Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 19:54   #496

Boat: O38 & J24
Re: Beneteau 38

Thanks Homerobarros.
I'm having my canvas maker fabricate an inexpensive cover for the wires...will post photos when he completes it.
FdM
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:07   #497

Failure...

Matt, Did you ever find out where that mystery fuse was located...the one that caused the false alarms, etc? Yesterday we sailed the boat up to get its 50 hour service and when we arrived at the boat dock to take her out we heard an alarm sounding. When we unlocked to boat and went below the alarm was indeed ringing on the saloon electric panel and the screen showed an exclamation point within a triangle flashing. Interestingly, the batteries seemed to be charged so we don’t know what the alarm was for (both water tanks were pretty empty and we plan on filling them when we get the boat back from service). We turned the navigation instruments switch on at the saloon panel and then everything went blank….the instruments, the VHS radio, even the electric panel screen all ceased to work. I went to the house breakers and turned them all off and back on to no effect. I then went to the motor ignition on the deck and was able to turn the motor on without any problem. Once the motor started, the panel and all instruments turned on, but several of the navigation functions did not operate for the rest of the day – we were able to read SOG and compass heading, but anything related to wind did not work. We easily sailed the boat to the dealership, for the service and mentioned all the above, but was thinking that I should tell them about your experience and solution just in case it is related to some of the failures we experienced. Please advise. FdM

Old 20-04-2015, 10:48   #498

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Hi FdM,

It's the 3A fuse in the engine instrument panel (the helm panel). It's listed on page 97 of the 2009 Yanmar manual for the B-type keyless engine instrument panel.

It fixed the alarm. I'm not sure I understand the low voltage indications we were getting in the saloon electrical panel though. In any case, everything is working now with its replacement, and it was certainly blown.

It's not the same problem you had, as it was in the engine instrument panel not the electrical panel. There are circuit breakers in that panel however, so one or more of them may have tripped?

These boats use very standard, very stock electrical systems that are fortunately pretty easily troubleshot.

By the way, I also have the problem of the Autohelm having trouble whenever the VHF is turned on with AIS reporting enabled. the VHF floods the NMEA2000 bus with AIS reports immediately, and causes the Autohelm to lose data coming from instruments.

It's a flaw in the SIMRAD VHF; it should be parcelling out AIS data slowly rather than just dumping everything it has on the bus suddenly. I like the AIS reporting so I leave it enabled, just be sure to turn your VHF on early and before you have your autopilot engaged.

Matt
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:14   #499

Boat: Oceanis 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

2. Autopilot. I have a chart plotter only on the port side, is there supposed to be a control module on starboard side? It seems that have only tri-data on starboard side.

3. Dividing curtain in the cabin at the forward bulkhead: I would probably remove the bulkhead, for open space below, but it seems that having a curtain would be a good compromise for some privacy when needed. Does anybody have any experiences/opinions on this setup?
i
Hi Max,

Congrats on the new boat! Couple comments regarding #2 and #3:

2. Our 35 came with the B&G Triton Pilot keypad on the port side. I absolutely love having it (it is much quicker to use than the Zeus2 for heading changes etc). I am going to install a second one on the starboard side (along with a second Zeus2). I think it's a worthwhile upgrade to have the keypad on both sides. It appears that some 35s/38s were delivered without any Triton Pilot keypads and some had one on port side. Never seen one on the starboard side from the factory.

3. We ordered ours with the factory diving curtain. It is very high quality and probably worth the money. I can't remember how much the option was. It was not listed on the options sheet but the dealer was able to order it anyway. Very happy with it (although we haven't used it yet). It also color coordinates well with the interior if that's important to you.
Finnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:20   #500

Our boat did not come with the Triton autopilot keypad. I don't mind using the Zeus, and I haven't seen the need to have one on the starboard side.

When we outfit for cruising, I will be putting one down at the nav station along with the display for a mast-mounted camera so we can pilot from inside the boat during inclement weather or rough seas.

Matt
Old 20-04-2015, 12:33   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
Our boat did not come with the Triton autopilot keypad. I don't mind using the Zeus, and I haven't seen the need to have one on the starboard side.

When we outfit for cruising, I will be putting one down at the nav station along with the display for a mast-mounted camera so we can pilot from inside the boat during inclement weather or rough seas.

Matt
B&G is also releasing a bluetooth wireless remote in a month or so. The model number is WR10 (more info is already at bandg.com, including installation instructions). Looks like they'll be around $349 with the bluetooth "base station." This may be a great option for use anywhere on the boat. They claim a range of "up to" to 30 m.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bandg_WR10.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	100693
Old 20-04-2015, 15:12   #502

Looks like a much simpler integration than cutting holes and running cables. I'll wait for that.

Finn, you mentioned that your boat came with the Zeus2. Is that correct? Mine (hull #3) Came with the Zeus (1), which does not support multi-touch zooming amongst other things.
Old 20-04-2015, 22:33   #503

Quote:
Looks like a much simpler integration than cutting holes and running cables. I'll wait for that.

