Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 15:15   #1

Ball park number for rigging replacement

I'm looking around for what will be my first sailboat. What I'm looking for is something in the 27-32ft range, deep keeled. I'm going to assume that at the very least, I'll need to replace all the rigging. What would be a ball-park number for having that done on a sloop or cutter rig?

I want to make sure there is enough left in the kitty after buying the boat to make any immediate repairs/upgrades.
Dmk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 15:25   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Ball park number for rigging replacement

Complete replacement of standing (rod) and running rig on 36' sloop = $15k.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 15:44   #3

Wow, glad I asked!
Old 28-01-2016, 15:46   #4

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Part of it depends on whether you're going to do it yourself or hire it out to someone else.

I did the standing rigging on my boat myself with materials/shipping costs being just under $1500. I haven't done any of the running rigging yet.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 15:51   #5

Thanks Rhapsody! I'm assuming worst-case in case it's something I don't have time for. Been following your work on your Nor'Sea - looking for one of those myself!
Old 28-01-2016, 16:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Why don't you call a rigger? It depends on many, many factors but sure, you could spend a few thousand and you could spend perhaps 10 or 15 thousand. But it's not just rigging---you ask a much bigger question and my answer is that while many can afford to buy a boat, not all of those can afford to own and maintain that boat. If you are buying an older fixer upper, you could spend two to three times the purchase price to really get her in shape. You mat still end up with a terrific boat for a lot less money than another boat...or you may overspend....tread carefully and hire a pro to advise you.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 16:13   #7

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk56 View Post
Thanks Rhapsody! I'm assuming worst-case in case it's something I don't have time for. Been following your work on your Nor'Sea - looking for one of those myself!
Thanks. Are you on the Nor'sea Owners Group? Some boats sell through there without listing on other sites.

I've been working on my engine lately so I haven't posted any updates in a while.

What other boats are you considering as part of the rigging work? or just more hypothetical?
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:23   #8

I had all the standing rigging replaced last year on my 30' C&C. Total cost was about $4500 including labor.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I recently purchased all new rigging for my 42' cutter for about $3600. That included not only all new wire and terminals but also toggles, turnbuckles and chainplates for the shrouds. This is DIY but the rigger said they would do the installation (except the chainplates) for a few hundred so whole job would be about $4000. Don't know about
rod which may be a different ball game.

This was using top quality components from a high end supplier.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 19:04   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Why don't you call a rigger? It depends on many, many factors but sure, you could spend a few thousand and you could spend perhaps 10 or 15 thousand. But it's not just rigging---you ask a much bigger question and my answer is that while many can afford to buy a boat, not all of those can afford to own and maintain that boat. If you are buying an older fixer upper, you could spend two to three times the purchase price to really get her in shape. You mat still end up with a terrific boat for a lot less money than another boat...or you may overspend....tread carefully and hire a pro to advise you.
Good advice!

You will be much better off finding a boat in excellent condition than buying a project and fixing her up. You could easily pour thirty into an Alberg 30 if a yard does the work. You'd have a wonderful boat, but it would be worth no more than 20 grand, in my opinion. Much better to buy the Alberg 30 for $20k from the man (or his widow) who spent thirty grand rebuilding her.

And no rod rigging on a cruising boat.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 19:59   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Good advice!

You will be much better off finding a boat in excellent condition than buying a project and fixing her up. You could easily pour thirty into an Alberg 30 if a yard does the work. You'd have a wonderful boat, but it would be worth no more than 20 grand, in my opinion. Much better to buy the Alberg 30 for $20k from the man (or his widow) who spent thirty grand rebuilding her.

Paul
No rod rigging???

If in the budget, why not? I have cruised a couple boats (more like performance cruisers or cruiser/racers) which did quite well, thank you, with rod rigging.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 20:54   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hmmm... lots of Valiant 40's came with rod rigging...

Jim
Old 28-01-2016, 21:03   #13

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Bombay Pilothouse 31 all new wire and marine eyes. Reused turnbuckles. Two uppers and four lowers with split backstay. Did the measuring myself and sent numbers to riggingonly.com Had it all back in a week. Fit perfect. Sent a buddy up the mast for two hours to uninstall/install... total price just under $1000. Wire was 1/4"
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 22:32   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Given that the boat's unknown to you, then it makes sense to inspect ALL of her rigging components.
From the tangs, & tang bolts, through each piece, all of the way down to the chainplates & mast step. As well as all of your spar's electrical wiring/systems, & conduit for same, in the mast. Plus, sheaves & exit boxes. Condition of halyards & other running rigging. Deck hardware. Etcetra.

So while you can get a decent estimate on the basics of replacing the rigging (running & standing) at http://www.riggingandhardware.com/ (Rigging Only). Said components are only part of the equation.

Thus, before you buy a boat, such is the reasoning behind having a professional rigging inspection done. In addition to checking over as much of these things yourself, as you can, too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 08:20   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Standing rigging for our Cape Dory 31 cutter rig $1500 all new fittings but removed and replaced myself. Took it all to a rigger while mast was down. Running rigging yet to be done. Either have the time or the money having both is rare.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging