Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 05:47   #16

Re: Are Spider Cracks Cosmetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
Ya there is the problem. I talked to the supervisor and he said the crew had a perfect record and this required a full investigation and would go an their permanent record. Plus with all the LE on the water I do not feel like getting harassed.
The thing is the came in too fast and a dozen people saw it and even yelled at them before they knew it was a federal boat. There policy is to go no wake at the mouth of harbors and they did not slow down till they were behind my boat. They need boating classes, they will spend $2500 to send an officer to school to operate a bicycle but the turn them loose in boats clueless.
With the exception of captains driving tows (tugs) in the ICW, no matter where in the world you are, the worst offenders, least considerate, reckless operators will be 'professional' captains driving law enforcement and pilot boats.

I've never encountered a captain of a tug on the I.C.W. who did not exercise the utmost in safe operation and was discourteous. They slow if a pleasure craft is approaching in order to reduce their wake.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 05:58   #17

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Wrong! Cracks in a hull, no matter what you call them, need to be thoroughly examined. Whether it's structural failure/fatigue or due to an accident, they should raise a red flag. Structural Engineers believe that there is no such a thing as a "superficial" crack; no such a thing as a "little pregnant", analogy. Agree or disagree, I hope that we remain friends!

Mauritz
Your opinion of me has no cash value!
Old 26-08-2013, 06:01   #18

Boat: Hunter 27
I did maritme security in New Orleans and we hired launches to move us around. They were amazing and I guess I expected all Law enforcement to have the same skill and professionalism. Joke is on me.
I was one of the first boats out this season as soon as the ice melted. Border Patrol came flying up on me because I was near the freighter lane. They to a wake sideways so hard it almost put them in the water. My 5yo knows to watch wakes and not take one to the side.
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 06:07   #19

Boat: Hunter 27
That is what has me concerned. If it is cracked then it has to be weaker than if it was not. The lakes up here are not crossing oceans but can get very bad and choppy and being on the bow it takes abuse so not where you want a problem.
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 06:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Wrong! Cracks in a hull, no matter what you call them, need to be thoroughly examined. Whether it's structural failure/fatigue or due to an accident, they should raise a red flag. Structural Engineers believe that there is no such a thing as a "superficial" crack; no such a thing as a "little pregnant", analogy. Agree or disagree, I hope that we remain friends!

Mauritz
Your opinion of me has no cash value!
There ya go again, attributing quotes where I haven't even used the word like in "superficial".

Didn't say one shouldn't be concerned and or should not have the cracks 'examined'. But, common sense and the location of the hairline cracks will suggest whether or not there is an underlying problem of great concern...

Where's my ice cream with coconut husks?!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 06:40   #21

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Wrong! If you are visiting the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex in Texas, you'll get a dinner and your coconut ice cream with husks; it's a promise! Until that happens...people in hell want some ice cream delivered by boat!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 26-08-2013, 09:38   #22

Warning thread drift:

Stuctural engineers definetly consider SOME cracks to be superficial. If you've ever taken a steel reinforced concrete class, you would know that many are just that. The trick is telling which ones to be worried about.

For very similar reasons, crazing in gel coat may or may not tell you something meaningful.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 09:50   #23

Those are pretty long cracks. I would make them pay , even it cost me money in the end! someone needs to keep these high testoterone jockeys at bay!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 12:49   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I know you already put in a claim but...

We were on the Detroit River last summer and Border Patrol along with the Coast Guard were the worst offenders ignoring no wake zones and coming thru the marina way too fast (usually to get snacks).

The only way they will get pulled up short is if someone calls them out on it.

Bror Viking, cut them some slack. They were hungry and in a hurry after strenuously patrolling the US/Canada border keeping us Americans safe from the treacherous criminal population in Canada. We all know how dangerous those Canadians can be . . . just imagine the stress of their jobs. So, what's a few spider cracks when it come to our border security. I'm sure they're probably much more relaxed with our neighbors south of the border since between 12-20 million have made it past our high octance,Smokey and the Bandit, snack crunching Border Patrol. Oh, but then I guess when you're used to our Constitution and Bill of Rights being trampled underfoot, you just have to get used to Big Brother having his way. Spider cracks? They're much bigger than you think. Good luck, good sailing and Dear Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Northmen.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 13:47   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Bror Viking, cut them some slack. They were hungry and in a hurry after strenuously patrolling the US/Canada border keeping us Americans safe from the treacherous criminal population in Canada. We all know how dangerous those Canadians can be . . . just imagine the stress of their jobs. So, what's a few spider cracks when it come to our border security. I'm sure they're probably much more relaxed with our neighbors south of the border since between 12-20 million have made it past our high octance,Smokey and the Bandit, snack crunching Border Patrol. Oh, but then I guess when you're used to our Constitution and Bill of Rights being trampled underfoot, you just have to get used to Big Brother having his way. Spider cracks? They're much bigger than you think. Good luck, good sailing and Dear Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Northmen.
Yeah those harmless fuzzy people across our northern border. Seems IIRC, the only attempt to import explosives for a terrorist attack was intercepted from Canada in Puget Sound. Don't know if the jihadi was a Canadian Citizen but he and the explosives came from Canada. Wasn't an ICE agent that discovered the plot thouigh but a customs inspector on a ferry boat, I believe.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 14:32   #26

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Yeah those harmless fuzzy people across our northern border. Seems IIRC, the only attempt to import explosives for a terrorist attack was intercepted from Canada in Puget Sound. Don't know if the jihadi was a Canadian Citizen but he and the explosives came from Canada. Wasn't an ICE agent that discovered the plot thouigh but a customs inspector on a ferry boat, I believe.

Roverhi, was the Jihadis last name Ferguson, McDonald, Sims or Hoffstadt? Did the inspector have an empty Cheetos bag in his pocket? You know, Rover, these are very relevant questions. Good luck, good sailing, and may the spirit of Stolichnaya bless your day.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote