Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 07:43   #16

Re: Beneteau 57

If you are considering one of these seriously, you have likely seen a lot to like. I'll skip those things, and point out things I do NOT like about this design. Nothing that makes it a "bad" boat, but things to consider for an offshore yacht.

Any of these are coming to an age where the original teak decks are nearing replacement. That would be a HUGE expense.

I don't like the huge open saloon. Great for entertaining at the dock, terrible underway in rough weather. Handholds are too far away, and it's a long way to fall before you fetch up on something hard. When I am offshore, I hate any cabin that doesn't have a useable place to hold on EVERYWHERE you can stand. That means for short people too.

Once boats get to a certain size (>~55 feet) it gets hard for the designers to have an attractive saloon without running into this problem.

The galley doesn't appeal to me. Having the galley so far removed from the entertaining areas on the boat would make me (when I am the cook) feel like a bit of a galley slave instead of a participant in the festivities.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 19:44   #17

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: Beneteau 57

My dad has the Jeaneau 57. One of the first few in the states. He loves it. Few issues. It is almost stupid fast for what it is, and takes a long time to bleed off its inertia once moving. It's bright and comfortable inside, all the wires and hoses are well marked, and Engine access is good. Had a panda generator installed. Good way to keep hours off the regular auxiliary. He keeps it on a mooring, so any extra way to keep the batteries up is a plus. I miss having a traveler for sail trim, but it gets along fine. The electric headsail furling failed repeatedly and was eventually replaced with a regular rope version led back to near the port electric winch. Good motions at sea. Bow gets a bit damp, but that's common on plumb bow boats. The Raymarine plotter got outdated fairly quickly, I think his plan is to change them out for the new Axium stuff. Maneuvers in reverse better than my 32'.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau