Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 14:25   #61

Boat: Newport 27 S-II
You are not crazy!!!

Being told you can't do something is crazy! BTW, are you my brother? my wife and I are doing the EXACT same thing in the EXACT same area! We will be in the Tampa area early January looking for our next home(boat). We've never sailed, and have a similar budget as you, as well, and will be making a late run for southern waters in late winter/early spring, weather permitting. Anyway, crazy is in the eye of the beholder. My family thought I was nuts when I quit my good job to live a life of poverty, travel and seasonal jobs, but i've never regretted it. Travelling across country and back living in a van with our cats on $2200. told not to do it, that we were destined to fail and going to be forced to live on the street Turned out to be one of the greatest trips in our lives! If you are already dreaming of doing it, then it is possible, no matter what anybody else says, so ignore those naysayers and give it all you got, cuz it's going to take it. See you out there!
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:32   #62

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Are we crazy? (please be brutally honest)

ellibell, what I think differs is that going out on the water and crossing from Florida to the carribean can be risky if you don't know what you are doing or have enough knowledge and experience. I think that's where people see this as a no go.

Starting in say the Virgin Islands and spending time getting used to things and getting training, experience and knowledge changes things. On a road trip, you can fail and your life won't be over. In a passage, you could fail and lives could be at risk.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:46   #63
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
@ Rookiemoon, yes, you are certifiable. That said, most dreamers are crazy, but determined. More importantly, without crazy people, we in the U.S. would still be living in Europe.

Don't just look in Tampa, look in Panama City, Destin, and other small markets. The smaller market means the boats there are usually known to the locals. For example, I have personally dealt with Panama City Yacht Sales. I found Dave to be very knowlegable about the boats he has for sale. He also had the history on quite a few of the boats and in some cases sold them to their present owners.

That said, you may very well find a 30' boat that meets your requirements for the price you mentioned. However to safely make the journey you are talking about you will need a few basic safety items that will probably blow your budget out of the water. Items such as a liferaft, an epirb, satphone or SSB Radio, safety harnesses, tethers, etc. I won't even go into making a night sail in a small boat in a big ocean.

I would strongly urge you to get a fixed keel boat, and remind you that smaller boats usually have smaller everything, are less comfortable in any kind of seas and have a LOT less amenities than their big brothers.

Many people above you gave some very good advice, but ultimately the choice and the risk is yours.

If they can expand their budget a little bit, I know someone who has a Catalina '30 -- with a newer engine -- for about $8k.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:47   #64

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
ellibell, what I think differs is that going out on the water and crossing from Florida to the carribean can be risky if you don't know what you are doing or have enough knowledge and experience. I think that's where people see this as a no go.

Starting in say the Virgin Islands and spending time getting used to things and getting training, experience and knowledge changes things. On a road trip, you can fail and your life won't be over. In a passage, you could fail and lives could be at risk.

Either way, see you there
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:52   #65
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Maybe a few professional lessons first would be good. That will get you past a lot of pitfalls that noobs make (often over and over). aside from that, go for it.

I completely agree with that. It wouldn't cost that much and would give them a big jump start. Once a person has the basics solidly down, going out on their own for short trips might not be a bad idea -- BUT is there anything like towboat insurance where they're headed?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:00   #66

Boat: Buying Jun 2012

Are you prepared to go into this and just "quit" at any time? I mean you have a $5k investment (2 x the price of a moderate Honeymoon) so if it goes really BAD just sell the boat for a $1 and leave and call it done. Where do you land when you return to the states? Have a plan and a roof and car upon arrival?
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:03   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebell View Post
Either way, see you there
sorry to be brutally honest there is a big learning curve,equally i don't want to dwell on the misfortunes of others.
see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ash-72620.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:37   #68

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
Are you prepared to go into this and just "quit" at any time? I mean you have a $5k investment (2 x the price of a moderate Honeymoon) so if it goes really BAD just sell the boat for a $1 and leave and call it done. Where do you land when you return to the states? Have a plan and a roof and car upon arrival?
That is one thing that noone has brought up. Everytime my wife and I talk about it, she always brings up all the other costs (insurance (both both and health), retirement savings and any other practical things one should have).

At the age the OP is at, I don't see it as a big risk financially, but there may be more costs than they are thinking of. In addition to the boat. If they aren't willing to just sell for any price and want to get back some of their money, they may have to hold on to the boat longer than planned to sell. Boats are sitting for quite some time before being sold these days.

Not saying this can't be done, but I think the budget and timing might open the door to other options. It's hard to say though since the OP says they have $5-6k to spend on the boat and $1k to spend a month and could sustain that for maybe as much as 2 years. Does that mean they have $30k saved or have some sort of income they are expecting? Not knowing all the fine details its really hard to say what would work well or not.

I'd think looking into some sort of long term rental might be better, although then the lack of experience would certainly limit things. I'd think some charter companies might even entertain a pretty substantial discount to have a boat in use for 3 months solid, plus this would take care of insurance, maintenance (if needed)..etc.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:55   #69

Boat: mt34dt

Do it! If you do not go one day you will regret it, but one should never regret trying--win,lose, or draw.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:59   #70

Boat: Cabo Rico

It is not crazy as long as you have the proper anchor and a proven backup anchor. I encourage you to ask around here on this forum and others to develop the knowledge about anchors so you can proceed with your dream.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:08   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
It is not crazy as long as you have the proper anchor and a proven backup anchor. I encourage you to ask around here on this forum and others to develop the knowledge about anchors so you can proceed with your dream.
make sure you have a rocna,and a manson as a back up............or was it the other way round...................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:32   #72
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

bry,
I would suggest taking a "Safety at Sea" seminar, which invests a whole day into safety issues. You will be in a small old boat in a big ocean, and something like a life raft could blow your budget in one shot. Or, you may choose not to carry one. But at least you'll be aware of the larger issues.
Folks have gone further on less but not every trip has had a happy ending. I'd suggest taking advantage of grandpa's knowledge to make sure you're in a sound boat before you buy it. Buying in the Carib to save the trip over certainly has some logic to it, but then it also complicates issues of registration and title and the sale itself, and those will vary depending on where you buy the boat, if it isn't from the USVI or PR.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:15   #73

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Last year we bought our Pearson 424 in St Thomas, USVI and moved it to a mooring in Tortola, BVI. We registered it in St Thomas; no problem.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:26   #74
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Breakaway, presumably your mooring in Tortola for more than 30 days also requires an annual $200 temporary import fee? The BVI seem generous about allowing indefinite extended stays, it isn't that way everywhere.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:53   #75

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Breakaway, presumably your mooring in Tortola for more than 30 days also requires an annual $200 temporary import fee? The BVI seem generous about allowing indefinite extended stays, it isn't that way everywhere.

Yep, we just pay that fee every year.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote