Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2010, 11:24   #1

Boat: Cal 39 Mk.3
Beneteau 456 for Caribbean

Hi All,

Any thoughts , comments or recommendations on the Beneteau456 mid 80's vintage would be appreciated. Use would be live on for 6 months each year in Caribbean no plans for further adventure. Would be my my wife and self with visiting guests on ocassion. We currently own a 32 foot sailboat and have been sailing for some 15 years off east coast Canada.

Is this 456 too big for us to handle easily?? What about the 7ft. draft? Is this a problem for Caribbean ( other than Bahamas )?

Are there any issues with design?
What are sailing charactistics?

Any info or comments welcome.

thanks much
Greg
ggromack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 11:49   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
If you're reasonably fit, it would be no problem at all for two to handle a boat that size after a bit of practice. I know guys who single-hand 50-footers. If you plan on using marinas often, that's where the difficulties in maneuvering in cross winds can crop up, but experience is a great teacher, and you can master it. Anchoring out is a piece of cake.

There are very few places in the eastern Caribbean where a 7' draft would be an issue.
Old 24-03-2010, 14:49   #3

I would think this boat will be pretty easy for a couple to handle but as Hud mentioned the docking can be a bit more challenging. Good news though, if you are cruising you get to pick the days you want to bring the boat to dock. I would vote days that are calm with little wind.

Parking our boat in 35 knots or so is ummm, interesting.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 17:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The 456 is very well mannered and you should have no difficulty provided you know what you're doing to begin with. If you can handle the boat you already have well, the First will be easy-peasy. And she sails like a bat out'a heck in any wind. ANd she is a lovely yacht to behold, eh Hud?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 05:11   #5

Boat: Beneteau 456
Excellent choice!!! I own one...

Well I am biased since I own one and I live in the caribbean. Very powerful fast boat. Goes upwind like a train. No pounding ever. Mine has deep draft of 8 ft. which is great for going upwind which is what I mostly do when sailing from Puerto Rico to the /bvi's or the SVI's. Look for Titere 456 in You-Tube. If you need more info e-mail me...
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 06:03   #6

Boat: Beneteau 473
My wife and I have a Beneteau 473 for the two of us. It is a great boat. We have no problems sailing the boat. As has been stated, docking in heavy cross winds can be challenging but with practice you can master it. We may consider a bow thruster at some point.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 06:29   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We've lived on our 456 for 15 years, and taken her around the world with no problems. You will find docking easier than most boats: due to the huge rudder the boat backs where you tell it to and turns on a dime.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, Caribbean