Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 09:05   #1

Beautiful boats? (30-35 foot)

Recently I ran across the baba 30, and it's a really good looking boat compared to a lot of the others I typically see.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of other interesting / beautiful boats around this size?
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Beautiful boats? (30-35 foot)

If you like the Baba 30, you might also like:

Hans Christian
Pacific Seacraft
Tayana
and many more.

I encourage you to spend some time looking over this site, where you can learn about similar (older or traditional styled) boats:

Water boats">Blue Water Boats (dot ) org

https://bluewaterboats.org
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:21   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
If you like the Baba 30, you might also like:

Hans Christian
Pacific Seacraft
Tayana
and many more.

I encourage you to spend some time looking over this site, where you can learn about similar (older or traditional styled) boats:

Blue Water Boats (dot ) org

https://bluewaterboats.org
Steadman! Long time no see, how have you been? I figured you were out enjoying the beach on some distant island!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
Recently I ran across the baba 30, and it's a really good looking boat compared to a lot of the others I typically see.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of other interesting / beautiful boats around this size?
Maybe if you let us know more about your preferences we could help direct you better. I am quite partial to my own 28.5' boat but it may not be for everyone. The Baba 30 has a very good rep. There's quite a range of displacement and designs in the 30-35 footers.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-04-2021, 09:28   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Steadman! Long time no see, how have you been? I figured you were out enjoying the beach on some distant island!
Hi Don!
I am alive and well, and thank you for your warm welcome words!

I am having fun, busy as a bee (focused on my art stuff), and actively learning more and more about all kinds of things (solar, lithium batteries, engines, etc.). I have been away from CF for a couple of years, just logged back on yesterday, and am trying to catch up on a few things now.

I hope to help others when possible, will share what I can when I can, but my time may be more limited than in the past.

I am glad to see some familiar names on the forum, including yours, and glad the Moderator Team is still keeping this ship on a good course.

With sincere warm regards to you and all the friendly sailors here on CF!

I remain,
S.
Old 25-04-2021, 09:31   #6

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Two that have caught my eye over the years...Ericson Independence 31C and either the Victoria 30/Leigh 30 (same boat different builders)
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Two that have caught my eye over the years...Ericson Independence 31C and either the Victoria 30/Leigh 30 (same boat different builders)
The Ericson Independence is a wonderful looking boat. Always wanted one! But I got into bigger boats. That stern shape! and the rounded forward cabin too.
Attached Images

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ivory,

Here is another thread I started some time ago, it has many “beautiful” or outstanding boats in it.

These may not be available for sale now, but you can get some ideas and see photos of interiors and see comments from many CF members who added to the discussion.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nd-175264.html

Also, in the first (opening post) in that linked thread, you will see some links to other discussion threads that feature many boats of certain types (such as Shallow Draft, etc.). You may find those threads interesting and informative as many boats are discussed and illustrated with photos too.

Have fun on CF and welcome aboard this sailing forum, I think it is the best.
Old 25-04-2021, 10:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Maybe if you let us know more about your preferences we could help direct you better. I am quite partial to my own 28.5' boat but it may not be for everyone. The Baba 30 has a very good rep. There's quite a range of displacement and designs in the 30-35 footers.
I think it's all the teak inside giving it a wooden boat feeling, even though it is fiberglass hull.

But the special feature that really does it for me is this curved bit in the cabin

And the extra carving details on the side.

I hear the canoe stern isn't ideal though? More cramped and causes things to be a lot more wet than modern designs?

Quote:
Here is another thread I started some time ago, it has many “beautiful” or outstanding boats in it.

These may not be available for sale now, but you can get some ideas and see photos of interiors and see comments from many CF members who added to the discussion.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nd-175264.html
Thanks for the extra links, interesting reading
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 11:20   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'd be remiss if I didn't toss in my own boat: Rafiki-37. It's a tish bigger than your size bracket, but we're often mistaken for the better known Baba, Hans Christian or Tayana.

Interior is all teak, arched internals. Beautiful (to my eye).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rafiki.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	237260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7064.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	237261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7128.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	237262  
Old 25-04-2021, 11:57   #11

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Have you seen this..........???

Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 11:59   #12

I think if this is the style you love, I wouldn't worry about a canoe stern or double ender vs. a transom. Yes the transom offers more space aft, but go with the boat that sparks your fancy. There are some boats built with an eye to the traditional that have more modern hulls under the water line and perform really well too. The Valiant 40 being a prime example. The Bluewaterboats link is a great place to browse to get you started.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-04-2021, 13:57   #13

Quote:
I think it's all the teak inside giving it a wooden boat feeling, even though it is fiberglass hull.

But the special feature that really does it for me is this curved bit in the cabin

I hear the canoe stern isn't ideal though? More cramped and causes things to be a lot more wet than modern designs?

That curved bit in the cabin (gorgeous, isn't it?) is called a bulkhead, which essentially supports and reinforces the sides and the cabintop of a hull, making it really sturdy in heavy seas. So it's a case of beautiful form + function, eh?

A canoe stern is a solid round-the-world feature as it assists in deflecting/diminishing severe stern-on seas (can be wet for a helmsman, but keeps the boat safe, so...) it's one of those good "bluewater" features to have, if bluewater is a long-term goal.

Baba 30s are gorgeous classic boats and if they are to your liking, they are very seaworthy (although heavy).

Fair winds!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 15:06   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike, that is the first I have seen of your boat (aside from a tiny thumb I recall), thanks for posting the photos, and I like what I see.
Nice interior, and looks like a real cruiser!
Regards!
S.
Old 25-04-2021, 15:41   #15

Quote:

Yeah, very nice inside. I think Ta Shing still built those. They later moved on to only building megayachts. A friend of mine had a Baba 30 and lived aboard. It sailed well in a stiff breeze. The boat seemed more "stubby and fat" than the pics when actually at it, but still very nice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat