Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 05:58   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Best Anchor in South Pacific

HUTCH i just had a camera fitted 30ft above the deck looking forward and down to make visual entrances through skinny passes to Lagoons safer.

Lagoons in reef country (excuse the pun) are like heaven, the fish the coral the clear water and sand is fantastic.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 13-12-2012, 06:10   #17

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Capta:

Thanks for the information. The Caribbean is much too crowded to suit my fancy. I noticed that the Isle of Pines has been referred to as "lile la plus proche du paradis" (the closest island to paradise), which brings to my old memory the popular melody by Don Henly, "Paradise." Like Don, I'm not so deluded to think that I might find such a place. New Caledonia has some serious social issues, but I wouldn't be going there to fix them. I'm no John Mcafee, and would not be the least bit interested in permanent residency. I'm looking only for the quiet zone. The Isle of Pines is sixty miles from the main island of New Caledonia, and has a population of 1300. The pictures on Wiki are absolutely breathtaking. Anyway - my writings are mainly for the sake of writing. There are no masterpieces in the project repository.

I don't want this thread to meander off towards a tourist blog. I know the forum moderators warn against that. I think my question is intrinsically tied to sailing, in general. Sailors surely must have a dappling of stuff in their genes, to drive a seasonal yearning for quiet and solitude. Those who go to sea surely get plenty ...
Old 13-12-2012, 06:29   #18

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Lagoon4us:

I love the bow camera idea. It would tend to make a fellow a bit less nervous. I found some nice photos of Chesterfield on:

1993 FK5C IOTA DXpedition

What's your favourite place in the Chesterfields?
Old 13-12-2012, 06:35   #19

We went there probably 14 years ago now spending time catching Rosy Job fish at southern end, a French Patrol boat shared the anchorage... Weather can be a problem, we at the time were in a 130 foot mono stabilised etc, nice.

Cheers
Old 13-12-2012, 06:45   #20

JIMBO:

It keeps getting better! I see that they have passed a local law that refers to Beveridge reef, and prohibits venturing within a mile of it (for fishermen, anyway). Guess they got tired of pulling people out. LOL - but THANKS!
Old 13-12-2012, 07:17   #21

Truthfully, the reef seems to be a safer place than where I currently reside. I live in a relatively decent suburb (Raleigh, NC area). We took two 22 caliber rounds into the house last night. Don't have a clue about the origin of the bullets, but I recovered one from the bathroom. It was smashed up pretty well by the double pane thermal glass, but I saved it as a souvenir. I'll say this: bullets tend to kill off the ability to concentrate on writing ...

I've had eight tires flattened with screws. My car was filled with explosive fluids on multiple occasions. My fuel lines were cut (causing spray of gasoline up into brake linings, muffer, etc. of my vehicle). I've been driven off of the road at high speeds. I've spun out of control on the interstate at high speeds (due to tire mischief). My daughter stepped on a copperhead snake on the doorstep. My car windows have been broken. I'm tracked (apparently some kind of cell phone tracking system was set up). You can see how it is that I'm developing a certain fondness for the south pacific, even though I've never been there. All I want to do is write.

I wonder if Tasmania is perhaps a little more peaceful, even with the devils?
Old 13-12-2012, 10:17   #22

Boat: Westsail 32
Sailor Hutch........Check out the Marlborough Sounds in NZ......Except for a few weeks in January that place is big time deserted. Psssst.........don't tell anyone.
Eyeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 10:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Truthfully, the reef seems to be a safer place than where I currently reside. I live in a relatively decent suburb (Raleigh, NC area). We took two 22 caliber rounds into the house last night. Don't have a clue about the origin of the bullets, but I recovered one from the bathroom. It was smashed up pretty well by the double pane thermal glass, but I saved it as a souvenir. I'll say this: bullets tend to kill off the ability to concentrate on writing ...

I've had eight tires flattened with screws. My car was filled with explosive fluids on multiple occasions. My fuel lines were cut (causing spray of gasoline up into brake linings, muffer, etc. of my vehicle). I've been driven off of the road at high speeds. I've spun out of control on the interstate at high speeds (due to tire mischief). My daughter stepped on a copperhead snake on the doorstep. My car windows have been broken. I'm tracked (apparently some kind of cell phone tracking system was set up). You can see how it is that I'm developing a certain fondness for the south pacific, even though I've never been there. All I want to do is write.

I wonder if Tasmania is perhaps a little more peaceful, even with the devils?
Mate you need to move onto a boat and sail.................Anywhere!!!!
Old 13-12-2012, 11:08   #24

"Mate you need to move onto a boat and sail.................Anywhere!!!!"

- LOL

Most distressing is the fact that what I wrote in the last post is just the tip of the iceberg! There has been all manner of mischief directed towards my skin and bones profile (maybe that's why they regularly miss), and it's usually the semi-low level stuff similar to what was described. It has become systemic in our society, which IMHO is consuming itself. I think some folks call it gangstalking. Anyway, I don't see that a reversal is forthcoming any time soon, and I'm searching for sparsely populated areas where I might have a difficult time finding myself!

Marlborough sound may be interesting. So long as a person stays away from Cook strait, you're OK there, according to my internet info. Are shootings common there? I can take it once in a while.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:23   #25

The violent lifestyle, becoming more common here in the US, simply does not appeal to me. One of the in-process books that I'm working on is a love story, and I'm looking for a much better place to finish it. Additionally, I'm in the formulative stages, sketching out a nature book ....

Enough of that - too much off of the topic here. (Sorry moderator(s))

So, back to the question that started the thread: the perfect paradise sailing destination.

Whatsay?
Old 13-12-2012, 11:25   #26

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Marlborough sound may be interesting. So long as a person stays away from Cook strait, you're OK there, according to my internet info. Are shootings common there? I can take it once in a while.
The only thing that may sound like a gunshot would be the popping of wine corks from the may local wineries. People do hunt in NZ but not much in the Marlborough area as it is mostly sheep grazing country. NZ is not a gun society, very few people own a gun and police do not carry guns unless it is serious situation.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 11:38   #27

"The only thing that may sound like a gunshot would be the popping of wine corks from the may local winery"

That would be music to my ears, in spite of the fact that I don't drink a drop!
Old 13-12-2012, 12:14   #28

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
If that's typical of Raleigh, NC, I don't know why anybody lives there. What in the world is worth the price of living like that?
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 12:32   #29

Re: Best anchor in south pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
CHESTERFIELDS......
Pretty crowded there!

Huon reef is quieter.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 13:00   #30

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We just recently spent a week at Chesterfield Reef and loved it. However, while we were there, a French Navy helicopter hovered at just above our mast height, just off our stern for almost 10 minutes. We smiled and took pictures. They left without so much as calling us on the radio.

Another favorite of ours was Suwarrow Atoll, part of the Cook Islands. There are two wardens who live there when it's not cyclone season and they're supposed to limit your stay to ten days but they were the most hospitable people we ever met.

If you'd like a little more civilization, then I'd highly recommend Fakarava in the Tuamotus. Water with 150' visibility and in town you can get fresh croissant and baguettes!

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor