Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 17:34   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Re: Beneteau's as Cruising Boats +'s -'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Maybe not quite comparable - but

a friend just skippered an Oceanis 58 from San Diego to Honolulu and back - round trip in seven weeks. He thought it was a very sea worthy boat.

I delivered the boat up the coast from San Diego - all motoring

the only drawback I saw was the size (enormous) of the main cabin and the lack of hand holds.

One crewman was thrown 15' across the cabin from the nav station seat into the stove and severely injured his back. Not comparable to the smaller boat.

the Oceanis boats I've delivered around here seemed well built
<br>
He's looking from 30 -35 feet. Comparison? not even on the same planet.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393 41' overall

My Wife & I sailed our Beneteau 393 2006 from Vancouver to southern Mexico & back to la Paz.
We hit a large gale for 2 days off the Oregon coast. Sustained winds of 35 gusting to 50 knts off the aft quarter. We had the stock Genoa deeply reefed & the auto pilot took it all easily. No leaks & quite comfortable...but she was loaded for cruising.
Beneteau's are light boats but are "engineered" & not just thick glass.
We plan on a circumnavigation in a few years with no hesitation.
sailing911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

We've sailed a First 375 for 20 years and loved her. She carried us safely & in relative comfort thru some nasty storms. The difference between a First & Oceanis 25 years or so ago used to be that the First was a performance or ocean racing hull with more stringers for a stronger build. We could see the differences when we had an opportunity to be on an Oceanis which seemed to be designed with more family comforts in mind and less sailing.

I'd consider an older boat that has been well maintained. You'd get quality most of likely couldn't afford today in a production boat--thick GRP, real teak and plenty of it, quality joinery, strength, and class. I've seen the new Beneteaus at boat shows and wouldn't want them as they've all had to reduce the quality of their build due to Bavaria having flooded the market with their affordable-by-all boats.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:56   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Like all production boats it depends on the model and trim it was originally built in.
You'd be best served to look into the different models in that range and see what they were primarily built for, then make a better informed decision.
Also look at other similar production boats in that size/cost range and see how they compare.
Most of all, be very honest about your abilities and what you'll be using the boat for the majority of the time.
Cruising is mostly about live aboard comfort and ease of handling. You'll be at anchor more often than sailing it.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:31   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7

I cruised my Beneteau First 36.7 to Mexico with great success. That model is not really designed for cruising as it has limited fuel and water. The trade off was it is fast, nimble and has great handling features.

I have sailed the traditional cruising boats in Greece, the Balearic Islands and the BVI and like all of them. Beneteau has nailed interior layouts for cruisers.

Paul in Carmel, CA
paulbrocchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423

My wife and I lived aboard our 423 for more than a year and sailed her from Hampton, VA to The virgins and then down to Trinidad and back. We went outside both times. I always felt the boat was solid and handled well. I put a roller furling stay-sail on board because these boats tend to be tender. We are now thinking of taking her to the Med.

All fiber glass boats are "plastic". The term plastic refers to the resins used to bind the fiberglass.

Gordon
etagordon556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:40   #22

Boat: Beneteau 285
We sail a first 285 near costal. Boat sails well and is well equip( after market comforts). Extended cruising for 4-5 months at a time with no issues.
Sailnguy35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, cruising