Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2022, 20:10   #1

Best 45'-50' boat with two larger staterooms/heads

Please share any boat designs that come to mind. I prefer a layout that has one aft cabin. If there is a boat like some Hylas that has a three cabin layout with one midships that would be ideal, but if not I can live with just two cabins.
So far I have looked at:

Jeanneau 45 DS
Hylas 49

I would like to keep the boat under $400k and under 50', if possible.

Ideas please.

Thank you very much!
Michael
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 20:46   #2

Re: Best 45'-50' boat with two larger staterooms/heads

Just finished a week on a Jeanneau 470. No thank you.
So of the two you listed, Hylas gets the nod.

However, in the 45-50 range, there are a TON of boats that could work.
Gozzard 44 (not a CC, but has 2 cabins)
Oyster 45, 485, 49 (might be over $400K), 53. (CC, and Raised DS. All with aft cabins)
Contest 46 or 48CS (the 48CS is a beautiful boat and has a large aft cabin. Not ICW compliant)
Tartan 4600 (or just shy, the 4400. There are no 4700's available). Aft cockpit with an aft cabin.
Island Packet
Malo 46
Passport 47: CC w/aft cabin
Tayana
Hallberg Rassy 49. Huge Boat, CC, 3 cabins.

I think you should start with: aft cockpit or center cockpit. From there, sloop, cutter or ketch. Fixed keel or swing. ICW compliant or not. Then you can narrow your list.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 22:25   #3

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Taswell 49, came in 2 and 3 cabin versions.

https://swiftsureyachts.com/1997-tas...bcff10bcacfd21
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 06:36   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Catalina 470 is where we ended up when looking for similar characteristics as you stated.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 07:50   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I have a Jeanneau 2 Suite. I’ve had a dozen power boats all great hulls engine mounts gear. Sea Ray and Donzi have been my go to. So I’m green on Sailboats. I researched who was financially stable, who had hull failures and what type. I’ve found out my boat was dealer specified for a show with heavy load of options but honestly I picked it cause it was good looking and the glass works were pristine. I Just found out from a real sailor my main is stretched and the area where the dealer went with base sails.
I fell in love with several other boats X Yachts 4. Winds my watch. The Barvaria C 45 had two power winches at each helm but the garage really doesn’t fit an inflated Dinghy. The trouble with all the lovely yachts is finding one. Actually getting on the different brands take global tripping.
I know CC are great boats I drove by them every day for years. I don’t want old fibreglass with Epoxy patches. I won’t buy a boat with a history of plywood decks cause they shred in the power boat world.
In the power boat world we pick on Bayliner, Prowler, and any brand from Cheo Lee. Justified as chopper gun boats or famous poor quality control they fall apart In big water.
In Sailboats the villain seems to be the boats in production speared on by boats no longer in production. Laminate interiors and simplified European systems.
I have a few friends with older lumbering boats. Mine gets up and goes really well.
I’d buy another Jeanneau but the 440 is not much bigger the 490 I understand is underpowered. The 51 need an update.
The Benniteau First 53 and 36 wind my watch a 44 would win me over. Benniteau have a rep for being slightly better quality than Jeanneau. I’m not sure where.
I love the Italian boats Vika but their biggest is a 35 they shoved 3 beds in. It’s a very small company with out the big players buying power. I like the minimalist approach
I was uncomfortable on a new Hunter helm hanging over the transom. Was sorry to hear they have failed again.
Catalina seemed really well built. I didn’t care for the transom hull deck joint. Looked bulky. Same with the coach roof very 90’s.
The most spoken about quality brands seem special ugly if practical very slow and honestly I could care less if they are full of rare endangered wood. The plywood with unfinished edges is dumb. I put a thin coat of Systems West with micro balloons to seal my plywood bits.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:00   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

This is the Vico 35S. I think it’s yummy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC18EAC8-6F71-4B6A-955F-6D590472342A.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	256686  
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:31   #7

Boat: Beneteau 46

Jeanneau 49 DS
Beneteau 46
Beneteau 49
Moody 47
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:43   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43

Before you buy another boat, I recommend you walk through either a Nauticat 43 or a Nauticat 42. The look and feel of these boats with their interior pilothouse is much different than most other boats. These are both pilothouse sailboats with a v-berth and aft cabin.
Old 26-04-2022, 13:21   #9

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

My choice of those you brought up would be Hylas. We own a Macintosh 47, but with only 16 built, and one on the bottom, they rarely become available. Ours is a 2 cabin boat. Our guest cabin has a head with a separate tiled shower. Our guest cabin also has its own settee, that seats 3 comfortably/4 in a pinch. That's really rare. Our guests regularly say "that's the most comfortable bed and cabin I've ever slept in."
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 22:05   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrunnermike View Post
Please share any boat designs that come to mind. I prefer a layout that has one aft cabin. If there is a boat like some Hylas that has a three cabin layout with one midships that would be ideal, but if not I can live with just two cabins.
So far I have looked at:

Jeanneau 45 DS
Hylas 49

I would like to keep the boat under $400k and under 50', if possible ideas please.

Thank you very much! Michael
I don't know your location but you have only looked at two boats. Get off the couch and start at one end of the water and work you way to the other. Every boat you look at will help you determine what you like and don't like. Sitting at a computer doesn't get you very close to finding your boat. Since you will be buying a used boat your choices will only be among the boat that are for sale...look at them all.

Your focus appears to be entirely on the inside of the boat. There is a lot more you need to be thinking about.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 05:25   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

We own and sail a Taswell 43....it has 2 ensuites, one aft with a centerline near-queen-size bed and an adjoining head and separate shower. And just forward of the mast, with a pocket door to provide privacy, is a sidewall-mounted double bed with an adjoining head fwd. Both suites have hanging lockers, drawers, side windows/portlights, and overhead hatches. May be worth a look??
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 05:36   #12

We sailed for 3 yrs all over the Caribbean and two years on the Chesapeake on a Taswell 49 with forward and aft staterooms and mid ship bunk bed cabin. In our opinion there are few blue water boats in this size range that will provide a more comfortable live aboard boat. In addition, the boat is over engineered in many ways and built by Tashing, the same company that builds the iconic Nordhaven trawler.
visionatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 05:45   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Two stateroom cabin boats are not common , usually the second heads are designed to accommodate the rest of the boat.

Three cabin boats are very common from 32 foot up , but are not “ staterooms “

Round here Jeanneau would be regarded as better screwed together then Beneteau but the difference Is often different from model to model. I’m biased as I like the older Bavaria’s
Old 27-04-2022, 05:47   #14

Boat: Oyster 49

I own an Oyster 49 and so feel that it fits your bill

One sold recently but you can see the photos on the listing

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/2230764/

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 08:59   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
Before you buy another boat, I recommend you walk through either a Nauticat 43 or a Nauticat 42. The look and feel of these boats with their interior pilothouse is much different than most other boats. These are both pilothouse sailboats with a v-berth and aft cabin.
We have a Nauticat 43, which is a center cockpit ketch with an inside helm and pretty high freeboard to accomodate a spacious interior that includes two heads, separate shower, and 3 staterooms.

Everything on boats is a tradeoff. A spacious aft cabin with standing headroom is more likely on a larger, heavier center cockpit cruiser than a sleek, modern aft cockpit racer.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, head