Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 00:19   #61

Re: Beneteau 46 - for circumnavigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes you are. In a most uneducated way.

Maybe you should go buy a boat yourself.

I've got a perfectly good yacht already. Are you specially a fan boy of Beneteau?
I'm knocking BIG windows. Beneteau are good boats with big windows. We just read about somebody whose Beneteau window popped out and apparently that's something that just "happens". Why do you criticise people because they don't agree with you. Be at liberty to criticise what I say and explain why big windows are good. You could explain that in an educated way perhaps.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:09   #62

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
I've got a perfectly good yacht already. Are you specially a fan boy of Beneteau?
I'm knocking BIG windows. Beneteau are good boats with big windows. We just read about somebody whose Beneteau window popped out and apparently that's something that just "happens". Why do you criticise people because they don't agree with you. Be at liberty to criticise what I say and explain why big windows are good. You could explain that in an educated way perhaps.
Why the discussion about the windows at all? I've cut a set of marine plywood spare that exactly fit over our windows (Jeanneau) and pre-drilled the holes etc. If a window gets punched in we can screw a playwood plate over it. MIght not be 100% watertight (I have mounted foam tape) but they will be tight enough to stop any major water ingression.
This is just common sense ifyou are going to make passsages. And should be done weather you're driving a Bene or a an Oyster or a Swan.

Most boats can circumnavigate - assuming the skipper is a good skipper, has prepared him(her)self correctly and keeps a wary eye on weather windows.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:20   #63

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

The problem is not the window in fact , is the way windows are fitted in the hull sides, some builders use bolts and screws and others use Sikaflex..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Why the discussion about the windows at all? I've cut a set of marine plywood spare that exactly fit over our windows (Jeanneau) and pre-drilled the holes etc. If a window gets punched in we can screw a playwood plate over it. MIght not be 100% watertight (I have mounted foam tape) but they will be tight enough to stop any major water ingression.
This is just common sense ifyou are going to make passsages. And should be done weather you're driving a Bene or a an Oyster or a Swan.

Most boats can circumnavigate - assuming the skipper is a good skipper, has prepared him(her)self correctly and keeps a wary eye on weather windows.
I don't know why this discussion escalated and I was called uneducated. I earlier suggested that "some folk make wooden shutters to cover their windows"
Seems that is sort of what you do. And as you say you keep a wary eye on your weather windows. Why do you need to do that if they are strong?
Big windows are a weak point as they are basically a hole. The glass, lexan or acrylic might be bonded onto the cabin sides but it doesn't provide much strength.
Nobody has said what is good about big windows.
That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:41   #65

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

[QUOTE=GrahamHO;1975391
Seems that is sort of what you do. And as you say you keep a wary eye on your weather windows. Why do you need to do that if they are strong?
[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstood - when I noted keep a wary eye on their weather windos, I meant the wather they were going to sail into and make sure they had a window of good weather (i.e. not hurricaine season)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:05   #66

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Since I am looking at the newer boats I will tell you the advantage of big windows. They simply make the boat interior more inviting by letting in natural light.

There however are disadvatages as they may also let in water.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:24   #67

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
I'm not making recommendations. I said "what I would do". Beneteau design for mass production as well as the charter market. They are fine designs for what they are designed for.
Benetaus are designed for mass production? Mass production is not a market (like charter) it means that they made many boats of the same model.

Regarding Beneteaus being designed for the charter market it is a misconception. Regarding any Beneteau model the ones that are bought for charter are an important number but does not represent more than 25% of the number of the total of boats sold of a given model (normally are way less than that).

That means that the models are not designed specifically for the charter market but given the number of the boats sold for that market (25% is, regarding some models, more than 150 boats) they propose special interior layouts for charter.

Not only Beneteau are great charter boats. What makes a good charter boat is a very good performance, durability, interior quality and design for a price. Beneteaus are great boats for the price but Bavaria are as popular as Beneteau on the charter market.

Regarding what they are designed for it is for the biggest possible type of sailors and sailors needs (main market cruisers), from staying and living most of the time on a marina, for coastal cruising and depending on the size, for offshore cruising or blue-water cruising.

It is a general purpose boat and one that with some few simple modifications and additional equipment can be used (and is used) for long range cruising.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:47   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Since I am looking at the newer boats I will tell you the advantage of big windows. They simply make the boat interior more inviting by letting in natural light.

There however are disadvatages as they may also let in water.
Not necessarily, in what regards having a lot of light and entering water.

If you look for instance to the Bavaria Vision 46 you are going to look at a lot of light, provided by large acrylics strong panels, with adequate support, a lot of superior open hatches but only a small lateral one that open (over the Galley). And the original design had none but a small hatch over the stove. That small window was implemented because cruisers wanted it (a hatch over the stove is a much better solution for smoke evacuation).

Look at the original design: No "window":

Old 01-12-2015, 07:54   #69

Quote:
I'm knocking BIG windows. Beneteau are good boats with big windows. We just read about somebody whose Beneteau window popped out and apparently that's something that just "happens"....

I'm not imagining anything. You can see for yourself on the Beneteau site, big windows, and some with front facing windows. I know most of the modern trends in yachts (you don't need to inform me) and some do have small windows. I can see half a dozen Beneteau in real life any day I want to.

So why do you think there is "this modern tendency for eliminating all side openings to avoid these problems"? That's exactly what I said (not recommended) that I would do. So I'm wrong if I say that but the designers are not wrong if they do it??

As you say Sh*t can happen on any boat which is why I would do something about big windows, and why wouldn't you? It could save losing electronic gear or more.

I'm not knocking the Beneteau, and there are some beautiful Beneteau photos of bikini clad women lounging around the open transoms of Beneteau yachts maybe in the Greek Isles. Why would you go elsewhere?
What the hell do you call a "window" on a boat? I thought you were talking about lateral hatches that can be opened but it seems you call windows to everything that let pass the light.

Big panels of acrylic with adequate thickness and interior support does not constitute any risk regarding breaking or letting water in. They are used on a bigger scale on catamarans without any problem.

And by the way, what is your "perfectly good yacht"?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:02   #70

Boat: Nauticat 32

Windows might allow you also to see where you are heading to, and to see all the magnificent views around.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:09   #71

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Agree - they allow you to see the beautiful sites that are outside the boat.

Since I am in the market for either a mono or a cat. I will say the natual light that comes into the cabin helps a mono compete with a cat.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 16:18   #72

Dear Cruisers & Sailers Forums.
I do not appreciate Mark J writing "Yes you are in a most uneducated way"
Neither do I appreciate another easily forgotten individual writing "What the hell sort of boat have you got" Do you speak to your wife (if you have one) or any friends you may still have like that?
I do not like the way certain individuals in this forum attack an individual for suggesting ideas that they may not like. Why don't you engage in a constructive discussion? Experienced yachting people I mix with do not behave in such a rude manner, so why do you?

I am hereby departing from Cruisers & Sailors forum forever.
You no doubt will think good riddance because those are exactly my thoughts, not for all but certainly for a few bitter twisted members of this forum.
Old 01-12-2015, 16:30   #73

Quote:
Dear Cruisers & Sailers Forums.
I do not appreciate Mark J writing "Yes you are in a most uneducated way"
Neither do I appreciate another easily forgotten individual writing "What the hell sort of boat have you got" Do you speak to your wife (if you have one) or any friends you may still have like that?
I do not like the way certain individuals in this forum attack an individual for suggesting ideas that they may not like. Why don't you engage in a constructive discussion?

I am hereby departing from Cruisers & Sailors forum forever.
You no doubt will think good riddance because those are exactly my thoughts, not for all but certainly for a few bitter twisted members of this forum.
I don't like to be misquoted, that is not nice or apropriate:

I made two questions:
""What the hell do you call a "window" on a boat?""
and
""by the way, what is your "perfectly good yacht""?
and "perfectly good yacht" was the way you described your boat. I was quoting you on that.

I certainly I did not said :"What the hell sort of boat have you got"
Old 01-12-2015, 16:37   #74
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Windows might allow you also to see where you are heading to, and to see all the magnificent views around.
Picture windows in the hull are great, especially when you're not in the mood to drag out a step stool in order to see anything out the saloon windows above deck level...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 16:49   #75

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Picture windows in the hull are great, especially when you're not in the mood to drag out a step stool in order to see anything out the saloon windows above deck level...

;-)

I've gotten used to a small pilot house. I like the 360° view from the sofa, and the ability to stay inside when it rains too much. You need to climb to the sofa level though.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, circumnavigation, navigation