Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2021, 04:19   #46

Boat: Looking
Re: Bermuda 40

Actually, I did consider the Pilot 35 but I really would prefer a boat with a shallower draft since I'll be sailing the Chesapeake. My wife, kids and friends will sail with me but I figure most of the time I'll be sailing alone. I wonder if the B 40's main is bigger than the Pilot's?
Thanks for responding I really appreciate the feedback.
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:49   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You simply cannot go wrong with a B40 !!!
It's a classic...and for good reason.

Don't sweat the details, you will grow into the boat. First few times might overwhelm you, but after a few weeks, it will all become old hat to you, and you may even consider it "too small"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:54   #48

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Re: Sail area -

There are three flavors of B40 - "The original iteration, known as the Bermuda 40 Custom, was replaced around 1968 by the Mark II model, which boasted a bit more sail area and a re-shaped foil centerboard. The longest lived model, the Mark III, introduced in 1972 in response to the new IOR rule, incorporated more significant changes. Even more sail area was added, as the mast was stretched four feet up and moved aft two feet to create a more modern high-aspect mainsail and a larger foretriangle for headsails. More ballast was also added and a sloop rig was offered as an option." (from: https://wavetrain.net/2010/09/24/hin...et-dream-boat/).

JOY is a "Custom", which has a main sail area of 314.76 ft²; the Pilot 35 has a main sail area of 271.87 ft². My MK III has a main sail area of 254.40 ft², which is less than the Pilot 35 - but it has more foresail area.

All of these sails are easy to handle by oneself. I like the way the yawl has split up the total sail area into three sails - which makes each one pretty easy to handle. Many people use only the jib and mizzen ("jib and jigger") much of the time. The folks who owned my boat before me sailed it back from South Africa that way.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:08   #49

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
Re: DMF Sailing's concern about the draft.

Yes, the boat does have an 8.5' draft with the centerboard down, but only a 4.5' draft with it up. That makes it a very good boat for the Chesapeake. The centerboard is raised and lowered with a worm gear located in the salon table. They are generally very easy to operate (keep it greased and oiled). We usually pour about half-gallon of vegetable oil in the centerboard well. The oil floats on top of the water in the well and that lubricates the worm gear. The lifting rod is made so that if you hit bottom, the centerboard raises up, so it's not damaged - and will automatically lower once you've moved on.

When going upwind (or on a beam reach) I usually lower it about 20 turns when the wind picks up to about 10 - 12 knots. The boat tracks very well then, with little leeway.
Aha, thank you. Didn't see that centerboard nuance. Now I love the boat unconditionally.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:22   #50

Hi All

I'm still thinking about getting a B40. Does anybody know of a company that will insure such an old boat. I called Geico and they don't insure anything older than 40 years.

Thanks
Old 21-01-2022, 13:41   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedville View Post
Hi All

I'm still thinking about getting a B40. Does anybody know of a company that will insure such an old boat. I called Geico and they don't insure anything older than 40 years.

Thanks
Correct, Geico will only go to a maximum of 40 years. If you have not done so already, send me a PM and I will get you a quote with an underwriter that covers older vessels.
Old 21-01-2022, 13:42   #52

Boat: Beneteau 461

Rod Clingman
Maritime Insurance International
860.245.2388 Direct ◆ 866.558.5270 TF
rod@maritimeii.com ◆ maritimeii.com

Try these guys. They are in CT. USA
Jim Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:42   #53
MEC

Boat: Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 Dauntless

Contact Marsh Insurance, 15 Mansell Lane, Southwest Harbor, ME 04679 (207) 244-4805.

About twenty years ago, Marsh purchased Hinckley Insurance Co. Marsh provides cover to most Hinckley yachts today.

Be sure to ask for the Hinckley Endorsement to repaint the entire yacht if any painting repair is needed.

Hope this information is useful.
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 16:55   #54

The folks in CT are good. A friend is an underwriter for them and a professional mariner.
I had no problem (or survey needed) insuring my 1972 Cheoy Lee with Amica.
Also, I know Hagerty insures wooden boats so I would think classic plastic would be fine.
lyonsfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 18:09   #55

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Such a beautiful boat. I hope to hear you are able to work it out.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 18:26   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Hi All

I'm looking for my first boat and I'd like some opinions regarding a Bermuda 40. This would be my first sailboat. Sailed with my Dad as a kid and did a summer part time boat rental on a Beneteau 32 some years ago. I received several instructor sessions on the boat prior to taking the boat out myself.
I'm 59 years old in pretty good shape and I'm wondering if 40 feet is a bit too ambitious for a first time owner especially with my limited experience since I will be single handing most of the time.

The boat I'm interested is on the link below. I would have to have it set up for single handed sailing and add some electronics.
The B40 is my dream boat. I would use it for cruising the Chesapeake bay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8063208/
To singlehand suggest you get rid of those winches and replace with self tailing ones. About $3-4000.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:58   #57

Hi All

I'm still leaning towards the B40 but I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the Hinckley Pilot yawl? It's cheaper than the B40 but has a 5 foot draft v. 4.3 for the B40. Given I'll be sailing the Chesapeake the less draft the better. Also as I'll be single handing most of the time the Pilot would presumably be a bit easier. There's one for sale on yachtworld that looks to be in great condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...pilot-8183826/
Old 05-02-2022, 14:48   #58

Boat: Tartan 40

Pilot is a much smaller boat and heels a ton more.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 16:02   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Hi All

I'm looking for my first boat and I'd like some opinions regarding a Bermuda 40. This would be my first sailboat. Sailed with my Dad as a kid and did a summer part time boat rental on a Beneteau 32 some years ago. I received several instructor sessions on the boat prior to taking the boat out myself.
I'm 59 years old in pretty good shape and I'm wondering if 40 feet is a bit too ambitious for a first time owner especially with my limited experience since I will be single handing most of the time.

The boat I'm interested is on the link below. I would have to have it set up for single handed sailing and add some electronics.
The B40 is my dream boat. I would use it for cruising the Chesapeake bay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8063208/
That boat,while pretty,has a lot of needless complexity. Many more strings to tend and pull in the yawl rig plus I believe it also has a centerboard which would also require tending-it also has original non self tending winches which usually need 2 peeps to work--- these are against single handing. You need a simpler sloop rig with a reliable auto pilot... perhaps a Island Packet 40 or 38 or a more modern Beneteau 38 or catalina 38.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:44   #60

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

I delivered a B40 yawl from St Thomas to New York some years ago. Offshore around Hatteras. Felt safe and enjoyed the yawl rig for the mizzen staysail which pulls like a mule. Sailed a Bristol 32 yawl later and found the rig too complex for the space available and the speed value. A pal with an Alberg 35 yawl said the mizzen was perfect for the radar and awning but he never set the sail.

As mentioned by others, those older designs are tight spaces and may be difficult to maintain because of that. I agree.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda