks. Very important!.
Pink! Sailorchick you’re such a girly girl. I like it.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:08   #19

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
also your sail will have a better furled shape because there is less bulk. Here in florida you will pay $15 per foot to have the sunbrella replaced. whereas a gallon of high end paint is about 30 bucks ..use a small foam roller and blue tape..you will not regret it
I find this very interesting. I am looking at having the protective green acrylic cloth (Sunbrella?) on my furling jib replaced with blue cloth, but I am wondering now if I can just paint or stain the cover instead. The rest of the dacron sail/s are in good shape. And I would have thought an acrylic paint would be best. Maybe I can get some aircraft paint for acrylic cloth as suggested. What brand and type? Also, two-part polyurethane paint is tenacious and UV resistant - maybe a better idea. Maybe I will experiment a bit.

Another admission of unorthodox maintenance - a few years ago I took some of my running rigging - virtually all white by then - and gave them a very light even spray painting with common enamel paint. It worked like a damn, tinting the white fibres and it left the other marking colours showed though well. Only now some 5 or so years later is it fading and might require a repeat. No damage seems to have occurred, especially as it is the core fibres that provide the strength. And at least I can now direct the lubbers to haul on the blue or red or - yikes! even PINK! - line!

Hey! - like every husband, the more money I can save, the more I can spend on my wife!

Cheers, RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:17   #20

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Stitching sunbrella to the leech is not expensive, just make sure you use UV thread. I h;ave re-stitched mine a couple of times. Helps to have a beefy sewing machine but you can find one at goodwill for 20 or 30 bucks that will do the job. M
Be aware that often even an old, heavy-duty, sewing machine will not exert enough tension on the lower bobbin to make the stitches tension correctly - that is, halfway through the cloth. This is a problem I have had even after having the machine serviced by a pro and apparently set up for heavy stitching through multiple layers. RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

Why would a sail loft turn down work? Probably because the sail ain't worth it. I wouldn't go to the trouble of sewing on a new cover for someone if the sail is worn out and could fall apart again in 2 years. So yeah, go somewhere else.
Or like he said, paint it. I'm rebuilding an old fabric airplane right now. It was painted with house paint back in 1980 maybe. It was in terrible shape though. The modern aircraft fabric finish would hold up to going around a furler for a while before cracking. On an airplane inside a hangar it could last a 100 years.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:41   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My Maule’s fabric was actually painted with automotive paint, with a flex additive, apparently automotive paint can be made pretty flexible to paint the rubber bumpers etc.
However It was never furled either.
I have seen house paint on sails once, I guess it may have looked better if he had taken more care to do it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:44   #23

Boat: cheoy lee 43 pilothouse

try Beer elastomeric paint....
unaffected by UV, 300% elasticity,adhere/penetrate very well, waterproof & breathable and easily retouchable/recoatable...it does work and last!!!
did all my sunbrella cover on sailcover. bimini etc...in Tahiti, i personnaly used Sikalastic color tropical formulation , since the only one available here...
oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 15:16   #24

Boat: Tayana 37
Thumbs up Re: Anyone heard on painting a sail with outdoor paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
So this sailmaker told me since my sail is already 6 years old and the sunbrella part is ripping up instead of fixing all the sunbrella i should eliminate it. Then use a high quality outdoor paint like Bear to paint the area that is going to be exposed to the sun when it is rolled up. Any thoughts on this. Cheers

The Volvo Ocean Race boats, Volvo 65, all have painted sails.
The sails not in current use are rolled up and bagged on deck. Paint wear out does not seem to have been an issue after 40,000 miles over 9 months

The race has recently concluded and the sails looked presentable as seen on screen.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/boat.html

kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 15:34   #25

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
So this sailmaker told me since my sail is already 6 years old and the sunbrella part is ripping up instead of fixing all the sunbrella i should eliminate it. Then use a high quality outdoor paint like Bear to paint the area that is going to be exposed to the sun when it is rolled up. Any thoughts on this. Cheers
It sounds as if this fellow's other job might be as a "Late Night Show Host" mebbe ???
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 16:49   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

From what I understand, you need to encapsulate polyester fibers. It's hard to get anything to stick to it. You can use polyester fabric as a peel ply in epoxy lay ups. A good fabric paint is maybe 3 layers of different materials. The first layer is most like a thin glue to encapsulate the fibers. Then you apply the UV barrier and then the paint. Done to the proper thickness and rolled up, not stuffed into a sailbag, it might be pretty cool.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 18:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
Yes, your sailmaker is giving you good advice I have used this method for years. exterior paint will block UV . Use a good quality exterior paint and a dark color .. latex will cover dacron just like you were painting a wall. I would not to this on a new sail but for your purposes it is the way to go. You will need to recoat every 2 years or so also you will need to paint both sides of the sail due to print thru. The sail will furl fine and the paint does not flake off or peel. Also you need to remove the current sun cover and paint the dacron directly

One coat or two coats?
downwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 19:44   #28

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Cough,

Having been a budget cruiser for way too long, I painted my Jib, 6 years ago, where sacrificial clothe would go. I used a latex exterior paint which provides UV protection.

It has to be touched up (one new coat every two to three years) for light flaking. A quart can was enough for my #4 working jib and costs about $14. A small 6" roller and tray, does it proud.

Added bonus is custom colors that match the other Pinks. Very important!.

Looks like a beautiful spring day on the delta!
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 20:27   #29

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

"The Volvo Ocean Race boats, Volvo 65, all have painted sails.
The race has recently concluded and the sails looked presentable as seen on screen."
<https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/boat.html>
I couldn't find anything re. painted sails on the link provided.
Old 03-07-2018, 20:27   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cat View Post
Looks like a beautiful spring day on the delta!
Other the smoke from the lake county fires (75 MILES away), it's very nice, so far. Did a full rebuild of the water pump">raw water pump at anchor today. Bearings were loose after 1900 hours, ( 720 hours since the engine rebuild).

Tomorrow is a chill day, then I head 12 miles over to bugtopia, for varnishing.

I put two coats of latex on the jib originally ( from home depot). It's been 18 months since last touch up. Quite happy with it and far cheaper the sunbrella. Plus the boat is color coordinated. So important.....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, sail