Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2022, 08:40   #1

Behavior of race boat on a mooring

I am seriously considering the purchase of a former 44’ racer with a draft of 9.5 for my day sailing use in PR and the USVI. I am getting conflicting information. Will this this type of boat generally misbehave while attached to its mooring? In another words, am I going to have a problem with a lighter racing hull and a long bulb keel in terms of it dancing around in a way that it is going to get fouled up on the mooring ball frequently? Maintaining a dock space is not in the cards so this is an important question.

I do not want to find out the expense of shorting the keel and reducing the size of the rig and sails so I intend to leave the boat specs as is.

Any thoughts or experience with this you can share?
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 20:15   #2

Re: Behavior of race boat on a mooring

Anyone out there?
Old 21-10-2022, 23:28   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I don't think you will have a big problem. Depends on whether there is wind against tide where it is moored.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 18:59   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

We had issues with our J/36 yawing about at anchor or tied to a bow mooring. Dragging some buckets in the water off the stern slowed the activity considerably. Others often put up a riding sail- a small triangle of cloth perhaps the size of a storm trysail - hoisted from the stern and sheeted off tightly amidships to keep the boat pointed into the wind. Every boat is different. Your 44'er might not have this problem. As Donna suggests, there are lots of variables.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 20:23   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrunnermike View Post
I am seriously considering the purchase of a former 44’ racer with a draft of 9.5 for my day sailing use in PR and the USVI. I am getting conflicting information. Will this this type of boat generally misbehave while attached to its mooring? In another words, am I going to have a problem with a lighter racing hull and a long bulb keel in terms of it dancing around in a way that it is going to get fouled up on the mooring ball frequently? Maintaining a dock space is not in the cards so this is an important question.

I do not want to find out the expense of shorting the keel and reducing the size of the rig and sails so I intend to leave the boat specs as is.

Any thoughts or experience with this you can share?
The keel depth should not affect how the boat sits on a mooring. The deep draft keel will resist leeway slightly better, not tremendously. Look elsewhere for the issue. Mostly, I think, it is that the hull exposed to the wind catches more than the hull (and keel) immersed in the water.

I don't know if the boat will actually move around so much that it is a problem. My race boat with an 8" keel doesn't move much more than nearby full keel cruising boats. Faster maybe, but not further. We have not ever had a problem getting tangled in the mooring or with other boats.

Are you sure you are not getting negative comments from someone who actually hopes you don't buy a boat which makes his boat look slow or bad? It happens.
Old 23-10-2022, 06:46   #6

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

No, it'll be fine. Almost every boat in Bermuda is on a swing mooring. Racers, cruisers, monos, cats, motorboats, floating docks, you name it. They all do fine once you get a bridle setup that works. Yes some swing more than others but it's no big deal.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 07:46   #7

I'll bet the OP has been listening to "that guy" who is always at the yacht club bar with an opinion about everything. He knows everything, just ask him.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 09:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The keel depth should not affect how the boat sits on a mooring. The deep draft keel will resist leeway slightly better, not tremendously. Look elsewhere for the issue. Mostly, I think, it is that the hull exposed to the wind catches more than the hull (and keel) immersed in the water.

I don't know if the boat will actually move around so much that it is a problem. My race boat with an 8" keel doesn't move much more than nearby full keel cruising boats. Faster maybe, but not further. We have not ever had a problem getting tangled in the mooring or with other boats.

Are you sure you are not getting negative comments from someone who actually hopes you don't buy a boat which makes his boat look slow or bad? It happens.
Thank you. You are very close. I am getting the comment primarily from someone who is anticipating that they may have to deal with issues with the boat while on the mooring in the event I am not nearby.
Old 23-10-2022, 09:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
I'll bet the OP has been listening to "that guy" who is always at the yacht club bar with an opinion about everything. He knows everything, just ask him.
Funny!
We certainly have a few of those guys, but that is not the source.
Old 23-10-2022, 10:35   #10

While on the mooring it'll probably tack to close to the cruisers.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:59   #11

Boat: J Boats J/46

Our 46' Cruiser/Racer did just fine on mooring balls in those areas (we don't have a T bulb but it wouldn't matter) but do consider that your boat may move differently than others in the field. Use caution in a tight field, especially when the wind dies.

Wouldn't let this stop you from buying the boat! Good luck!

FWIW We have moored in a few situations with extreme current or wind shifts that have caused issues with mooring balls scratching the topsides, but never an issue with the keel.
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 13:31   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I agree with Fred that the keel won't make a big difference in the way she lies to a mooring. In my experience with boats with shallow forefeet is that freeboard and windage forward are the biggest factors. If you plan to have one or more roller furled headsails there will me considerably more "sailing" about than if the stays are naked. The same goes for stored dinghies or kayaks on the foredeck, and so on.

Jim
Old 23-10-2022, 15:09   #13

Boat: Flamingo 42

I remember in Gustavia in St-Batrh in the 90's that a boat anchored next to us did not behave the same way as the us and other boat in the anchorage and we had to fend him off often. Someone said that was because he was a "racing boat and he sailed the courant"! true or not ???
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 15:30   #14

Boat: Sabre 28

There was another thread about boats sailing while at anchor. As Jim said it was more about windage forward of the mast than anything. I know with my boat when I had our kayak forward of the mast she tended to sail past the anchor.

Tags
boat, mooring, race