Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 20:06   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Buying from a friend...

If you're buying from a friend can you get them to take some of the risk?

That is, do all your checks and then do something like buying the boat on time payment, say $500 down, then the rest a month later when you've had a chance to use the boat a bit.

Just in case you really hate it make it so you can give the boat back, but loose your first payment.

Might even be able to take over their insurance.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 20:30   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Before I Buy, What Should I Know ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippysyd View Post
It has an aftermarket inboard. It ran well when we had it out, but so far that's all I know about that. It's near the top of my list of things to talk about when we do get serious about this. For now I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.
You're getting a C-27 with an inboard for the price of a C-27 with an outboard? If you're smart, you'll buy it before one of us finds out where it's located.
Old 30-10-2011, 13:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3

Agree 100%! However, nowadays if you want insurance for your boat the insurance company will require a survey. If you want a slip in a marina the marina will require proof of insurance.

Fabbian
I actually just bought a C27 here in CA with a friend. BoatUS insured it with a series of pix showing no visible damage. They're mostly concerned with safety on board. Though it depends on the underwriter you speak to. The first one wanted a survey but, at 1500 purchase price that seemed ridiculous. Second underwriter agreed and insured the boat without the survey.
emgersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 13:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
It's like sailing transatlantic on a stock Hunter. It depends on your appetite for risk. Suppose the surveyor finds major structural issues. Even at 20% of the purchase price, the surveyor just saved the buyer $2,000 plus lots of aggravation and possibly a friendship. If there were not some problems with this boat, it wouldn't be on the market for $2,500.

The original poster describes himself as knowing absolutely nothing about sailing. If he were an experienced boat sailboat owner I might have a different view.
The market for small boats has been decimated. They are available for a song even in great condition. Half the slips in our marina are empty. There used to be a waiting list. Hell, the outboard on our boat is practically worth the purchase price, not to mention the auto tiller, marine GPS, radio etc. two sets of sails.

We did have the boat bottom cleaned and inspected to make sure paint was good. That was cheap though.
emgersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45   #35

Boat: in between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You're getting a C-27 with an inboard for the price of a C-27 with an outboard? If you're smart, you'll buy it before one of us finds out where it's located.
I agree, if this boat has been out as recently as you say, I would buy it sight unseen. Plenty of C-27 parts, used sails everywhere for cheap can be cut for that boat for very little. You should be able to get liablilty ins for nearly nothing without a survey.
But beware, sailing will seduce you and hubby. Like your friend, in the not so distant future you will be looking at acquiring a bigger sailboat. One that can go 'offshore'. Quitting cigaretts is just the first of many sacrifices to finance sailing off into the sunset forever one day dream that will engulf you. The more time you spend on your sailboat the less society, as you perceive it, will be able to offer you. You will be shopping second hand stores, soon you won't be able to pass a marina dumpster without peeking in, then it will be most dumpsters. New cars will become meaningless, you stop eating out, the cruising kitty becomes a tiger. Then one day you and hubby are gone, and friends and family will be left on terr firma saying, I didn't think they would, I wonder where they are, damn, wish I were them.....
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 18:41   #36

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
I agree, if this boat has been out as recently as you say, I would buy it sight unseen.
Sure, like the guy who bought the pig in a poke. Just keep your fingers crossed and everything will work out fine.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 15:38   #37

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27

ROFL, larryb!

I cannot even put into words how excited hubby and I are. It's so unfair- we get to sail once, get this awesome offer at the END of the season! Now we get tortured until spring. (lol) We did get to go see the boat again last weekend, post haul-out. I had done a lot of reading as to what to look for so I was really checking it out. (Still don't really know what I'm looking at, heh.) Still so very much to learn...AND I forgot to take some cabin measurements for some projects to work on over the winter. Duh. I did confirm that it indeed has an Atomic4. No real idea on condition- that'll be huby's department- but it sounded great when we were out. I know the sails are only a couple of years old, and the lines are all new as well. I didn't find any soft spots on the deck anywhere and all the hardware looked good. Best I can do until I can get someone better to look at it.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:07   #38

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Sailing is inherently dangerous
Huh? I must be doing it wrong.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:33   #39

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Sailing IS inherently dangerous -- just not as bad as driving a car or drinking high-fructose corn syrup. For a small, inexpensive, inland boat, many home insurers will be glad to give you both liability and property coverage. One very good thing Lippy and her hubby can do is sign up for a basic boating safety class -- free in many states. And there may be offerings from the CG Auxiliary, Power Squadrons, or other groups that are available over the winter and inexpensive. Plenty of good books and videos are out there. The Catalina 27 is a well-regarded classic, I think of it as a "little big boat". Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2011, 22:13   #40

Boat: in between boats

My wife and I cruised the west coast of Mex in a Tartan 30 with an atomic 4. We had no problems except for a stuck thermostat. Where the overheating occurred was Isla Cedros. No available engine parts. Removed thermostat, cruised eight more months and bashed up the Baja with same atomic 4 without thermostat. In retrospect, I would replace thermostat at first convienience. Engines have an operating temperature, if always running cool, can cause problems down the line. But never had any trouble finding gas, in fact, filling our tanks with gas was easier and cheaper than diesel. Still I prefer diesel, next boat will have diesel. Don't even let the nay sayers temper your enthusiasm because it is a gas engine. Blowers are inexpensive and easy to replace. Never once found ourselves in a situation where we didn't have a few minutes to run the blower. Many boats exist safely with gas engines. Keep us posted. Sail it like you stole it, you basically have....lol
Larry
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 22:30   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

isnot sailing that is inherently dangerous, or we would not have had an uncle who taught us to sail on his historic treasure as children..LOL--but the activities associated with ignorance and stupidity that are dangerous.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29   #42

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome to the forum of many opinions.
My opinion is that the price is very good and Catalina 27s are one of the very few mentioned in the book recommendation after my signature. I'd buy it.
A new survey might be required by your marina. Check that out. You are new to sailing and boating so a survey is a good investment. Even us old timers get stung on boat deals because we didn't use a good surveyor.
Congratulations on finding a great boat at a good price. Perfect for a couple or small family to learn on.
kind regards,
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30   #43

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Get a professional survey.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32   #44

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Oh, I meant to say your marina will require insurance and your insurance company may require a new survey. Check that out.
kind regards,
Old 07-11-2011, 19:11   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My first "yacht" type boat was a Cat 27. Sailed it till the sails would'nt hold air. Then took it completely appart with renovation in mind, cost too much so I parted it out. The keel itself was 2500 in lead. And what I learned on her was priceless.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote