Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 06:09   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Beneteau, 36 foot plus for Blue Water cruising,

Hope to get some honest answears off this great form ,Who would feel comfortable taking a standard Beneteau with minimal modifications around the world ,minimal modifications does not mean structural modifications obviously talking 38ft -- 42ft .Love the feedback please.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 06:48   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Hope to get some honest answears off this great form ,Who would feel comfortable taking a standard Beneteau with minimal modifications around the world ,minimal modifications does not mean structural modifications obviously talking 38ft -- 42ft .Love the feedback please.
It has been done. Liza and Ian Copeland did a 6 year circumnavigation on a 38 foot Beneteau. It had some modifications. Liza has written a series of books Just Cruising, Still Cruising, Cruising for Cowards. Ian was a Beneteau dealer and the boat was built for them in France.

Some Beneteau series are better suited to offshore. The First's lean toward the racing category.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 06:59   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We have taken our Beneteau first 456 around the world, and would feel comfortable doing it again. I did add a collision bulkhead in the bow, but that was partly to support a rack for the outboards. The First series were designed for the heavier loads of racing, and are probably a better boat than the Oceanus series, but both are capable of making it around the world in the low and mid-latitudes. The Cyclades models are pretty lightly built and could have some structural problems.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:58   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We are doing it with a 393.

If I die I will post it here first.

Don't listen to nay-sayers who think they are made from paper machet. I would much prefer to be on a newish 361 than some of the old piles of junk we are anchored next to who are just about to cross the atlantic.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 09:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We are doing it with a 393.

Which version of the 393? The double aft cabin version with the linear galley would concern me. The single aft with the U-shaped galley is safer for cooking.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:42   #6

I think Beneteau builds great boats for the money. I am particularly impressed with the design/engineering, and I have to believe that they have good quality control on the construction.

I own an Idylle 11.5 and it's a great boat. I think it would be a very good blue water boat, but my preference would be something bigger and heavier for a curcumnav.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:47   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Which version of the 393? The double aft cabin version with the linear galley would concern me. The single aft with the U-shaped galley is safer for cooking.

Jack
Yes, we looked at those at one time and the wife wouldn't have any part of the linear galley. She envisioned flying across the salon or wherver.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 14:11   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
The single aft with the U-shaped galley is safer for cooking
Quote:
Jack

Safer???????????? I'm always on the lookout for a taste tester for Nicolles cooking! If they keel over dead I push the plate away!

Yes ours is the 2 cabin version. The storage space is trully awsome. The propper galley is terrific too. That linear galley on the 3 cabin version must be, as you say, difficult in a seaway.

Mark

Old 30-04-2008, 14:44   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Safer???????????? I'm always on the lookout for a taste tester for Nicolles cooking! If they keel over dead I push the plate away!

Yes ours is the 2 cabin version. The storage space is trully awsome. The propper galley is terrific too. That linear galley on the 3 cabin version must be, as you say, difficult in a seaway.

Mark

Cool! You got the good one!

They do feel enormous inside, don't they? I was amazed when we looked at one while narrowing down the field.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 14:52   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
They do feel enormous inside, don't they? .
Huge! I bought a case of beer and stowed it somewhere.... but it took a six-pack to find it again!

Old 30-04-2008, 15:24   #11

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I have the 361/362 and love the single aft cabin.... loads of good storage space in the port Lazerate and the U shaped galley helps out when attempting to do anything underway or in a rolly anchorage.

To be honest I have not done what I would call true Blue Water Cruising... more of the light blue varity between the PR and the Spanish, US and British Virgin Islands. Will be making the hop to the Leewards next year and who knows from that point but most likely not out of my little Carib pond. I've no interest in long term Blue Water runs... I like sleeping at night too much to do something that resembles "work" in a long crossing of multi days... one is enough for me!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:25   #12
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Quote:
It has been done. Liza and Ian Copeland did a 6 year circumnavigation on a 38 foot Beneteau. It had some modifications. Liza has written a series of books Just Cruising, Still Cruising, Cruising for Cowards. Ian was a Beneteau dealer and the boat was built for them in France.

Some Beneteau series are better suited to offshore. The First's lean toward the racing category.

Jack

Yes I have read the book about Liza and Ian Copelands adventure what a great story .Ian is a very experienced sailor with a love of racing ...The boat hade substantial factory modifications .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:59   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
The Copeland's, Liza, Andy, and the three kids Duncan,Colin, and Jamie were the main reason we started thinking of cruising in the first place.. Looked for a FIRST 38 for for about 5 years and couldnt find one.. we ended up with a FIRST 42.. pretty much the same boat as the 38 was really 40 feet in length.. the 38 went through a couple minor changes and became the FIRST 405..
The wife and I had the chance to set and chat with Liza a couple weeks ago at the Oakland Boat Show. I made the remark about looking around the table in hopes to see Jamie as in all her books, Jamie is her little pride and joy.
She informed us that "Jamie" has grown up and is a licenced pilot and is engaged to be married soon.
They still have the First 38 and sail it often.......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 16:53   #14

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Beneteau, 36 foot plus for Blue Water cruising,

IM looking at a 2001 362,love the inside lay out but like to sail hard if the weather calls for it;so am a little concerned with the shallow draft of the 362,any one out there had to sail to wind-ward in 30kts. in one of these!(lee-way;pounding)I know(frew experience)that all Oceinis pound to wind-ward,bluddy annoying but one just has to steer a bit eased to stop it.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 17:28   #15

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Beneteau, 36 foot plus for Blue Water cruising,

Half an answer may be better than none...
I just sailed a shoal draft 2005 Hunter 36 1500 miles from the Chesapeake Bay to the BVIs, through days of. 30-40 kt winds and 10 days of mixed seas with 25'-30' rollers at 8 second intervals. She handled well. Granted, this was mostly on a run or broad reach.
KStepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau