Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 05:58   #31

Boat: Looking
Re: Bermuda 40

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:46   #32

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

Nice, seaworthy boat and beautiful to look at. Not particularly fast, but anyone looking at a classic such as this probably doesn't care as much about speed as aesthetics.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:59   #33

Boat: Beneteau 323

Way back when I had a friend with a Bermuda 40, and sailed it with him many times. Actually, about the time the one you are looking at was new. I said then to my wife that if I won the lottery and had absolutely no limit on money, I would take that boat, equipped as it was and be in heaven. Fast forward fifty years or so and I still feel the same way, though my 33 footer has about as large a cabin. The only change I would make is updating the electronics. They hadn't invented GPS yet. But I do realize now that maintenance is a potential big issue, though the upgrades suggest a well taken care of boat. And I don't love varnishing. But she was and is as beautiful a boat that ever sailed, and I found that it handled wonderfully. Aslong as you know what you are getting into, I join the others who still lust after her.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:12   #34

Boat: CS 36

I think your choice of boat is a good classic option, i myself have been sailing on the bay for the last 35 years, the B40 is a nice choice with the shallow draft for the bay that gives you quite a few more options for anchoring in the shallow coves and creeks. The complexity of the centerboard jack screw (depending on the year and make of the B40 ) may need to be attended to as well. the exterior wood work will cost a bit to maintain and worth investing in canvas covers.
if you would like to have a call to discuss.

Dean
703-966-6139
forwardvoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:15   #35

I used Brownell in Massachusetts several years ago to move a sailboat from Annapolis to eastern CT and very happy with their service. I priced moving a few boats about 4 yrs ago and prices are probably higher now, but I bet you're looking at $4k-$6k to get either one to the Chesapeake. Remember, there will be associated costs with getting boat prepped and unloaded.
lyonsfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:01   #36

The only thing I would encourage you to consider carefully is the low freeboard on a B40. I did a deliver to Maine on a friends B40 a few years back, in the fall. Nearing our destination we ran into a williwaw between the islands gusting to 50 ish maybe and it knocked her hard over on her side, so much so that she took green water into the cockpit, a lot of it. I hadn't seen that much water over the side deck since I broached my J24 under spinnaker in 25+ knots. Caveat emptor.
walkabout08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:07   #37
MEC

Boat: Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 Dauntless

At the time this boat was launched, the Tripp designed B40 was a state of the art sailboat, the Hinckley yard was Hinckley owned, no shipyard in America built a better sailboat.

The reality is the boat, design, construction is 52 years old. The B40 has very small interior space, so extended living aboard will be challenging. At the time this boat was designed and constructed, systems we take for granted to be necessary now, didn't exist so the B40 was not engineered to include them. If one desired, it will be (very) difficult to add these systems to her now.

Even if her maintenance quality has been high, plan on an extensive refit of every system aboard: including rigging, centerboard, rudder bearings, electrical, plumbing, sea cocks, hoses, etc.

Before making an offer, engage an "owner's marine surveyor" (not a broker's marine surveyor) with experience surveying the B40.

Also, I understand that there is an active B40 owners fleet on the East coast. Contact this group for recommendations about service.

I hope this information is useful.

Marcus
Sou'wester 52002 "Dauntless"

Newport Beach, CA
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:59   #38

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I'd tell you to go ahead and buy it - but I'm biased. JOY is a great boat and Ron has taken very good care of her. The boat has been rewired (you can tell by the replaced breaker panel that is not the traditional white Hinckley panel). It has a solid deck, so no worries about balsa core. B40s just have a 'solid' and 'heavy' feel - but they're surprisingly nimble for a cutaway full keel boat.

B40s are not especially difficult to single-hand if you have a good "below deck" autopilot. The sail plan is quite flexible as folks have mentioned above. My boat has a removable inner forestay - which adds even more flexibility and ease of handling in a blow. I'm not sure how JOY is rigged. They are, however, subject to a LOT of propwalk - so backing into a slip can easily become a Keystone Kops routine. I've found, fortunately, that there are almost always more than several people willing to give you some help - if for no other reason than to take a closer look at the boat.

B40s are a bit 'tippy'. I've found that my boat heels to her cove line in about 10 - 12 knots of wind - but then stiffens up a bit and just settles in the water - lengthening the water line for 'speed' - and then heels some more (to about 30° or so) as the wind picks up to about 15 - 20 knots. She's not especially fast upwind, but she'll surprise you (and others) with a breeze on her quarter - especially with a spinnaker and a mizzen staysail set.

B40s are not the roomiest boat downstairs - but they sacrificed downstairs space for deck space. It's not difficult to go forward in about any kind of weather. The cockpit is pretty large - and can accommodate a large party (if they would just stay out of the companionway!).

B40s are a 'damp' boat. They have a low freeboard - but while that makes them somewhat wet while reaching - it also makes for much-reduced windage. A set of weather cloths helps with the dampness. The low freeboard also makes the boat look small. I always thought that a 40' was pretty large - until I parked it next to some Beneteaus.

There is an active B40 group in the Chesapeake area (and along the East Coast) - it's called, surprisingly, the "B40 Association" (but any Hinckley boat will do - you don't have to have a B40 to join). We get together on an ad hoc basis throughout the year - and we have an annual dinner/get-together in January on Kent Island. Covid kept us from meeting face-to-face last year but we have hopes for getting together this year. If you buy one of the B40s that need to be moved - I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the local members wouldn't help you bring it down to the Chesapeake.

I could go on ... but it's already too long. I'm in Strasburg, VA. Drop me a message or give me a call (703-899-0498) if you'd like to chat. Perhaps we could meet some weekend at Breaux Vineyard and talk B40!

Rick
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:00   #39

Take a look at
Old 08-11-2021, 10:56   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Go for it….single handing a 40ft is not difficult, once you’re set up for it.
I’d have a roller furling headsail, autopilot, and a remote control on a reversing windlass with all chain and self launching/stowing anchor.
Anchoring in a crowded bay will likely be the most routine challenge.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:08   #41

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
I'd tell you to go ahead and buy it - but I'm biased. JOY is a great boat and Ron has taken very good care of her. The boat has been rewired (you can tell by the replaced breaker panel that is not the traditional white Hinckley panel). It has a solid deck, so no worries about balsa core. B40s just have a 'solid' and 'heavy' feel - but they're surprisingly nimble for a cutaway full keel boat.

B40s are not especially difficult to single-hand if you have a good "below deck" autopilot. The sail plan is quite flexible as folks have mentioned above. My boat has a removable inner forestay - which adds even more flexibility and ease of handling in a blow. I'm not sure how JOY is rigged. They are, however, subject to a LOT of propwalk - so backing into a slip can easily become a Keystone Kops routine. I've found, fortunately, that there are almost always more than several people willing to give you some help - if for no other reason than to take a closer look at the boat.

B40s are a bit 'tippy'. I've found that my boat heels to her cove line in about 10 - 12 knots of wind - but then stiffens up a bit and just settles in the water - lengthening the water line for 'speed' - and then heels some more (to about 30° or so) as the wind picks up to about 15 - 20 knots. She's not especially fast upwind, but she'll surprise you (and others) with a breeze on her quarter - especially with a spinnaker and a mizzen staysail set.

B40s are not the roomiest boat downstairs - but they sacrificed downstairs space for deck space. It's not difficult to go forward in about any kind of weather. The cockpit is pretty large - and can accommodate a large party (if they would just stay out of the companionway!).

B40s are a 'damp' boat. They have a low freeboard - but while that makes them somewhat wet while reaching - it also makes for much-reduced windage. A set of weather cloths helps with the dampness. The low freeboard also makes the boat look small. I always thought that a 40' was pretty large - until I parked it next to some Beneteaus.

There is an active B40 group in the Chesapeake area (and along the East Coast) - it's called, surprisingly, the "B40 Association" (but any Hinckley boat will do - you don't have to have a B40 to join). We get together on an ad hoc basis throughout the year - and we have an annual dinner/get-together in January on Kent Island. Covid kept us from meeting face-to-face last year but we have hopes for getting together this year. If you buy one of the B40s that need to be moved - I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the local members wouldn't help you bring it down to the Chesapeake.

I could go on ... but it's already too long. I'm in Strasburg, VA. Drop me a message or give me a call (703-899-0498) if you'd like to chat. Perhaps we could meet some weekend at Breaux Vineyard and talk B40!

Rick
This boat sounds and looks fantastic...is it true that this boat has an 8.5'+ draft (both listings and Sailboat data seem to indicate that it does)? I don't know about the Chesapeake, but that would kind of limit the places you can go around here. I'll defer to the wisdom of the forum, as ever, but when I'm sailing shorthanded not having to worry if I have enough water to make it to the fuel dock is a boon.

OP must not mind, or maybe I missed the part where this is a shoal-draft version.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:38   #42

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

There are few "Full Keel" classics I really love but this B40 is one of them.

This is a fine sailing boat and I think with the board down it will really surprise you.

Of course this boat will take a bit of maintenance, but with such a lovely boat it will always be a work of love.

Buy it, sail it, keep it as close to original as you can, and it will only get better.
Old 08-11-2021, 13:02   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedville View Post
Hi All

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8063208/
Buy it! The B-40 is a actually a small 40', due to the large overhangs, so easy to manage. I learned to sail on a B-40 as a kid. My dad took me out and regularly let me take the helm even though I was only 10 years old. Such a pretty boat, and such great memories. And built tough, too. If you are willing to take care of the woodwork, you will always have the prettiest boat in the anchorage. Go for it!
Old 08-11-2021, 17:10   #44

I lived on a Bermuda 40 for a year in Hawaii. I loved that boat. From a woman's perspective, 40' can be a lot of boat for single-handing. A previous post says 'reef early'. It is those time when you get caught overpowered and needing to muscle things at the mast that I would not look forward to. Why single-hand? Get someone to sail with you and enjoy this beauty.

Having said that, The Pilot 35 by Hinckley is also a wonderful boat and would be my choice for more manageability.

The price does seem very good compared to others I've seen advertised.
mlspadaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:02   #45

Re: DMF Sailing's concern about the draft.

Yes, the boat does have an 8.5' draft with the centerboard down, but only a 4.5' draft with it up. That makes it a very good boat for the Chesapeake. The centerboard is raised and lowered with a worm gear located in the salon table. They are generally very easy to operate (keep it greased and oiled). We usually pour about half-gallon of vegetable oil in the centerboard well. The oil floats on top of the water in the well and that lubricates the worm gear. The lifting rod is made so that if you hit bottom, the centerboard raises up, so it's not damaged - and will automatically lower once you've moved on.

When going upwind (or on a beam reach) I usually lower it about 20 turns when the wind picks up to about 10 - 12 knots. The boat tracks very well then, with little leeway.

Tags
Bermuda