Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 12:15   #1

Beneteau Oceanis 40 experience

Considering this boat in the title. Looking for first hand experiences and comparisons to other similar size production boats in terms of sailing characteristics.
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 17:45   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What year build and what config down below are you interested in I sailed a few

Dave
Old 31-12-2012, 17:47   #3

Re: Beneteau Oceanis 40 experience

2008 3 cabin/2 heads. Not interested so much in the comfort below and such unless it has some inherent major issues. Mostly interested in sailing performance, reliability, durability/strength, downfalls, engine size appropriate for it? Tanks seem small to me for size!
Old 31-12-2012, 18:07   #4
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd
2008 3 cabin/2 heads. Not interested so much in the comfort below and such unless it has some inherent major issues. Mostly interested in sailing performance, reliability, durability/strength, downfalls, engine size appropriate for it? Tanks seem small to me for size!
In general all Beneteau have tanks on the small size.

Lots of those 40s especially the 3 cabins went into the med charter market.

I always thought the standard 40 hp engine was a little underpowered , I think most private versions upgraded at purchase to the 70 hp ( can't remember exactly ) I certainly found the 40 hp version underpowered.

I've sailed the in mast version so it had typical performance of such a setup. Ogh yes and one slab reefed version, I ne'er really liked the beneteau slab reefing, there always seems to be a lot of friction in the reef line, and a lot had the reef lines pulled back to the cockpit , which made reefing a two person operation, but that's not uncommon. In my opinion. The boat suits in mast better

Quite a quick boat, nothing nasty , typical middle of the road stuff. From memory it had a reasonable chart table and if you like the abeam galley.

The main thing I found is there isn't any sea berths at all in the main cabin and with no back rest ( like in the old 50s) you have nothing to lean on when cooking.

Standard battery capacity is poor as well ,,another beneteau failing. And often difficult to expand easily

She's a typical med boat, good at what she is. But the design was heavily influenced by the charter market, ie little sleeping at sea and little cooking at sea.

Ps of she's fitted with holding tanks make sure they are all working, its one thing I hate is the holding tanks on some beneteau , especially around the transition to them being fitted into existing designs. They have a tendency to block. ( or the valves to seize)

areas to check, especially, if shes ex charter are rudder tube and bearings , keel and keel bolts , steering quadrant and cables, standard engine I believe was yanmar 40 , which is a good engine if looked after.

I found the twin wheel setup a little sloppy , but not untypically so .

As with all such boats , check the condition of the seacocks and the hoses., check the water system for leaks as the pumps have occasional trouble

Other then that not much to say. Lots of them about , very popular size and boat

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In general all Beneteau have tanks on the small size.

Lots of those 40s especially the 3 cabins went into the med charter market.

I always thought the standard 40 hp engine was a little underpowered
, I think most private versions upgraded at purchase to the 70 hp ( can't remember exactly ) I certainly found the 40 hp version underpowered.

I've sailed the in mast version so it had typical performance of such a setup.
Ogh yes and one slab reefed version, I ne'er really liked the beneteau slab reefing, there always seems to be a lot of friction in the reef line, and a lot had the reef lines pulled back to the cockpit , which made reefing a two person operation, but that's not uncommon. In my opinion. The boat suits in mast better

Quite a quick boat, nothing nasty , typical middle of the road stuff.
From memory it had a reasonable chart table and if you like the abeam galley.

The main thing I found is there isn't any sea berths at all in the main cabin and with no back rest ( like in the old 50s) you have nothing to lean on when cooking.

Standard battery capacity is poor as well ,,another beneteau failing. And often difficult to expand easily

She's a typical med boat, good at what she is. But the design was heavily influenced by the charter market, ie little sleeping at sea and little cooking at sea.

Ps of she's fitted with holding tanks make sure they are all working, its one thing I hate is the holding tanks on some beneteau , especially around the transition to them being fitted into existing designs. They have a tendency to block. ( or the valves to seize)

areas to check, especially, if shes ex charter are rudder tube and bearings , keel and keel bolts , steering quadrant and cables, standard engine I believe was yanmar 40 , which is a good engine if looked after.

I found the twin wheel setup a little sloppy , but not untypically so .

As with all such boats , check the condition of the seacocks and the hoses., check the water system for leaks as the pumps have occasional trouble

Other then that not much to say. Lots of them about , very popular size and boat

Dave
Thanks for the info.

The ones I am looking at are ex-charter boats. Both seem in almost identical conditions, which is almost as new. At least from looks alone walking thought I wouldn't say they have been chartered for 5 years and even less used much at all.

I intent to use it for family day/weekend sails and the occasional 5-15 day trip to the keys and Bahamas with family +/or friends 2-5X/year. So, having reasonable accommodations for that purpose and some resale value is important to me. The tank sizes are OK for my use, but the battery bank will definitely have to be at least quadrupled (has a 100 AH bank for house now). I will also be sailing solo with my 8 and 10 y.o. boys as crew most times, so something easy to handle (alone basically) is important as well. For this intent and purpose, it seems to fit the bill. Correct me if I am wrong though as I have never sailed one before.

**Ca you expand on what you meant by the dual wheel been sloppy?

Anyone else???
Old 01-01-2013, 12:53   #6
Nearly an old salt

Yes the basic boat is durable the interiors tend to hold up well. ( particularly if you have the synthetic sole )

Deck gear is brand name stuff , though it always annoys be that Benny rarely put in spinnaker winch hard points unlike say Bavaria.

If you are considering single handed or light crew the in mast would be useful.

In regards the dual steering I found that there was a degree of slop in that you moved the wheel a bit before you could feel the rudder moving. But nothing I, d worry about.
Quadrupling the battery. Capacity will require done thought as to location of the extra batteries. I've seen wholesale relocation to under the salon berth ( with trim issues )or quite a bit of additional work to under the aft berth to create a big box.
Dave
Old 06-01-2013, 18:04   #7

Quote:
Yes the basic boat is durable the interiors tend to hold up well. ( particularly if you have the synthetic sole )

Deck gear is brand name stuff , though it always annoys be that Benny rarely put in spinnaker winch hard points unlike say Bavaria.

If you are considering single handed or light crew the in mast would be useful.

In regards the dual steering I found that there was a degree of slop in that you moved the wheel a bit before you could feel the rudder moving. But nothing I, d worry about.

Quadrupling the battery. Capacity will require done thought as to location of the extra batteries. I've seen wholesale relocation to under the salon berth ( with trim issues )or quite a bit of additional work to under the aft berth to create a big box.
Dave
Thanks for the help again. The 2 different ones I am looking at are identical in jut about everything (2008) with stack main and lazy bag, which is actually what I would prefer anyway. As tot he battery box, I would have to look into it more.

There never is a shortage of indecisions. I was set on the boat above for my intended purposes until I started to see online few Beneteau 473 for not much more than what the Oceanis 40 cost. Trade of is age of 5-7 years older. Also, due to the increased size and deeper keel, it comes with more limitations in the Bahamas and Keys, added cost of maintenance/repairs (older and size), added slip cost, etc. I keep trying to convince myself that the 40 would be more than plenty for my family and intended use, but that evil voice in my head saying "this is bigger for just a tiny bit more" keeps on screaming loud
Old 06-01-2013, 18:16   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
I started to see online few Beneteau 473 :
I love the 473 and would have one like a shot. The 2 cabin version has a huge and I mean huge lazarette that opens off the aft of the L shape galley. As a cruising boat it would be sensational.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:25   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ

I love the 473 and would have one like a shot. The 2 cabin version has a huge and I mean huge lazarette that opens off the aft of the L shape galley. As a cruising boat it would be sensational.
I'd agree the version with the L shaped galley is great, just remember its a substantially bigger boat, more marina costs, higher rig replacement costs, etc etc.

Dave
Old 06-01-2013, 18:34   #10

Quote:
I'd agree the version with the L shaped galley is great, just remember its a substantially bigger boat, more marina costs, higher rig replacement costs, etc etc.

Dave
@MarkJ, although I do see the benefits of it, I do need a 3 cabin version. No way around it for me personally. I am not a cruiser for months on end nor do I live aboard. The extra room and convenience, although enjoyable and appreciated, is something I am almost sure would not be worth the extra cost given my intended use.

@Dave, yes, the same reasons you have above are the ones keeping me from it too.

Tags
beneteau, oceanis