Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 05:39   #1

Australia Registration

Currently looking at buying a UK registered boat in Australia - does anyone know if I can retain the registration or if it must be transfered to Australia?
Shayamoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:46   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Australia Registration

Are you Australian? Are you keeping the boat in Australia? Do you ever intend to leave Australia with the boat? Are you financing the purchase? These are all pertinent questions.

Boats in Australia under 24m LOA do not need to be registered, but can be for various reasons and benefits.

Do you qualify for the UK registration? If not, get the previous owner to delete the boat from the UK registry after the title has been transferred.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 20:38   #3

Good prompts fxykty - yes, to keeping boat in Australia initially but would be doing some crusing abroad over the next few years but not financing the purchase.

I'm a dual Aussie/UK citizen although residing in Australia so not sure if I'd qualify for UK registration?

I didnt know registering the boat in Australia <24m was optional - is that because its already registered in the UK and what are the benefits of local registration?

Appreciate any insight
Old 15-09-2020, 21:02   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayamoya View Post
I didnt know registering the boat in Australia <24m was optional - is that because its already registered in the UK and what are the benefits of local registration?
According to a weird song by Led Zepplin, "sometimes words have two meanings".

Because Aus is a federation, 'registration' of a vessel can have at least two meanings:

(a) state or territory registration, where state or territory = Tas, Vic, NSW, QLD and so on; and

(b) registration on the Australian Shipping Register (managed by AMSA).

In some federal economies, meaning (b) is called "documentation". In the UK, because it is not a federation, "registration" generally refers to the Small Ships Registry.

If Shayamoya intends to sail the vessel out of Aus waters on its own bottom and to be legally correct, the vessel needs type (b) registration - meaning being listed on the UK SSR, the Aus Shipping Registry, the Malaysian Langkawi registry, or such things run by Panama and others.

Depending on in which Aus state or territory you reside, you likely will need to pay for registration in that state or territory. But only "likely". If you really are entitled to hold the SSRegistration, then you could keep the foreign registration. And by displaying that SSR number and flying the Red Duster (and an Aus defaced red duster as courtesy flag) you could "avoid" paying state or territory registration. Or not! There are legal points: if you're an Aus citizen resident in a state or territory other than NT or Vic, you're most likely caught by needing to pay state or territory registration. Whether the person who sold the vessel to you had paid Aus import duty and GST on the vessel as part of importing the vessel into Aus is also a factor. I could go on about what might happen in your vessel happens to be in any of the several marinas in Aus that are regularly visited by ABF officers, or the state waters that are well policed, but they're all other issues.

As for advantages and procedures for the Aus Shipping Registry, you might want to take a Captain Cook at: https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...-fishing-boats
Old 15-09-2020, 23:31   #5

Boat: between boats

If you have an address in the UK that can be verified thats all you need to get on the SSR there. Its pretty easy.

That wont stop you importing the boat when you buy it in the eyes of customs though so add 15% unless the current owner can prove thats already been paid.

Its possible to avoid importing the boat if you take it out of the country within 12 months. Best to consult an expert on exactly how to do this as you need to jump some hoops and how the boat came in may affect this.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 01:54   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayamoya View Post
Good prompts fxykty - yes, to keeping boat in Australia initially but would be doing some crusing abroad over the next few years but not financing the purchase.

I'm a dual Aussie/UK citizen although residing in Australia so not sure if I'd qualify for UK registration?

Appreciate any insight

There are two UK registries: the SSR (also known as part 3) mentioned before but only for UK residents, and the part 1 register that does allow some qualified non-residents (if registering via Jersey for example you can name a local agent and don’t need UK residency; we did this).

Your boat doesn’t need national registration (or any other foreign registration) if you don’t plan to go overseas, but it will need state registration except in NT and ACT. It will also need to be registered nationally if you do plan to leave Australia - state registration is not enough.

If you can qualify to transfer the UK registration that’s easiest and one benefit is you can get your ship’s station (radio) license from OFCOM for free. Are you OK to have a UK home port on your stern and to fly the Red Ensign? You will need to state register as well as described above.

If you prefer to fly an Australian flag then register on the national registry. You will also need state registration as described above.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 02:45   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I assume it is on the 'full' UK register....
Major benefit of leaving it under UK flag is cost... UK registry is cheap.

Like you I am a dual national.... brought my UK flagged yacht into Australia in 1994 where she stayed for 9 years... the UK registry has my Australian address.

Never had an issue with the flag while in Straya... flew the Australian Red Ensign as a courtesy flag (NB it is no longer a defaced UK Red Ensign... not since Australia established its own Ship Registry in about 1982ish... when 'British Ships registered in Australia' ceased to exist)

The tax issue is independent of the flag issue... the tax man only wants his money... could not care less if you dress her up as monkey and call her Betty....

State registration? Foreign flag... no probs.... had to jump through the hoops for 20 minutes once when afloat in Victoria.... they didn't bother me again....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 02:38   #8

Most informative and very much appreciated all!

The boat has been fully imported to Australia and would remain in NSW for approx 12 months where I'm a resident before I hope to cruise the Pacific initially and Caribbean longer term.

Not sure on reading the thread if keeping the SSR has any real advantage apart from a potential saving in Australian registration costs stated by El Pinguino.

I don't suppose it might have appeal if eventually onsold to someone looking to return the boat to UK waters where importation duties might be avoided?

Hoping the amsa hyperlink provides further insight
Old 17-09-2020, 03:08   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If you can keep the SSR by having some semblence of UK residency I would keep it.

Do Not ask Australian authorities ... they will default to the full 'NO!' to cover their backsides.

I would leave her on the SSR and take out a year's worth of NSW state rego....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 03:14   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
If you can keep the SSR by having some semblence of UK residency I would keep it.

Do Not ask Australian authorities ... they will default to the full 'NO!' to cover their backsides.

I would leave her on the SSR and take out a year's worth of NSW state rego....
For what little it is worth, please note that I agree with El Ping.
Old 17-09-2020, 04:01   #11

...thanks El Pinguino, my initial thoughts too!
Old 17-09-2020, 04:03   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

as an aside : you will need state registration if you plan to have your own mooring (as opposed to renting a mooring or marina berth from a marina or such)

this is in addition to the national registration that you need to travel internationally

ie if the maintain UK registration, you wouldn't need AUS registration, but you would need the state rego if you want your own mooring

if travelling internationally, i'd be tempted to retain the red duster. get a bit more respect / recognition than aussie, and uk has a load more consulates etc to help if you need it.

nb : i'm a dual uk / aust citizen too, so in not dissimilar position...

cheers,

cheers,

Tags
Australia, registration