Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2023, 15:57   #91

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
Re: Bermuda 40

Don't get me wrong - I usually like all of Jim/Ann's advice, but I think in this case they're setting you up with a false dichotomy. They seem (to me) to say that you have to choose between "going sailing" and "enjoying pride of ownership." I can't see why you can't have both - especially in this case. I haven't seen anything (so far) that would keep you from sailing the boat as it is. Yes, there are some problems that should be addressed, but nothing fatal as far as I can see. All boats of that vintage need some work. All boats of any vintage need some work. If you don't like that ... buy a new Morris.

The engine looks OK from the photos you've taken. Since it's a Perkins 4.154 the engine has certainly been replaced/upgraded. Most B40s of that vintage had 4.108s (like my Westerbeke). Your engine has about 60 (or so) HP, while mine has only about 45 HP. Perhaps they upgraded to provide extra HP for the refrigeration unit. Perhaps the old engine was tired. Regardless of the reason, you have some extra HP there - and that's a good thing. As sailingharry says - these engines run forever if well-maintained. Parts are also easy to get and there are a couple of good Perkins shops in our neck of the woods - especially the TransAtlantic folks in Hayes, VA (near Gloucester). I don't think that you're necessarily "F'ed" if there's a broker. I bought my boat through a broker and he let me start and run the engine. All you can do is ask.

The deck certainly looks in rough shape. It's not that much of a problem to repaint it (if you're handy at that sort of thing). It's just a royal PITA to prep it. Having someone else do it can run a pretty penny. I have a friend who just had his deck and topsides painted by Burr Bros in Marion, MA. They're perhaps the top-of-the-line folks for working on B40s (I'd say better than the SW Harbor folks at this point). I'll see if he'll give me a ball park number on what it cost - but you should know - they completely removed all the trim and deck fixtures before painting and that prep is what boosts the dollars. Painting the deck shouldn't require all the steps that Sailor Sailor listed, but it will be a serious enterprise nonetheless. I will echo Sailor Sailor's recommendation that you consider Alexseal if you decide to do it yourself. [By the way, one of your pictures of the foredeck seems to show that the owner did have that bead of 5200 (or 4200) that I mentioned in a previous comment - run down the inside of the toe rail to keep water from creeping between the rail and the deck.]

The autopilot is early 1980s vintage. It's certainly not state-of-the art, but does it work? If so - use it until you need to replace it. If it doesn't - then you're probably looking at around $6,000 for the unit and controls, and then some more to install it (unless, again of course, you're handy with those sorts of things). I'd suggest that you stay away from the wheelpilot types. If you're going cruising, and may run into heavy seas, then I think a rudder shaft-mounted drive is more robust. You'll probably want to look at the Garmin autopilots since that is the make of chartplotter (and other instruments?) already on the boat.
Old 10-03-2023, 16:19   #92

Bermuda 40

You don’t say what model that Perkins is and from the photos its hard to tell. I’m inclined to think its a Perkins 4-182 (Mazda 200 series) but solely because of the centre belt that disappears behind the cabinetry. If so, great engine!! Bad water pump">raw water pump. Equally it could be a 4-236, again , excellent engine but not an easy to access raw water pump if the compartment is tight.
Hopefully its not a 4-108, driving all those belts is asking a lot especially if the centre pulley drives another alternator.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 16:25   #93

Sorry ris8r, I missed your 4-154 reference🤢
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 16:46   #94

Boat: Bristol 27

It's probably a mistake to buy an expensive but ancient old boat just because it looks pretty neat as a first boat.

You will have one hell of a time docking the thing.

I bought an old sailboat (my 5th sailboat and 12th boat overall) and have been sailing the Chesapeake with it for the last 12 years.

It's a 1974 Bristol 27.

I sail the Southern Bay near the mouth of the Chesapeake and up as far as Tangier.

Actually I bought my boat at Deep Creek Marina Eastern Shore for $2,000 which is a bit further North than Tangier.

My boat is powered entirely by solar and has several computers onboard for chart plotters and communication/entertainment etc.

It also has an autopilot

It's my 3rd autopilot is maybe 2 years old and outboard is a 2022 my second one so it's not even a year old yet

I have new sails also. The jib was delivered a few months ago and my second new mainsail will be delivered in a couple weeks.

And a new gen anchor.

Plus new chainplates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	272616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	272617  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 17:00   #95

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I usually like all of Jim/Ann's advice, but I think in this case they're setting you up with a false dichotomy. They seem (to me) to say that you have to choose between "going sailing" and "enjoying pride of ownership." I can't see why you can't have both - especially in this case.
Well, you may be correct about the "false dichotomy", for I did set it up kinda harshly. But still, his search has lasted a long time already, and as the other poster said, had missed a years sailing whilst searching.

