Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 10:31   #1

Are Transparent Diesel Tanks Possible?

I've seen semi-transparent diesel tanks and Jerry cans/jugs but never fully transparent, why is that? Seems like the best choice for safety. Who wouldn't like to be able to quickly check their fuel for contaminants?

If anyone knows of a source for these, preferably a custom manufacturer that can do a small tank and some jugs, please let me know.

Google searches have yielded unsatisfactory results.

M'aidez SVP
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 10:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Are Transparent Diesel Tanks Possible?

I think the best you'll get is translucent FRP tanks
Old 13-05-2020, 10:48   #3

Do you know why that is? Is the fully transparent stuff prone to damage from diesel exposure?

I'm contemplating making my own tanks at this point.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:09   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

How about installing a transparent inspection window in whatever type of tank you have?

Through bolt it, gasket, and you can check on the fuel quality that way.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
How about installing a transparent inspection window in whatever type of tank you have?

Through bolt it, gasket, and you can check on the fuel quality that way.
I sent the original fuel tank to the landfill, it was very corroded.

I considered an inspection window but thought it was less than ideal because it wouldn't let much light in and it would be difficult to see everything.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:42   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the yellow color means it is diesel. less confusion. unless you insist on putting gasoline or water in it
Old 13-05-2020, 11:50   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Plastic fuel tanks are made out of cross linked polyethyene, translucent is the best you can hope for. Standard polyethyene or PET is broken down by a combination of heat and solvents in fuel.

For custom tanks Tek-Tanks in Hampshire. Cheaper to buy ready made rotomoulded tanks. Big makers are Scepter or Moeller in Canada and US or Castro in Spain probably one in UK or maybe not as they seem incapable of making simple stuff - PPE masks.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 12:47   #8

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

do a glass tube...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/uKNPo.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
I sent the original fuel tank to the landfill, it was very corroded.

I considered an inspection window but thought it was less than ideal because it wouldn't let much light in and it would be difficult to see everything.
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 13:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Plastic fuel tanks are made out of cross linked polyethyene, translucent is the best you can hope for. Standard polyethyene or PET is broken down by a combination of heat and solvents in fuel.

For custom tanks Tek-Tanks in Hampshire. Cheaper to buy ready made rotomoulded tanks. Big makers are Scepter or Moeller in Canada and US or Castro in Spain probably one in UK or maybe not as they seem incapable of making simple stuff - PPE masks.
Ah, very helpful information, thank you very much. I will look up those manufacturers now.
Old 13-05-2020, 14:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I built my first boat.

Being very poor, I could not afford a custom made metal tank, so I built my own from plywood, which I slathered in West System Epoxy on the inside and outside. This was strapped down inside the boat.

Along one side I had installed a clear plastic tube that connected to a fitting on the top and bottom of that tank that I used as a sight glass to let me know how much diesel I had left. Over a period of time, that plastic hose I used as a sight glass discolored and faded , but using a light shining at it, I could always tell the level of fuel in the tank.

After about 10 years, I replaced the original engine and also that wood tank. It never once gave me a lick of problems. Not once.
On a whim, I opened the tank's inspection holes on top of the tank. Other than sludge on the bottom of the tank, the tank walls looked like the day I built it.

My replacement tank was made out of aluminum, almost exact proportions as the first, also with a sight glass tube on the side.

I'm sure the wood tank would not pass muster with any yacht standards or survey....but it worked just fine. Off course, my boat was not insured either, but none of that mattered when you are in your 20's and gonna live forever.

The aluminum tank was made up by a local metal manufacturing company to plans and dimensions I gave them. It was not very expensive at all to have it made up and like the wood tank, never gave me a lick of problems either. I think the wall thickness was 3/16".

My next boat also had custom made aluminum diesel tanks by the previous owner.

From there, next boat had a plastic tank of an unknown material, which has been a constant pain in the rear end as it has a tank fuel gauge sending unit mounted on top, which is screwed into the plastic tank on top, but off course, the tank is plastic and the screws and sending plate are s/s.. and getting a perfect seal there is a year round challenge as the plastic tank does not allow for a good threaded insert for the plate fasteners. Additionally, the tank is very flat, so when heeled over, the inside roof of the tank is always immersed.

Having a custom aluminum tank made with a sight glass arrangement, fuel fill and vent, was relatively in-expensive. If fitting is an issue, you could always have two tanks made and connect them together.

I would say wood, ha, but I can see the shudders and hear the laughter from here. I don't think a wood tank would pass a survey as it will likely pose a fire hazard, but I never had a lick of problems with it.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 14:59   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Be wary of a level tube, if you must, then isolate it with valves so that if it’s broken no problem, just remember to open the valves to check fuel level. Then close of course.
A level with a float also works well, and you can sink the float and cap it off, then remove the cap to check level.
For interior inspection find a borescope that’s IP68 or higher.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 15:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yes, I agree, the valves on a sight tube is an excellent idea, wished I thought about that 40 years ago, I think I wore out lady luck and she has quit sitting on my shoulder.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 15:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I like the idea of the wood tank! I'd probly go all upmarket & put a glass skin on the outside.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 16:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I built my first boat.

Being very poor, I could not afford a custom made metal tank, so I built my own from plywood, which I slathered in West System Epoxy on the inside and outside...
Wow, I wouldn't have thought epoxy would work very well at containing fuel; very cool.

I'm curious to know why you replaced your engine after 10 years. Did something break?

You've definitely got me considering an aluminum tank now as the plastic tank manufacturers I looked up either didn't offer custom tanks or the expense was likely to be higher.

Did you notice any corrosion anywhere on the aluminium tank during its service life?

You mentioned sludge having formed in the bottom of your tank, had you cleaned the tank at all during its time aboard? When I threw out my OEM tank it had sludge in the bottom, too. I don't know when it was cleaned last (if ever) as I had just bought my boat and didn't know about the likelihood of tank sludge. After reading Nigel Calder's diesel engine maintenance book I've since resolved to be more careful with the fuel.

Not trying to be rude with my questions BTW, I'm just woefully ignorant 😆
Old 13-05-2020, 16:45   #15

What do you guys think about having the fuel filler accessible under the engine inspection hatch? This would allow deletion of the OEM fuel filler cap which is in the middle of the cockpit floor (prone to water ingress).

Tags
diesel, tanks