Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 04:37   #61

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The quality of the delivery is different. The ability of agm to deliver high current very quickly, such as needed for starting an engine or running a windlass, is an important aspect.
??

I think that's cranking amps. And I think 1000 (for example) cranking amps from an AGM and 1000 (same example) cranking amps from a FLA are pretty much the same: 1000 (ditto) cranking amps.

-Chris
Old 01-02-2018, 04:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
We went with 2 Trojan 8D generating 920 amps at 20 hrs. More than enough for us, cheaper than 4-Grp 31.
Quote:
Trojanbattery.com
Not GEL, AGM. Critics are welcome, I made de desicion..... so I guess I am done...

920?

I'd have thought closer to 490-Ah (-ish) for two 8Ds...

Anyway, sounds like a decent choice.

-Chris
Old 01-02-2018, 05:04   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Well Folks, Thank you very much for all your input, you were very instrumental in my decision.... which now has been made. We went with 2 Trojan 8D generating 920 amps at 20 hrs. More than enough for us, cheaper than 4-Grp 31. The place I bought them at had great knowledge about the differnt batteries and we went thru it all. Not cheap but, but I feel very good about our decision.
I'm late coming in, but:

1. After going through it all with the place with great knowledge about the different batteries, I am surprised that you clearly don't know the difference between Amps and Amp hours. You may like to read http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1933764
(also batteries don't "generate" anything, they store Amp hours (Ah) and can deliver a different amount depending on how fast they are drawn down - hence the "20 hour rate")

2. According to their website, The only Trojan 8D AGMs are dual purpose, not true deep cycle. If you don't understand the difference - you are going to be unpleasantly surprised by the life and performance of your new batteries under deep cycle conditions. See Reliant AGM | Trojan Battery Company

3. According to the same website, 8D-AGMs have a capacity of
230 Ah, meaning that your two batteries will give you 460 Ah at the 20 hour rate, not the 920 you expect. Again, you are in for an unpleasant surprise when you start drawing them down deeply.

Added. I'm surpised that your 2 x D8s cost less than 4 x Grp 31s.
Generally I see Grp 31 Deepcycle AGMs come in at around 40% of D8s.
Here for example:
http://eddpb.eehuu.servertrust.com/category-s/1948.htm
$364 v $890
or here https://www.solarwholesaler.ca/produ...tvolts=12vbatt
$385/426 v $922
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:10   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
??

I think that's cranking amps. And I think 1000 (for example) cranking amps from an AGM and 1000 (same example) cranking amps from a FLA are pretty much the same: 1000 (ditto) cranking amps.

-Chris
Yep, you can build FLA or AGM with any desired CCA rating. But high cranking amps, implies thin plates, regardless of FLA or AGM - and that's exactly what you don't want in a deep cycle battery.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:15   #65
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/8d-agm/

"Dual-Purpose", only pseudo deep cycling, not designed for long term use drawing down to 40-50% DoD, really just a beefed-up starter batt.

230AH, a pair is 460AH paralleled @12v

The "460 each" number is minutes (not AH) 'reserve capacity', not used in comparing true deep cycling.

And AGM means more expensive and shorter life than flooded.

Will serve the purpose, but for maybe 1/4 - 1/3rd the lifespan, thus very poor " $/AH/year " value overall, compared to at least a dozen alternatives discussed above.

And a challenge physically at 161lbs each.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:19   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Trojanbattery.com

Not GEL, AGM. Critics are welcome, I made de desicion..... so I guess I am done...

Yes but this is a battery thread, it’s likely to go on for days, long after your forgotten.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:31   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, you can build FLA or AGM with any desired CCA rating. But high cranking amps, implies thin plates, regardless of FLA or AGM - and that's exactly what you don't want in a deep cycle battery.

Yep, got that. I was just responding to the zboss preceding note which only mentioned AGM vs. FLA, not starting vs. dual purpose vs. deep cycle.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2018, 11:22   #68
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
where maximum high-amp discharge rate is desired

besides cranking diesels, e.g. for big inverter, windlass

**as well as** true deep cycling longevity

and convenience, or other more critical reason, demands paying more for AGM

in G-31 size

Odyssey PC-2150 is IMO ideal, even though Enersys calls it dual-purpose, it is **not** just a glorified Starter batt like nearly all with that label.

But only 100AH, so IMO not for the OP requirements.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28   #69

Last and final comment is a comment about the people who sold me the batteries:American Pride Golf Cart Services in Bradenton, FL.
"American Pride is FIRST CLASS when it comes to knowlege and know how. I needed new batteries and they helped me select the RIGHT kind for my application. Once ordered they had my two 8D batteries on site in 2 days. If you need batteries go and see Logan. He really knows his stuff!!" I highly recomend them if you need batteries..... just google them and they will pop right up.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:49   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Last and final comment is a comment about the people who sold me the batteries:American Pride Golf Cart Services in Bradenton, FL.
"American Pride is FIRST CLASS when it comes to knowlege and know how. I needed new batteries and they helped me select the RIGHT kind for my application. Once ordered they had my two 8D batteries on site in 2 days. If you need batteries go and see Logan. He really knows his stuff!!" I highly recomend them if you need batteries..... just google them and they will pop right up.

Did Logn tell you that Trojan 8D-AGM are true deep cycle batteries?

Did he tell you that two of them would "generate 920 amps"?

Did he tell you that one of them is cheaper than two G31 true deep cycle AGMs?

If so, I dispute your assertion.
Old 02-02-2018, 16:03   #71

Quote:
Did Logn tell you that Trojan 8D-AGM are true deep cycle batteries?

Did he tell you that two of them would "generate 920 amps"?

Did he tell you that one of them is cheaper than two G31 true deep cycle AGMs?

If so, I dispute your assertion.
No StuM he did not. You know what they say StuM? There is an a$$ in every crowd! I guess you are it in thi "crowd". I tried to learn, I tried to share whAt I learned and know. You aparantly is just another lonely flame thower.

I dont like to throw anybody under the bus, but when someone try's to take my experience and take it out of context, I will fire back!!
Old 02-02-2018, 16:42   #72

Quote:
No StuM he did not. You know what they say StuM? There is an a$$ in every crowd! I guess you are it in thi "crowd". I tried to learn, I tried to share whAt I learned and know. You aparantly is just another lonely flame thower.

I dont like to throw anybody under the bus, but when someone try's to take my experience and take it out of context, I will fire back!!
Chris,

Perhaps you might choose to, instead, answer Stu's questions. There really do seem to be some incorrect bits of information in your responses. [I only know Stu from this forum, even though we share the same name and interest in things electrical.] For example, the # of amp hours. How's that for starters? If I had posted your OP and read all of the followup, I would be seriously questioning what I purchased. If it turns out that perhaps you mis-typed something, that's one thing. But I think that what folks are trying to do is better inform you to see if perhaps either your info as typed is wrong or what you purchased may be.

It's all for the best, your best, not theirs.

Wouldn't you be concerned that you're only getting 460 ah, not "920 amps?" If they were my batteries, I certainly would.

In all cases, best of luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 16:54   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Since you purchased a pair of 8D batteries one has to assume it was on the recommendation of the person you say knows his stuff.

Since you purchased them for house batteries then one has to assume Logan would know that a true, deep cycle battery would be the best option.

Based on my knowledge and experience and clearly that of knowledgeable members of the forum (and I count Stu in that group) an 8D battery is not the "best" choice so I also have to question your endorsement of the supplier.

By the way, you did say "critics are welcome" so why annoyed when someone takes you up on it?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 17:02   #74

Boys Boys, Please tak ALL factors in to play. I am limited in size and depth in my batt box. The only thing that fits is group 31 or 8D's. I am sure I could throw some car batts in there, but that is not what I want. AGM/GEL/FLA I really dont care, I wanted max amps (and yes 2X460=920) for my own reasons. If someone disagrees with tha,t fine.... but dont ding the people that helped ME. Its a reputable company with a reputable product, at least around here. So just like everyone here tried to help me I was just trying to help back...... Sorry it backfired!
Old 02-02-2018, 17:05   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:

I have never heard of a golf cart with 8D batteries, and I was a golf professional for years! Since you eliminated golf car batteries (which are efficient, true deep cycle batteries), perhaps Logan was out of his depth recommending something out of his knowledge base.

I do agree with others that certain details need clearing up for the sake of credibility.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote