Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 09:48   #151

Boat: CL14 #1179
Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post

My favorite is the IP35. Beautiful lines (for a cruiser) and reasonable sail performance. My 32 keel/ centerboard is the best of all, but a somewhat rare breed. Not as pretty as the 35 but sails better.

Frankly

This IP35 just listed shows a price of $16k for a chainplate replacement by Mack sails, is this the going rate for that job? Seems high.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...et-35-8237136/
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:42   #152

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
This IP35 just listed shows a price of $16k for a chainplate replacement by Mack sails, is this the going rate for that job? Seems high.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...et-35-8237136/
It’s at least a two man job and it’s mostly labor. The chainplates and bolts themselves shouldn’t be more then $600, if that. The mast and rigging has to be re-trimmed and tensioned for warranty. That means a sea trial too and another reset.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:33   #153

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Couple of years back Garhauer quoted me $1,300 for a complete replacement set of chainplates (316L SS annealed polished and pre bent, to my angle measurements). They are the supplier to IP and have the original drawings.

Labor rates around 8 to 10K were typical most of what I was hearing.

Use original standing rigging.

Chainplates Express was cheaper but required the originals for copying.

I will be doing my own with the stick in.

In the original Mack Sails video on a 38 the repair person installed the fiberglass strands on top of the welded angle (normally right under the deck structure). After several of us pointed out the error they changed the video. Often wondered if that lady got a redo. That is a "head up your a##" mistake for such a claimed professional outfit. Wonder what they thought the cross bar was for.

IMO the annealing after welding is important/ critical.

YMMV
Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 14:10   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
………..

IMO the annealing after welding is important/ critical.

YMMV
Frankly
Exactly! Cracks form right next to welds. On Aluminum the metal shrinks up to 2%. In the old daze I use to build some angle aluminum towers 24” tall. After welding they would shrink around 1/2”.
Old 11-03-2022, 14:18   #155
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Define "slow" ????

All sailboats are slow.....some a bit more than others..

It doesn't matter if you are doing 5 knots or 6 knots or even 7....it's all slow.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make much difference.

On the other hand, speed and comfort are another thing.

Sure, you can slam to windward, rail down, taking spray all the way back to the cockpit...and be doing 7 knots....
Or....
You can crack off a bit, open a beer, enjoy the day...at a steady 6 knots...

If speed is really your goal, a sailboat is not right for you....there are powerboats for that.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 14:28   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Define "slow" ????

It doesn't matter if you are doing 5 knots or 6 knots or even 7....it's all slow.

Sure, you can slam to windward, rail down, taking spray all the way back to the cockpit...and be doing 7 knots....
Or....

If speed is really your goal, a sailboat is not right for you....there are powerboats for that.
And how much fuel can you buy for the price of the sails and rigging? Not to mention the room below.
Old 11-03-2022, 15:32   #157

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Define "slow" ????

Or....

Well- in breeze I agree- differences are smaller. Where the problem becomes bigger is in light air where faster boats can sail and make miles and slower boats need to motor

Having had a full keel boat prior, which was somewhat fast for its type (Luders 33)- there is no comparison with the easier, more comfortable, and faster miles I can cover with my current fast cruiser- even when correcting for longer LOA
I like IPs for the Caribbean or trade winds destinations. Well built
But in my home waters off Chesapeake it’s amazing there are so many IPs. I can get to hull speed in 8-10 knots, and make distance in 5 knots of breeze- and the IPs are all motoring in most of that
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 05:22   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Well- in breeze I agree- differences are smaller. Where the problem becomes bigger is in light air where faster boats can sail and make miles and slower boats need to motor

Having had a full keel boat prior, which was somewhat fast for its type (Luders 33)- there is no comparison with the easier, more comfortable, and faster miles I can cover with my current fast cruiser- even when correcting for longer LOA
I like IPs for the Caribbean or trade winds destinations. Well built
But in my home waters off Chesapeake it’s amazing there are so many IPs. I can get to hull speed in 8-10 knots, and make distance in 5 knots of breeze- and the IPs are all motoring in most of that
IP claims to have corrected the light air performance (or lack thereof) with their "new generation" with solent rig with Asymmetrical or 170 Reacher
/https://ipy.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/349-Packet.pdf I've not test sailed one yet but the few reviews I've seen confirm this.
Mreloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:57   #159

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreloc View Post
IP claims to have corrected the light air performance (or lack thereof) with their "new generation" with solent rig with Asymmetrical or 170 Reacher

http:///https://ipy.com/wp-content/u...349-Packet.pdf I've not test sailed one yet but the few reviews I've seen confirm this.

Yep I sailed right past one with my usual 135 #2 set along with full main in light air exiting the Chester River into Chesapeake. But yes at least it was sailing, otherwise no contest. Yes my boat is longer though LWL is similar. A more powerful rig certainly can make a difference
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote