Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 19:27   #1

Boat: Herreschoff Diddikai 39
Bayfield

I sold my Catalina, now looking for a bigger blue water cruiser to single hand. Does anyone know about Bayfield 29 or 32?
Thanks
fgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:29   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35
Re: Bayfield

First off, I must state that I am a catamaran owner and always will be. Having said that, if I were to buy a monohull the Bayfields would be high on my list. I've been on my friends Bayfield and it's amazing. Comfortable inside and well laid out. Sails great in all sorts of wind.
My son helped move one down the Florida coast and had an incredible time.
From what I've seen though they sell quickly, so if you find one, I'd jump on it if I were you.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 06:53   #3

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

There are always a few for sale around the Great Lakes their home territory. I wouldn't say they sell any faster than any other. They are well laid out and of good quality.

However as for their sailing capabilities I'll have to beg to differ with the opinion previously expressed. With the full keel and attached rudder they do OK down wind and off the wind. They also offer a comfortable ride. The don't however go to windward with much grace. They have quiet a bit of leeway with that shallow long keel. The weather helm when going to windward was a handful as well. I've sailed at least 300 miles on my friends boat over the years. We friend many sail configurations and rig adjustments. We got it better but never tolerable by my judgement.

I sailed against him often with my Columbia 29. Similar design with a modified full keel and attached rudder. However it went to windward much better and the helm was far more manageable.

If you're looking for a trade wind boat it would be a good one. Just know they make a lot of leeway when going to windward I'd hate to be off a Lee shore on one with no motor.
Old 27-02-2017, 08:28   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Based on PHRF ratings you're going to give up about 30-35sec per mile boat speed moving from the Cat 27 to the Bayf 29.

The Columbia 29 Defender is about 20-25 sed/mil slower than the Cat27.

That said, you seem to be looking for something bigger, stronger and more comfortable.

I hate to say it but the Bayfield will probably not be as strong as the Catalina. Ignoring the clipper bow the Bayfield is 27' on deck, about the same as the Catalina. The if you look at the non-ballast weight of the boat, the Catalina is 4150lb vs 4100 for the Bayfield. The Bayfield is 16" or 15% wider so essentially the same mass of structural material is spread over a larger area so it would be both thinner and weaker assuming similar construction methods. This is not to say the Bayfield is weak, just that it is probably not as strong as the Cat 27 generally. Keep in mind that a Catalina 27 has been around the world so they are not weak to start with.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 11:57   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Was on a Bayfield 29 last year. Felt solid and looked well built but the layout for a our family or couple was not ideal. Quarter berth, and galley at companion way, two single convertible settee/berths mid ship and head in the bow. Storage was a little lacking.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:10   #6

SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Based on PHRF ratings you're going to give up about 30-35sec per mile boat speed moving from the Cat 27 to the Bayf 29.

That said, you seem to be looking for something bigger, stronger and more comfortable.

I hate to say it but the Bayfield will probably not be as strong as the Catalina. Ignoring the clipper bow the Bayfield is 27' on deck, about the same as the Catalina. The if you look at the non-ballast weight of the boat, the Catalina is 4150lb vs 4100 for the Bayfield. The Bayfield is 16" or 15% wider so essentially the same mass of structural material is spread over a larger area so it would be both thinner and weaker assuming similar construction methods. This is not to say the Bayfield is weak, just that it is probably not as strong as the Cat 27 generally. Keep in mind that a Catalina 27 has been around the world so they are not weak to start with.
I agree the Bayfield had a very similar waterline length as my Columbia. Most of the 32 ft is bowsprit and overhangs. That being said it was much wider with more room below, and a more comfortable cockpit.
Quote:

I agree the Bayfield had a very similar waterline length as my Columbia. Most of the 32 ft is bowsprit and overhangs, Tha MNt being said it was much wider with more room below, and a more comfortable cockpit.
Quote:

I agree the Bayfield had a very similar waterline length as my Columbia. Most of the 32 ft is bowsprit and overhangs, That being said it was much wider with more room below, and a more comfortable cockpit. I wasn't recommending the Columbia 29 as a swift sailor just sailed better on the wind than the Bayfield. I'd say the phrf numbers are reasonable for both boats. The Ericson 32 is a great boat with far better sailing capabilities and a good build quality too.
Old 27-02-2017, 20:48   #7

I want a blue water boat 35' or so that handles rough water better than My Catalina did. Now I see the push to Leeward. Maybe I should look at a Catalina 34.
Old 28-02-2017, 06:04   #8

I really like the older Catalina 38 that was a Sparkman Stephens design. Older and more IOR looks but reliable boats and at affordable prices these days.
Old 28-02-2017, 06:04   #9

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2274
Old 28-02-2017, 07:27   #10
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgraham View Post
I sold my Catalina, now looking for a bigger blue water cruiser to single hand. Does anyone know about Bayfield 29 or 32?
Thanks
We own a Bayfield 32 (1976) which we bought in 2009.

There are several 32s and 32C's (later model with longer bowsprit platform) in our boatyard (Iroquois, Ontario). Also there are at least 2 Bayfield 36's. We have seen a Bayfield 40.
The Bayfield 29 is similar to the 32 except the mast goes between the forward V-berth.

We have spoken to the owners of these and we all agree that these boats are all very well built and, as long as they have been well-maintained, are a good buy. They are all old; late 1970's to late 1980's, so prior maintenance is key.

That being said, we bought a neglected boat from the US (but with newish engine and sails) and have spent nearly a decade bringing her back to good condition - but it doesn't sound like you want to do that...you'd probably have to put in some work to make it easier to single hand though.

IMO, they are designed as coastal cruisers. The key is the draft (32 is around 3' 10") which makes it great for gunk holing (relatively!) We find the boat good for two people on a month's cruise around the Great Lakes, but, as mentioned above, storage is a bit limited. Smallish tanks etc.

They sail well enough, with the cutter rig you do have many sail configurations easily available without sail changes (we have our foresails on furlers).

If you want a classic blue-water boat of that vintage or age, I'd consider the Westsail 32.

You might also consider any Canadian boat, as the US dollar is 30% higher than it was in 2009 :-)

It really depends on where you want to go and your budget, of time, youth and money :-)

If you're ever around these parts, you're welcome to join us for a sail!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 07:53   #11

The Bayfield 25,29,32 were primarily designed as coastal cruisers. The 36 and 40 are Bay fields that could be taken offshore, nice boats actually if you like the full keel type, 36 and 40 are also quite handsome to most sailors eyes.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:04   #12

I compared the 29 and 32 extensively many years ago as I wanted to buy one new. The 32 felt like a lot more boat to me and the 29 seemed small. If you are looking for more room, that would be a consideration.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:28   #13

I really like the look of Bayfield. More important I like the reports that it is stable in rough water and heavy weather.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:32   #14

Also look at the Gozzard boats, very much the same. Both by Ted Gozzard. My guess is a Cape Dory or Alberg will likely outsail them to weather.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 10:26   #15
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Also look at the Gozzard boats, very much the same. Both by Ted Gozzard. My guess is a Cape Dory or Alberg will likely outsail them to weather.
Again it's a matter of the time/condition/youth/money calculation. I'd absolutely love a Gozzard 36 - we had friends who had one - but I'd also like an Island Packet or something else expensive They are premium boats.

Alberg 37 is a really good suggestion though. Check out the accommodations (smaller than it looks) but they sail well.

Many of the older stoutly-built boats could do what the OP wants (blue water, single handed) and there is no completely right answer. How much money does he have, how much skill in repairs/sailing, where does he want to go?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote