Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2023, 19:36   #1

Bard and Bing AI

I have been playing with the search engine AI's asking it random boat questions and my experience thus far is the Bing is way better than Bard. Bard thinks a Contessa 35 had a full keel and that a Catalina 32 would be good for oceans crossings as well as an O'Day 35. I asked a lot of questions regarding keels and spade rudders, Bing was a little more conservative about them but bard was just full on f it and said spade rudders were great. I still have a hang up on spade rudders, I am reading a book about a guy sailing to Newfoundland and all the trouble he took to avoid crab pots even in his 40 ft full-keeled boat. I can only imagine the damage to a spade rudder if the boat ran over some crab pots. I will continue to test the ai just for giggles. Funny enough Bing really likes the Nicholson 32 (as do I) but bard seems to think its not suitable for much of anything.
jerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 19:43   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Bard and Bing AI

Bard is the best. A balanced spade rudder is the best. And they don’t have crab pots in Maine. They have lobster pots.

Did you get the AI to write the post? Lol. Only joking around. That’s not a personal insult. I mean no harm by it.

All the facts should be checked and taken with a grain of salt using AI. All checks should be faxed to an old salt when using AI. It can make a lot of mistakes since it’s only doing pattern recognition and being fed the internet as its sole source of info.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 19:48   #3

I live in md its all about crab here lol sorry. I really like the Contessa 35 I think it has the right size big enough for oodles of storage and not so huge that I need to find help sailing it. I know a lot of boats have spade rudders even Hylas have twin spades like racing boats so it's probably safe enough. The Contessa also can fit into my budget.
jerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:36   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t know about Bard or Bing, but I sail Newfoundland waters in a full-keel boat. I’ve never hooked anything, but you do have to be careful, just as you would in any fishing grounds.
Old 10-09-2023, 05:14   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

I agree that Bing (based on ChatGPT) is generally more mature than Bard right now.

As for spade rudders and crab pots - I’ve picked up a couple. No problem at all. They slow the boat down a couple knots until you stop and clear them. But no permanent harm done.
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote