Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 21:21   #556

Boat: Oceanis 35
Re: Beneteau 38

Do you guys have a soft-close mechanism on the nav table lid?

A boattest.com video mentions the soft-closer. Our doesn't have one. Maybe someone who has the soft-close could post a photo of the mechanism (showing where it is installed and what it looks like)?
Finnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 21:53   #557

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnsail View Post
Do you guys have a soft-close mechanism on the nav table lid?

A boattest.com video mentions the soft-closer. Our doesn't have one. Maybe someone who has the soft-close could post a photo of the mechanism (showing where it is installed and what it looks like)?
My boat has it. I'll take a vid tomorrow when we're on it.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 22:00   #558

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Does anybody know the length of anchor chain/rode the boat ships with?

I need the chain length more than the rode length - (one is easier to measure than the other)... I would like to mark the anchor rode every 15 ft or so. I will not mark the chain - but I do need to know the total length of the
chain.

Help from anybody that has a chain counter (or knows the spec) would be greatly appreciated.
Silver Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:42   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Does anybody know the length of anchor chain/rode the boat ships with?

I need the chain length more than the rode length - (one is easier to measure than the other)... I would like to mark the anchor rode every 15 ft or so. I will not mark the chain - but I do need to know the total length of the
chain.

Help from anybody that has a chain counter (or knows the spec) would be greatly appreciated.
It is not specified in the manual, nor is it specified on my order. I think someone will have to measure it.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:49   #560

Boat: O38 & J24

Finnsail, My boat came with the soft close chart table lid.

SS, The dealer put the chain/rode on my boat and asked me for my preferred length of each.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:34   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
It is not specified in the manual, nor is it specified on my order. I think someone will have to measure it.
I did some research and my build sheet (found on Vessel Vanguard) lists Plastimo 57170, as anchor kit.

Further googling translated that into: Brittany 16KG anchor kit (ANC-3A) with 28m of 10mm chain and 40m of 16mm rode.

I measured the rode and it is in deed 132ft (=40m).

If this is correct - that would mean that the chain is 92ft (rounded up). I have to admit that it does not look that long when it is sitting in a pile in the anchor well.

Any opinions if 92ft could be the corect length?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:09   #562

SS, I have to admit I have not measure the chain or rode by your post makes it likely that I will. In my local waters 100 foot of chain + a healthy amount of rode is more than adequate because anchorage depth rarely are > 20 feet. I have the cockpit anchor control unit with the counter, but I will also mark the chain because it is usually my better 1/2 up on the bow with the locker control unit letting it out while I steer the boat into position. How do others mark the chain length? Just curious so please advise.
Old 12-05-2015, 20:35   #563

My plan WAS (highlight intended) to mark the rode at every 30 ft, and just mark the chain half way (with spray paint, and some primer, frequently checked and tuched up), or even leave it unmarked. My assumption was that the chain was shorter (than 90 feet that is claimed in documentation), meaning at least half of the chain would be deployed. That would make it relatively easy to approximately judge the length of deplyed chain.

If the chain is in deed 90+ feet, I will have to figure out some form of marking the links at certain intervals. (e.g. colored inserts for chain links, that are "windlass safe").
Old 12-05-2015, 21:54   #564

I weave some colored yarn into the rode every 7 feet. That way I can just count the marks that go by, match to depth in feet, and have a 7:1 scope which is appropriate for the bottoms here. To weave it in, I just counter twist the rode to open up the threads and weave in some red yard a few turns with a yarn needle, and then let the rode tighten back up. You don't need to knot it or anything. It's not difficult, but a bit tedious.

Something to do on an afternoon at the dock.
Old 22-05-2015, 10:44   #565

I have a question about manual operation of the windlass. (In case of electrical issues). It seems that you need to take the drum off, and attach another part in order to winch up the anchor by hand. Did anybody get this extra part with the boat?
Old 22-05-2015, 11:08   #566

SS, I've only used the electric windlass...but, your post is very important given that raising the anchor by hand can be non-trivial. I checked the manual and it only says that the "The handle serves only to release the chain grab in order to lower the anchor manually should the electric windlass break down. The handle cannot be used to raise the anchor manually." This is a surprise to me and seems to support your point. Given that the windlass is essentially a winch, I will definitely look into this. Also, please let us know what your investigations reveal and if you have to buy additional parts, please advise on part numbers and price. These parts should be a standard part of the windlass option in my view. Thx!

Old 23-05-2015, 13:30   #567

The handle only releases the brake. To raise an anchor without a windlass you'll have to pull up the rode manually. The alternative is to release your anchor to the deep.

I have a friend who had to abandon an anchor during heavy seas in the Channel Islands when his girlfriend got sick and had to go. He inflated his dinghy, shackled it to the rode, and left it. When he went back a week later, it was still there bobbing around. He'd fixed his windlass and retrieved everything.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-05-2015, 14:16   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
To raise an anchor without a windlass you'll have to pull up the rode manually. The alternative is to release your anchor to the deep.
Quick's Manual for windlass model AL1012D, page 15, says otherwise. It clearly mentions parts that will enable a drum equipped windlass to be used to raise an anchor by using windlass as a winch. It also clearly states that these windlasses do come with the part included.
Old 23-05-2015, 14:37   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Quick's Manual for windlass model AL1012D, page 15, says otherwise. It clearly mentions parts that will enable a drum equipped windlass to be used to raise an anchor by using windlass as a winch. It also clearly states that these windlasses do come with the part included.

Teach me to read the manual! Unfortunately, the manual procedure really is a partial disassembly of the windlass to remove the drum and replace it with the cap piece that comes with the non-drum model using bolts and a hex driver. That would be a real hassle to accomplish in any kind of weather, and something you might want to just permanently leave in place if you don't use the drum.

Also, my boat did not come with the required part, but the manual does have a part number listed.

Old 23-05-2015, 15:19   #570

I agree that it would be hard to switch parts in rough weather, but possible, and at least there is an option. I would probably try switching drum with the cover first, before I start hauling the anchor by hand, or abandoning it.

Leaving it on all the time instead of the drum, is an option as well, although it defeats the purpose of having the drum on the windlass to begin with.

All that said, I would rather have this additional cover, than not.

It seems that Beneteau simply did not ship the boats with this part - although they are supplied by Quick as part of the "D" windlass package (per manual, and manuals may not reflect reality). I placed in inquiry to my dealer about this item.

Tags
beneteau