Finn, you mentioned that your boat came with the Zeus2. Is that correct? Mine (hull #3) Came with the Zeus (1), which does not support multi-touch zooming amongst other things.
Yes, mine came with the Zeus2 (7 inch). I think they switched to Zeus2 in the last quarter of 2014. Other than the multi-touch zooming and a faster processor, I'm not sure how much they are really different.

B&G just introduced a new 7" multi-touch display called the Vulcan that will be quite affordable ($799 list price), but it doesn't have a network port so it won't show Radar info (unless they enable radar display via WIFI at some point). The Vulcan has built-in WIFI. It might make a nice starboard side display if anyone plans to add one. I had already ordered the second Zeus2 before I learned about the Vulcan.
Old 20-04-2015, 23:12   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnsail View Post
Yes, mine came with the Zeus2 (7 inch). I think they switched to Zeus2 in the last quarter of 2014. Other than the multi-touch zooming and a faster processor, I'm not sure how much they are really different.

B&G just introduced a new 7" multi-touch display called the Vulcan that will be quite affordable ($799 list price), but it doesn't have a network port so it won't show Radar info (unless they enable radar display via WIFI at some point). The Vulcan has built-in WIFI. It might make a nice starboard side display if anyone plans to add one. I had already ordered the second Zeus2 before I learned about the Vulcan.
How about the remote in your pocket and an iPad with gofree app ? You can use it anyware and do the same as the Zeus... I am tending toward this configuration. The iPad with Garmin bluechart app is a killer for navigation, plus go free app, and you have everything.
Comments ?
Cheers
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:10   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
How about the remote in your pocket and an iPad with gofree app ? You can use it anyware and do the same as the Zeus... I am tending toward this configuration. The iPad with Garmin bluechart app is a killer for navigation, plus go free app, and you have everything.
Comments ?
Cheers
Hi Homero - I think your plan is good! I was thinking of doing the same. So far, I've only tried the go-free with my iPhone. I think it's better optimized for the iPad. According to rumors, Apple may even release a 12 or 13" iPad at some point. That would be great at the chart table!

Has anyone used Go-Free extensively? Does it work reliably?
Old 21-04-2015, 10:13   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
Comments ?
Cheers
I've been using the GoFree app, but I'm unhappy that it's restricted to view only. You have to remember to leave the right page up before you leave the helm for it to be useful.

I also use the NMEA2000 app (search GoFree apps) on the iPhone to show instruments like a small MFD. When I'm up at the companionway trimming the mainsheet outhaul, I use that app on my phone to make sure I'm not losing speed with the adjustment.
Old 21-04-2015, 10:20   #507

Quote:
I've been using the GoFree app, but I'm unhappy that it's restricted to view only. You have to remember to leave the right page up before you leave the helm for it to be useful.

I also use the NMEA2000 app (search GoFree apps) on the iPhone to show instruments like a small MFD. When I'm up at the companionway trimming the mainsheet outhaul, I use that app on my phone to make sure I'm not losing speed with the adjustment.
Thanks. I need to check the other apps!

I think the "view only" is a restriction of the phone app and does not apply to iPads (except still no autopilot control):

"Using an iPad you can do more than just view the screen. Take control of the Multifunction Display to carry out tasks including entering waypoints, adjusting radar settings and even controlling Sonic hub audio direct from your iPad.

Important to note:
Autopilot control is not enabled from the B&G GoFree Controller app."
Old 21-04-2015, 11:47   #508

Quote:
Hi Homero - I think your plan is good! I was thinking of doing the same. So far, I've only tried the go-free with my iPhone. I think it's better optimized for the iPad. According to rumors, Apple may even release a 12 or 13" iPad at some point. That would be great at the chart table!

Has anyone used Go-Free extensively? Does it work reliably?
Finn, I also thought the BIG iPad, when it comes, will be cheaper than another Zeus. I find the Garmin Bluechart much better than the Navionics. Too bad we cannot use Bluecharter within the Zeus...
Old 21-04-2015, 11:50   #509

Quote:
Thanks. I need to check the other apps!

I think the "view only" is a restriction of the phone app and does not apply to iPads (except still no autopilot control):

"Using an iPad you can do more than just view the screen. Take control of the Multifunction Display to carry out tasks including entering waypoints, adjusting radar settings and even controlling Sonic hub audio direct from your iPad.

Important to note:
Autopilot control is not enabled from the B&G GoFree Controller app."
Matt, Finn is right. on the iPad, we have the same functionality as the Zeus, Except the autopilot, and that is why I suggested the autopilot remote control...
Old 21-04-2015, 12:47   #510

O38 50 hour Hall out...

Boat pulled out for 50 hour service. Will report more when I get the final report & invoice…but the yard noticed something right away…the anodes that I paid my Marina’s diver [who the Marina Mgmt. recommended] $160 to replace just 2 weeks ago were, it appears, never replaced (note severe degradation of propeller cap anode and that one of the two shaft 'collar' anodes has completely fallen off while the remaining one is greatly eaten away). The yard owner told me that this fraud is all too common in the Bay Area. Going forward, we will find a new diver and insist on being present when s/he replaces anodes so that we can ensure the work is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O38 Hall Out.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	100738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail Drive Anode Fraud.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	100739  

Tags