I don't know how to evaluate the B40 in question... that's way out of my range of expertise, but becoming fixated on a particular design (especially as an inexperienced sailor) certainly limits one's prospective list of candidates.

I wish him well in jumping from wanabe to sailor, whatever vessel he ends up sailing.

Jim
Old 10-03-2023, 17:29   #96

Thomm225 - Yep, they're certainly a pain to dock if you have to back into a slip. They have a LOT of propwalk. I know that backing mine into a slip is always an adventure (and spectacle). Fortunately, the one in question has a rub rail - which I've found to be very valuable. Otherwise, docking the boat is not too bad if you don't have to back in. For being a relatively heavy boat for its size - it's surprisingly nimble. One learns a lot about using spring lines.

Jim - I agree wholeheartedly that a prospective boat buyer (especially a relatively inexperienced one) shouldn't get hung up on one particular model. I do, however, understand that folks often will look for particular 'designs', like (and here I'll demonstrate that I'm clearly out of my depth) 'classical' designs (e.g., shapes resulting from CCA, ORC and other measurement rules - like the B40) or 'modern' designs (like the present Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, etc.) or multihull vs monohull boats. If that's the case here, I'd encourage Reedville to look at Bristols (I was looking very hard at a Bristol when I stumbled upon my boat), Cape Dorys, Albergs, etc. Otherwise - determine the kind of sailing he's likely to engage in - day sailing, coastal cruising, blue-water cruising, etc., and look for boats that support the kind of sailing anticipated. As usual, I agree with your sentiment (and advice) and also wish him well.
Old 10-03-2023, 18:13   #97

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
Thomm225 I'd encourage Reedville to look at Bristols (I was looking very hard at a Bristol when I stumbled upon my boat), Cape Dorys, Albergs,
Perhaps somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but given what's going on in the GGR I might consider a Cape George.
Old 10-03-2023, 20:13   #98

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
I can't see why you can't have both - especially in this case. I haven't seen anything (so far) that would keep you from sailing the boat as it is. Yes, there are some problems that should be addressed, but nothing fatal as far as I can see. All boats of that vintage need some work. All boats of any vintage need some work. If you don't like that ... buy a new Morris.
Ain't that the truth! How many boats have we seen that needed a little work or some cosmetic work and the new owner, wanting to make the new old boat look spiffy, proceed to tear the whole thing apart and "fix it up a bit?" Nothing disables a boat more than doing a little cosmetic work! And then it might sit for months or years getting spiffed up.

It's the battle I have with myself all the time... paint or sail? Sailing wins.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 14:00   #99

Well they certainly are beautiful boats though.

Check out this one. I just love those wide decks around the cabin.

The interior is simply a cut above most boats and probably the whole boat as well being a Hinckley:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...ustom-5391585/
Old 12-03-2023, 14:08   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Perhaps somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but given what's going on in the GGR I might consider a Cape George.
These folk bought their Cape George 36 before the GGR it appears and are in the refit process.

The Cape George 36 definitely has some very good numbers if you plan to sail offshore.....

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cape-george-36

Old 15-03-2023, 06:18   #101

Just talked with my friend about the cost of having the topsides painted. Expect to pay around $20K - $30K for a top-notch job. All deck things (eyebrows, grab rails, stanchions, hatch comings, sail tracks, etc.) removed, patching and wet sanding, and painting - including non-skid where it was applied in the original.

Of course, as much (or as little) of this as you want done, and as much as you can do yourself, would affect the cost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ed's deck - small.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	272815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed's deck2 - small.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	272816  

Name:	IMG_0221 - small.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	272820  
Old 15-03-2023, 07:59   #102

Boat: Tartan 40

My dad and I painted the deck and cabin on his B40 maybe 25 years ago. The cost and effort for a “pro” level job would have been ridiculous- mainly the time to removing all hardware.
We opted to spend a fraction of that time- and put our effort into surface prep and meticulous masking of all hardware. Rolled and tipped. It looked spectacular. Sure, at best 90% as good as a pro job, but only took us a 3 day weekend and a few hundred dollars of supplies. And, remember paint wears out eventually. So the ability to redo means it’s not 20-30K every 15 years
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 09:01   #103

Boat: C&C Northeast 39 (sold)

There are several on that Yachtworld link. Which one did you have in mind?
Hugh McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 08:28   #104

What did you do with the dinghy?
scp2hvfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 09:03   #105

Sorry to quick on the post...

What do you do with the dinghy? None of these boats have davits. Also, power? No davits for solar so how do you keep batteries topped off without the engine going?
scp2hvfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda