Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 09:45   #31

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Bavaria Vision 46 - Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinGravity View Post
Just left the boat show">annapolis boat show and the new Vision 46 was our favorite (we passed on the Swan 80 due to a lack of crew). I can't speak for the offshore capabilty but the layout is fantastic and it looks great.
We saw the Vision 46 at the show also. My wife really liked the split twin-bunk aft cabin, which would be perfect for our kids. However, the main cabin in the bow is awfully plain, with no cabinets or bookshelves along the sides. That is space that could be used a little better. Of course, you could probably install your own shelving.

We agreed the offset entrance in the cockpit was a good feature, allowing the table to fold down and make a very nice bunk to sleep outside under the stars.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:29   #32

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanL View Post
Hi all

Lets get to the question. This is about the Vision 46 not the older boats. I know someone with a Vision 46 and have sailed on it many times.

It is a great boat both in terms of a floating caravan in harbour and also as a sailing boat - you only need to read the reviews. (it takes a lot for Yachting Monthly to praise a yacht as much as they have praised the 42 !!!)

I have been sailing for over 30 years on all sorts of boats.....mass produced and so called 'premium yachts'

I am so impressed with the vision I have now ordered a Vision 42.

Bavaria, like many mass producers, went through a period where the sailing attributes were questionable. however, they are also one of the first to realise their problem and actually address it.

Credit where credit is due.
Congratulations to you

I agree, the Vision 42 is a fine boat and Yachting world comments are well deserved. The previous 40 vision was as good even if with a somewhat old looking interior.

Regarding performance not all Bavarias are the same but globally they are certainly good sailing boats. In my opinion Bavaria weak point for some years was the interior, not in what regards quality but in what regards design. The new Visions are an agreeable exception.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Yes it's all there, like a couple of undersized winches.. Get 6 new with $10000 plus work..

Most Yacht Manufacturers work out the requirted winches and then fit one the next size down to save money......INLCUDING the premium yacht manufacturers.....I rigger friend always laughs at this when he visits boats.
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Twin wheels are very very common on med boats to allow easy access to the cockpit when stern moored.

I've sailed these boats. They are reasonable for the money. You get named brand hardware and engines etc.

Dave

It also makes easier mooring when coming alongside as you can steer and see the side you are morring on. My wofe finds this a real plus as she is so short!
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 18:41   #35

Sorry to wake an old thread, but we are considering a Bavaria Vision 46 after seeing it in Annapolis. Last year there was a few of you considering it including IanL ordering the 42. Any fresh feedback on this boat or the 42?

Anyone find any English speaking owners forums for it out there? There are only a handful in the Americas so its been hard to track down owners impressions or issues.
bsfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 20:02   #36

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

We bought a V46 and think it is a great boat. My suggestion would be to have Skype calls with a few current owners (your broker should be able to help you with that), that is what we did. PM me if you'd like to speak with us.
bobsail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 17:11   #37

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
We saw the Vision 46 at the show also. My wife really liked the split twin-bunk aft cabin, which would be perfect for our kids. However, the main cabin in the bow is awfully plain, with no cabinets or bookshelves along the sides.

I think I have to correct my own posting. We saw the Bavaria 46 belowdecks at the 2013 show. This month, we saw it at the show, but didn't go below. I wish we had. I had assumed it was the same, but it looks like it's been substantially redesigned, and now without an offset companionway?

Bavaria Yacht - Bavaria Vision 46
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 10:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I think I have to correct my own posting. We saw the Bavaria 46 belowdecks at the 2013 show. This month, we saw it at the show, but didn't go below. I wish we had. I had assumed it was the same, but it looks like it's been substantially redesigned, and now without an offset companionway?
I did not see the previous version, but I can say I was very impressed with the layout of both the Vision 42/46. The offset companionway helps with both the cockpit and galley layout.

The v-berth in the 42 in my opinion was really good without the second head. The 46 being a bit bigger you could squeeze the second head in there, but I am currently getting delivery information for single head options for both 42/46.

My problem is the Canadian dollar is falling and making this more expensive every day. :-(
bsfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 10:29   #39

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I haven't been to a boatshow in a couple of months, but the website still shows an offset companioway.

I may have already mentioned this, but we were quite enamored of the Vision. Then, we got onboard and I realized that all that extra headroom they brag about means that at 5'4, I can't reach the overhead bars! Every time we make the bed, I wish we had that pedestal version...
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 11:01   #40

Boat: Albin Vega

I find it strange that with all this Bavaria bashing (quite deservedly in some cases) nobody mentioned the fact that the Vision line of Bavarias don't exactly manufacture your run-of-the-mill cheapo Bavaria boat, with undersized winches and bargain bin rigging parts. The Vision is the "premium" line of the yard, on par with some more expensive brands, and as such is nicely decked out with decent gear and is finished to a higher standard below decks. Not sure if the hull is any different from ordinary Bavarias, but at least there should be less problems with breakages and underpowered gear.
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 18:21   #41

Boat: Beneteau 473

We looked at a new Bavaria 46. The layout and cockpit were really nice. Not sure why they bailed on a traveller. We really like ours and use it a lot. But it was the barefoot test that ruled it out for us. The faux teak sole in the cockpit scorched our feet and the odd antiskid on deck has a kind of Lego pattern that pinched a bit. We never got to find out how it performed. As cruisers we always barefoot tested all the boats we considered.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 18:27   #42

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
We looked at a new Bavaria 46. The layout and cockpit were really nice. Not sure why they bailed on a traveller. We really like ours and use it a lot. But it was the barefoot test that ruled it out for us. The faux teak sole in the cockpit scorched our feet and the odd antiskid on deck has a kind of Lego pattern that pinched a bit. We never got to find out how it performed. As cruisers we always barefoot tested all the boats we considered.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ohhh, I learned that lesson the hard way at a boat show last spring: faux teak gets hot FAST - I got burned enough that my feet still hurt several hours later and it wasn't even 80 out.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:22   #43

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

I purchased a Bavaria Vision 46 at the 2013 show in Annapolis and have had it on San Francisco Bay and the coast since May. I have been very pleased with the boat. The boat sails extremely well, especially to windward. I configured it with upgraded sails which help. The quality level is what sold us above other production boats we looked at. We love the split companionway and the nice space it creates in the cockpit. There are lots of smart features that improve sailing and living on the boat. The winches, contrary to what has been said in the forum, are all oversized ( all 5 of them). We configured with most options. If anyone is looking for advice on what to order and first hand info on the boat I am happy to provide it. Bavaria has definitely stepped up their game with the Vision series.
TheWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:51   #44

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44

My wife and I went off for a weekend sail on friends' new Vision 46 this past weekend.

Sailed nicely (we tested their new UK-Halsey code zero at 9 kts) and all very comfortable - particularly below decks, where 8 of us lounged around in the evening as if in a studio apartment. The new Farr design has some (apparently award-winning) quirks, such as the absence of a main traveller and the huge party cockpit with the offset companionway - just examples of innovations that some will love, some will hate, and others love to hate. All very fresh and modern.

That said, I don't see this as an offshore cruising boat. As has been touched on above, it's just not ergonomically suited to life lived at a heel, and lumpy with it. The cockpit and saloon are FAR too wide, to start with. In fact, that's enough to end with too, so I'll halt my criticism there.

But other than ocean-crossing, and those quirky innovations (I'm a sailor, so conservative by nature), this is a nice piece of kit and worthy of a try-out.

I write this as an owner of a 2007 Vision 44 (J&J design) with over 20,000 miles under her keel, including South China Sea, Pacific, Tasman & Coral Sea crossings. She's looked after us well. The Vision series are up-spec'ed, for sure - but I still reckon our winches are under-sized!

Everything is a compromise...
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 05:04   #45

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
My wife and I went off for a weekend sail on friends' new Vision 46 this past weekend.
That said, I don't see this as an offshore cruising boat. ...

I write this as an owner of a 2007 Vision 44 (J&J design) with over 20,000 miles under her keel, including South China Sea, Pacific, Tasman & Coral Sea crossings. She's looked after us well. The Vision series are up-spec'ed, for sure - but I still reckon our winches are under-sized!
Sorry you have confused me with your post. What one considers an offshore boat is debatable and the opinions varies but are you saying that the Vision 46 is not an offshore boat and the Vision 44 is an offshore boat? Or are you saying that both are not offshore boats in your opinion?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria