Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 11:55   #1

Boat: Tartan 31
Barn find C&C 35 Mk I

While waiting to meet the broker to look at a C&C 33 Mk I (which I have decided to make an offer on, stay tuned in another thread), one of the yard staff mentioned that way in the back corner of the shed is a long-abandoned C&C 35. He said it was a Mk II, but it turns out to be a Mk I from the early 1970s, as I discovered when I climbed a conveniently placed ladder to get a closer look (I should have realized that when I saw the rudder, but its been a while... the Mk II has a higher-aspect, balanced rudder like the 33, while the Mk I has the "scimitar" rudder you will see in the video should you care to watch it).

Here is the video I shot of my encounter with her, and my emotional reactions... I am truly sad about the lamentable state of this beautiful boat, and I hope to one day see her restored to her former glory (but it won't be by me).

I make no claims as to the condition or availability of this boat, other than it appears from a cursory inspection to be OK, though with about 20 years of dust on it. My dad had one of these boats from 1974-1983, it was the boat I grew up sailing on and I have many happy memories of that time, and it is why I love sailing and am now seeking to get my own classic C&C (again, see my thread on the C&C 33).

It is at the Gibraltar Boat Yard in Gibraltar, Michigan. If you are sufficiently motivated, find their contact info and give them a call and ask about it. No one there could tell me whether the owner was known, though there are some shoe tracks on the deck and some materials around it that suggest it was last attended to in maybe 2020.

If the stars align for you and this boat, you may be able to get her for a song and a lot of sweat equity.

And if you get her and it doesn't work out, please don't curse my name for simply informing you of the opportunity. I know we can't save every classic C&C from neglect and oblivion, but some of us can at least try. The current owner doesn't seem to have it in him.
Michigan_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 16:33   #2

Boat: O'Day 30 CB
Re: Barn find C&C 35 Mk I

GBY, huh? That's about 20 minutes from me. I have enough projects, but this might be worthwhile for somebody.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 16:49   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

That was a big boat back then. If she could only tell the stories…
Old 04-05-2022, 16:50   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Trinidad 48

I have a 1975 35.2 that was left outside for 10 years. Of course, I've had to do, and am still doing work on it. Got it in Chicago last spring, got the work done to get it in the water (including painting), and cruised it down to New Orleans where it's one of the prettiest boats on Lake Pontchartrain. I'm planning on going to the Caribbean in about November. However, I may sell it as I just picked up a Jeanneau Trinidad 48. But, I love that C&C!
Tonyshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tony.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:34   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome Eric & Tony.

Eric, I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:12   #7

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Adelie, please read post #1, paragraph #4.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:31   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Adelie, please read post #1, paragraph #4.
Yeah, what about it? His location? That’s great for this thread and only for the folks that read and bothered to read the whole post and pay attention. Many don’t.

The point of putting boat and location info in his profile is that they are both shown in every post under UserName. Readers don’t have to go back many posts or even pages to find boat and/or location when formulating an answer that may depend on one of those.

This is an issue the recurs so frequently I have a canned reply which is what my previous post mostly was.

You didn’t read my post closely enough to understand what I was getting at.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote