Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 04:41   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Bermuda Travel for Crew - What's Appropriate?

Sailing my Bristol out and back to Bermuda this June with 3 crew plus me. Two friends (1 son is third crew), are possibly other 2 crew. If crew member only sails one way, should I pay for 1-way airfare? What about meals on the island? Figured at least one group dinner on me upon arrival. Plan on being on the island for acouple of days. Have a slip so plan on all sleeping on the boat and will re-provision on the island so food will be available if desired. Lastly, Bermuda Covid requirements are strict and paperwork is $40/person to submit for entry, which I will pay. Curious as to what's expected/appropriate. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:35   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Bermuda Travel for Crew - What's Appropriate?

There are no protocols set in stone. Just make sure there are no surprises, everything should be discussed and agreed upon prior to departure.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:48   #3

When you take a road trip with friends and one son, what do you do ahead of time?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:51   #4

Thanks Jim...yep, plan to meet a few times to discuss everything from schedule, to safety expectations, to watch schedule, health history, and food. Also planning on a few sails together to acquaint all with boat, equipment, etc, so at least everyone has a basic understanding of how things work and where things are...
Old 04-05-2022, 10:58   #5

Stu, even tho our kids are now 29-32 yo, we pick up the cost of the "big ticket" items (eg house rental, airfare, dinners out), but split them with friends as typically each is driving their own vehicles. Definitely make plans jointly to ensure everyone is in agreement, understand and is satisfied...So I am covering my son's costs and costs for all on-board food, but curious as to friends....So what's the fee for offshore experience 5-12 days? Could I be making $$ on this deal??!
Old 04-05-2022, 12:35   #6

If you charge someone for the privilege of carriage on your boat, then you have legally changed their status.

The typical primary distinct legal statuses of persons aboard are:

Passenger
Passenger for hire
Crew

Passenger means an individual carried on a vessel, except -

(1) The owner or an individual representative of the owner, or in the case of a vessel under charter, an individual charterer or individual representative of the charterer;

(2) The master; or

(3) A member of the crew engaged in the business of the vessel, who has not contributed consideration for carriage, and who is paid for onboard services.

Passenger-for-hire means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.

A passenger for hire is therefore someone who cannot participate in the voyage without paying or contributing something. This includes the sharing of expenses. If a passenger is required to share expenses, it is not “voluntary,” and that person becomes a passenger for hire.

Consideration means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit, including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies. Key word: Voluntary

Crew means all persons carried on board the vessel to provide navigation and maintenance of the vessel, its machinery, systems, and arrangements essential for propulsion and safe navigation or to provide services for other persons on board.

If they pickup expenses not related to providing carriage on the boat, e.g., airfare to or from, on shore meals and incidentals, personal property purchases, land based transportation, hotels, etc. that is not related to maritime law considerations.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 15:21   #7

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

As mentioned, there are no hard and fast rules.
Below is what I would do, but SYOS (Sail Your Own Sail).

Given your crew will be either friends or family, I would expect them to pay for the following:
- Travel to/from
- Entry visas etc
- Personal gear
- Meals on shore
- Drink
(What arrangements you have with your son is your business)

I would expect to pay for:
- All boat and safety gear
- Repairs and maintenance
- Food on board
- Marina fees

Obviously I haven’t listed everything, but you get the idea.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 17:00   #8

Montanan, thanks for the distinctions based on remuneration and responsibilities. I definitely do not want to change someone's status so will forego charging friends for the privilege of my company for 5-6 days x 1-2...
Chris, makes sense - boat costs are mine, expenses unrelated should fall to the individual.... much appreciated. My son, has the unfortunate status of being related to me by blood, so what ever duties I can push off to him seems fair w/o remuneration.
I will still plan to cover an on-shore arrival dinner, seems only fair...but not volunteering to pay for anyone's flite. thnks
PS...now back to my lengthy prep list before leaving June 16th..
Old 04-05-2022, 17:43   #9

Enjoy!
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:52   #10

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Sailing my Bristol out and back to Bermuda this June with 3 crew plus me. Two friends (1 son is third crew), are possibly other 2 crew. If crew member only sails one way, should I pay for 1-way airfare? What about meals on the island? Figured at least one group dinner on me upon arrival. Plan on being on the island for acouple of days. Have a slip so plan on all sleeping on the boat and will re-provision on the island so food will be available if desired. Lastly, Bermuda Covid requirements are strict and paperwork is $40/person to submit for entry, which I will pay. Curious as to what's expected/appropriate. thnks
Seems to me: if you need them as crew then you should pay their expenses out and back. If friends along for a sail to Bermuda but not strictly necessary to make trip, perhaps they should buy you dinner in Bermuda!
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, crew