Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 18:37   #76

Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

Thanks for sharing the videos!

I think these videos show exactly how these boats perform in the intended environment - the trades. Nice ride with full sail in 18-22 knot winds - nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
People who don't own or sail Island Packets love to bash them. I've owned one for years and have sailed it thousands of miles. It's a great boat, especially in 15+kts of wind. No, it won't point like a fin keeler, but it's not a racer. No, it will not sail well in light winds. It's a cruiser. Most cruisers don't point well or sail in light winds. If you want a boat that points high and goes in light winds, get a Beneteau. If you want a solid boat that sails great and comfortably in 15kts+ of wind, then you're on the right track. Here are a couple of videos I took in the Bahamas that will give you an idea about speed. Look at the GPS and the wind speed indicator right above it.

People are always going to hate on other people with nice stuff. IP makes a nice boat. People hate on them. Who cares what they think? What matters is what you think. If you like IP's, get one. I love mine.
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 19:15   #77

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Lots of owners getting leaks in the fuel and especially water tanks. There have been a few articles in Practical Sailor and other mags detailing the problems. The big one is when you use chlorine to clean your water tank. From what I have read the tanks are not easily removable, lots of pain and suffering involved.
Not on all boats, especially mine. My boat is "maintenance friendly".
Water tanks should be plastic or SS. It's the water that gets in aluminum fuel tanks that causes problems. It all comes down to maintenance. In the 11+ years that my alum tank has been in the boat there's not been any water. Each spring I scrub the fuel that's left over form winterizing into other containers and then inspect the tank.

If there 's a leak other then water intrusion then it's a bad weld job and needs to be taken up with the builder.
Old 08-01-2013, 19:20   #78

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
They also seem to have anchoring issues, dunno if it's the boat or the standard of their crews, but at St Mary's GA 2012 thanksgiving, the IPs, of which there were 7 or so, had to re-anchor at least once a day.

IMHO they have a poor RAF too.
Sounds like a anchor/crew problem, not the boat.

RAF (Retire After Finishing)

Rotating asymmetrical foil (RAF) sails
Old 08-01-2013, 19:54   #79

Boat: PT-11
This is getting ridiculous. 7 IPs in Georgia, all of which can't anchor. Al fuel tanks corrode because of the infinitesimal amount of chlorine in the infinitesimal amount of water in them. Silly people.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 20:03   #80

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Apparently new color at Island Packet. Their new 7ft draft ( 5ft option ) fin keeled Blue Jacket

Looks like their traditional clientele in the rendering too. Nice hat.
The cynic in me says that this guy is motoring.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 20:11   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The cynic in me says that this guy is motoring.
The cynic in me knows it's not a real boat with a real helmsman sailing on real water. Here is the helmsman with his previous boat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fakeric2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	52512  
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 20:15   #82

Hobbits can sail ? Who knew ?
Old 08-01-2013, 23:07   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

RAF = Row Away Factor. As you row away from your boat you admire her when compared to her fellows on the other moorings.

IP are pretty horrible IMHO. Vast slab topsides, hoge coach roof, nasty colours, and they are as slow as an old pig, when not under power.

You pays your money...
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:34   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Apparently new color at Island Packet. Their new 7ft draft ( 5ft option ) fin keeled Blue Jacket

Looks like their traditional clientele in the rendering too. Nice hat.
Gollygosh !

I took you recommendation and checked out the hat but my fading eyes needed help. A little zoom pointed out that he not only isn't steering but isn't looking where he is going either. The missus ( I assume IP, being a wholesome company, don't sell to philanderers ) isn't steering either.

Scary.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22   #85

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This is getting ridiculous. 7 IPs in Georgia, all of which can't anchor. Al fuel tanks corrode because of the infinitesimal amount of chlorine in the infinitesimal amount of water in them. Silly people.
I never said "al fuel tanks corrode". Two different magazines stated that aluminum is not the best choice for a fuel tank. Go to the IP owners forum and see what the owners talk about.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:55   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

With time corrected for motoring, an IP420 beat out all the catamarans in the annual Carib 1500 this year:

http://www.worldcruising.com/content...by%20Class.pdf
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01   #87
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

island packets are goood boats. i have seen a lot of cant anchor stuff around--that is not the boat.

there are many marques dissed by folks who do not understand the particular marque dissed----have fun and sail the boat before you buy -- mebbe you will see and enjoy something the bashers dont.... have fun!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:58   #88
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
With time corrected for motoring, an IP420 beat out all the catamarans in the annual Carib 1500 this year:
l]
Yes, but that's unlikely to happen in the OPs region and that's what his post and query are about.... A definite regional situation that's as far removed from ocean sailing as the Great Lakes.... Because he is on the Great Lakes!

However, it is interesting to see an IP do well against Catamarans, or anything else. Handicapping is meant to make it fair for everyone so the best skipper and best crew get the prizes, not the goose with the fat wallet

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, but that's unlikely to happen in the OPs region and that's what his post and query are about.... A definite regional situation that's as far removed from ocean sailing as the Great Lakes.... Because he is on the Great Lakes!

However, it is interesting to see an IP do well against Catamarans, or anything else. Handicapping is meant to make it fair for everyone so the best skipper and best crew get the prizes, not the goose with the fat wallet
I could be wrong, but it's my impression that the handicap is a simple penalty for motoring - the same penalty in each class - so the corrected time would be a pretty accurate 1 to 1 comparison of boats.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:07   #90
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I could be wrong, but it's my impression that the handicap is a simple penalty for motoring - the same penalty in each class - so the corrected time would be a pretty accurate 1 to 1 comparison of boats.
They've done well then.

If there's motoring allowed and a penalty for it theres some strategic methods to get best advantage... I had the dubious pleasure of a couple of rally's like that on other people's boats and became quite proficient at being the Engine Tactician

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote