Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 12:59   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Ask Vs Sale price

I am particularly interested in several boats that seem most common in the Nth American market.
This is a market I have no experience of.
Models include Passports, Morgan and IPs.
Please don't turn this into a model debate [emoji1]
My Q is are the asking prices realistically what I should expect to pay or are they typically expecting a percentage hit?
Yes, I know that survey results will affect price but its usual to agree a figure before survey.
Any tips?
Thanks
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 13:19   #2

Re: Ask Vs Sale price

The normal expectation in the United States, when buying a big-ticket item (car, boat, house, etc.), it is expected that you will offer something less than the asking price. Just how much less is the difficult question.

Right now, here in Florida at least, it is a buyers market. In general, unless a boat is in very good condition, and offered for a very good price, there will not be buyers lined up to snap it up if you don't offer enough. So no harm in offering less, and negotiating.

There is a lot of variation in asking prices, with some sellers asking prices very reasonable, and some almost ridiculously high. There are boats out there that I would not even offer half of the asking price. And there are others where I would probably offer 90% - 95% of the asking price. You just have to spend a lot of time looking in order to get a feel for what is reasonable.

And the truth is, for those boats that are ridiculously over-priced, I probably would not offer half the asking price. I simply would not offer anything at all. Until the seller gets more realistic with what his/her boat is worth, I would rather not waste my time.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 23:11   #3

Thanks. That's sort of my read on it.

It's tough because it's such a limited market.

It's even harder because I am so far from the boats that interest me.

I think I will ask about some specific cases on here when the time comes.

Mark.
Old 07-06-2017, 19:42   #4

Boat: Island Packet 349

Is it true that in the UK buyers are not expected to negotiate the price of second hand boats?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 22:27   #5

The UK is exactly the same as the USA in that offers are normal and expected.
It does seem to me that in general the asking price for boats seems quite high in the USA. Of course it is very difficult to compare on a like for like basis.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:08   #6
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
The UK is exactly the same as the USA in that offers are normal and expected.
It does seem to me that in general the asking price for boats seems quite high in the USA. Of course it is very difficult to compare on a like for like basis.
Perhaps for production boats like is more like, but even then, condition, condition, condition, right?
Also very popular boats in Europe are sometimes almost orphans in the US, and vice versa, I'm sure.

Do you have a sense of this issue, asking price vs offering price, with boats for sale in the Netherlands or Belgium? thinking of next spring, want to respect cultural norms, and not waste time or insult people.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:56   #7

I think that between what you say td0tz about "orphan" boats and what Denver says about owners expectations you have the situation summed up...
Island Packets in particular seem far cheaper in Europe. They come on the market at USA prices and sit there for 2 years before the price drops by at least 30% to sell them.
There are so few Passport yachts in Europe that its impossible to judge.

I just wondered if there was a different perception over the pond but I think not.

I have studied the market for 18 months and dont intend offering for another year. I would love to know what the actual sale price is that boats achieve.

Tags
price, sale