Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 11:44   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Anyone heard on painting a sail with outdoor paint?

I'm sitting next to a 25yr old Stitts Poly Fiber job and there are no cracks anywhere. The FAA should never have let them approve Automotive paint even with a flex additive. And I think you have it wrong about how much coating to apply. The fabric weave should be just visible at an angle. Modern coatings are much lighter, 20 pounds lighter on a small plane. The control surface gap seals on something like a Bellanca bend at a very sharp angle, and with Stitts they don't crack.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:00   #47

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

It sounds like what is needed is a paint that has good adhesion, dense pigmentation for minimal coats, UV blockers and is THIN in its final form so that will furl without cracking. Virtually anything thick will crack if curled up tight enough and in an irregular fashion.

I am thinking fuschia rather than pink...
RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:24   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
I am thinking fuschia rather than pink...
RR.
Actually my jib IS covered in Fuschia exterior latex from the box store.

I did the painting 6 years ago, Er. 8 years go, time fly's. At that time the Jib where three years old. I had put on UV insignia cloth to protect the jib, but it's only good for a few years.

So after the third year, finding myself living on $500/mo, and knowing some home brew aircraft used paint, I decided to try it. With furling and unfurling the Jib after about a year, small specs of paint flake off. Not much. But more as time flys. So putting one new coat every 2-3 years covers the missing flakes.

The Photo shows the Jib, 2-1/2 years after it's last painting. You can't see it bit there are a few small places where a 1/8" +/- is missing. That sail now is 10 years old.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 16:43   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Better than 90% sure this is the paint Maule Aircraft has been using for the last 20 yrs or so.
http://www.utech.us/Products/Pages/U...at-System.aspx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 19:42   #50

Boat: Catalina 320

Surprised no one has used green to match the artificial grass in their cockpit.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:07   #51

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2668678]Better than 90% sure this is the paint Maule Aircraft has been using for the last 20 yrs .

That's about how long people have been thinking a fabric paint job should have a shine, what a waste. All the paint it takes to fill the weave is weight and then it cracks.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:35   #52

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
I find this very interesting. I am looking at having the protective green acrylic cloth (Sunbrella?) on my furling jib replaced with blue cloth, but I am wondering now if I can just paint or stain the cover instead. The rest of the dacron sail/s are in good shape. And I would have thought an acrylic paint would be best.
You can paint your Sunbrella. I did it to change the color of my up strip and it lasted for years before I replaced the sail. I used straight acrylic. My advice would be not to use acrylic latex. The latex gives the paint the one-piece stretchy quality which is exactly what you don't want as this keeps the paint from properly seeping into the fibers.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:55   #53

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Surprised no one has used green to match the artificial grass in their cockpit.
Good thinking. But not the cockpit. Limit the artificial grass to the decks, Lazarette, foredeck, topside decks. Brilliant.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:37   #54

Context is key. I have an aluminum framed cotton canvas awning on a porch that is pushing four decades and that is painted with exterior house latex paint (new coat about every five years) and seems to be no less strong when I acquired it second hand and painted it several decades ago.

That said, quality sails are usually made with Dacron because it has the least stretch and most memory of any fabric. The sails on my 41' ketch were made in Taiwan in 1984 - as was my boat. The were still very serviceable with no holes tears or bad seams when the boat was sold to the insurance company after Hurricane Francis in 2004. They were always kept under well maintained blue Sunbrella covers. Taken down a cleaned with detergent and water as they dirtied.

My point is that while painting might work on a fixed cotton canvas cloth surface that flexrs very little, it isn't likely to work - or stick well to near impervious Dacron. I like the advice already given. Get a different sail maker.
ddugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34   #55

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
Which tape you use to mark the line? Thanks for the info. Cheers
The best tape to stop the paint from migrating under it is “Frog Tape”. It’s green and comes in a little plastic case. Blue tape is ok but still allows a little bleed through. If you’re looking for a razor sharp line with absolutely no bleed through, then blue tape first and a very thin line of clear caulk, wiped as much as possible off, paint it then pull the tape before everything dries. Razor clean and no bleed through everytime.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:24   #56

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

The PO used what looks like Insignia adhesive back Dacron instead of Sunbrella on the new sail, certainly to save money. The color chosen was white so now I have a very dirty UV block strip that cannot be cleaned or repaired. The sail has still a lot of years left, so my choices are either paint or apply a new tape on the old one.

Can of paint is about $30, the Dacron strip is about $70 (5.95/yard from Sailrite). Not sure which will last longer since I don't know how old the sail is - the tape is a bit cracked which would be okay if it was not for the dirty look so to speak. What to do?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:12   #57

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
The PO used what looks like Insignia adhesive back Dacron instead of Sunbrella on the new sail, certainly to save money. The color chosen was white so now I have a very dirty UV block strip that cannot be cleaned or repaired. The sail has still a lot of years left, so my choices are either paint or apply a new tape on the old one.

Can of paint is about $30, the Dacron strip is about $70 (5.95/yard from Sailrite). Not sure which will last longer since I don't know how old the sail is - the tape is a bit cracked which would be okay if it was not for the dirty look so to speak. What to do?
The self adhesive Dacron sacrificial lasts about 3-5 years, year round in the hot sunny climate here. It has the advantage of being lighter than Sunbrella. I got a genoa sleeve for use with a laminate sail and use it for the Dacron ones also now. I like the one from ATN but they are available from many sailmakers.
Genoa Sleeve | ATN Sailing Equipment
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:30   #58
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I wonder about reachers, which are left up sometimes, but often lowered when away from the boat. The UV protection needs are thus much less. Often these sails have no UV protection strip, because the weight would be too much and they are already big bundles when furled.

BTW, I whole heartedly agree that a Sunbrella strip is the best answer for sails that are left up. I've used them, I've restitched them, and I've paid for replacement, always feeling it was worth protecting a good polyester sail. That said, the conversation is interesting. You never know when there is either progress or a niche application you have missed. We all have different boats. If there was no merit in the idea, I doubt North and Doyle would have pursued it. That said, it does not seem to be the "greatest thing" and there are negative reports. But the problems may be in the applications and the details.
Old 09-07-2018, 14:17   #59

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I must say I'm somewhat stunned and bemused that this turned out to be a real subject. I had thought it was a joke initially. I'm proud of those who innovate and this is clearly an area where many sought a better mousetrap.
Personally I grew tired of a colored Sunbrella leach and foot so I went with a layer of white Dacron sailcloth on my new headsails as a sacrificial protective cover.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:00   #60
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

For those of you that thought this thread was some kind of joke, please watch this video from Doyle. They are using paint UV strips on million dollar boats. Not the same boats, and not the same objectives, but definitely not a joke.

Like laminate sails, they certainly are not for everybody, but they are for some people. Acrylic paint may well have a place, and other paints certainly do.

Tags
paint, sail