Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:32   #1

Best Aussie / Kiwi 35-40' Fast Cruisers

I have been looking at buying a Jeanneau, Beneteau or possibly Bavaria in the 35-40ft range with the intention of buying in Europe and sailing the med and then taking to Australia when I eventually move back home. My original plan may hit a snag as I was working on the assumption that I will not finish up work at least until next summer or possibly a year beyond that, but now it is seeming likely that I may be ending work at the end of the year (the joys of being an independant IT consultant ).

The possible earlier ending makes me think that I should just say screw it and move to Aus early next year and buy a hassle free boat (importing and shipping stuff) when I return. So just in case I have been looking at Jeanneau's and Beneteau's in Aus for up to $150k AUD (early depature reduces my budget ), but I realise I should not discount some of the Aussie & Kiwi built boats, but as I have been out of yachting for over 20 years and really do not have clue about what to look at.

When I was younger I liked the Farr 1104's and other Farr's but compared with the Euro boats they seem so uncivillised. Ideally I would like a boat under 10 years old in the 35-40 foot mark with at least one double cabin under the cockpit (the Farr's seem to only have single births and are not seperate cabins). I accept that my budget makes it very tight to find a boat like this, so I am open to suggestions for older boats.

Besides Aussie/Kiwi boats I'd be interested in hearing about boats that were/are popular imports and are readily available on the 2nd hand market in Aus. Boats that bust my budget a little are also welcome

If this becomes my boat buying plan, then I will intend to chill out over the Aussie winter re-learning to sail in the Whitsundays before perhaps heading up to Thailand to sit out the cyclone season.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 14:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Far 1220, if you can reach one. Probably much better than most Bennes, Jeanneas, Bavas. Probably the next best thing a Bennetau First.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 15:52   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I guess it kinda depends on what you define as "fast" and what you define as a "cruiser". The current racing measurement system (IRC), for all it's faults, has forced designers to put some thought into putting a proper fit-out into the current generation of "cruiser-racer" boats that, while not quite as quick as a straight racer, do tend to take handicap honours.

For what it is worth, there are still a good number of Farr 1104s around, although somewhat long in the tooth these days. They were, indeed, ahead of their time, and fast (for the day), but with 3/4 fractional rigs, in-line spreaders, runners and checkstays, are hardly ideal for short handed cruising (having said that, my "cruising" boat has exactly the same rig).

I guess that Australia soesn't really have any equivalent buidlers to Beneteau / Jenneau / Bavaria / Hunter, etc. I mean, there are the Buizen range of cruisers, that are lovely, but bloody expensive. If you don't mind basic, but like a decent turn of speed, I suppose the Murray Dovell Burns designed Sydney 38 might be ok, but probably a little too spartan to really be considered a real cruiser per se. I guess a lot of cruisers look to the Jo Adams designed boats at around the 40-45' range. These can be great boats - well designed and certaily more of a cruiser than a racer, but certainly reasonably quick for a cruiser

Adams 12 Aft Cab - Boats For Sale - Used Boats - Yacht & Sail Boats Cruising Yachts - Yacht and Boat Sales
Adams 12 for Sale - Boat Sales | Boats Online

Some of these will be more race orientated, some more out-and-out cruiser. some have centre cockpis and aft cabins, some have lifting centreboards, etc.

Bear in mind though, that many Adams boats were not professionally made, although some were, so the quality will vary depending on the builder.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 16:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I guess it kinda depends on what you define as "fast" and what you define as a "cruiser". The current racing measurement system (IRC), for all it's faults, has forced designers to put some thought into putting a proper fit-out into the current generation of "cruiser-racer" boats that, while not quite as quick as a straight racer, do tend to take handicap honours
I guess my definition of "fast" covers the Beneteau oceanis & Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Whilst they are not as fast as the First & Sun Fast, I assume they can still make a bit of speed

Those Adams look a bit basic and yet are quite expensive. I used to like the Adams 10. It looked more like a day sailor but was capable of ocean races

barnakiel the Farr 1220 looks great, but is scarce.

It seems a shame that it seems like it is not easy to get a decent quality comfortable locally built boat downunder
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 17:13   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Your best resouces for looking for boats in Australia are probably
The Yacht Hub
Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ Yacht Hub Australia & New Zealand
Boatpoint
Used Boats - New Boats - Search New & Used Boats For Sale - BoatPoint Australia

the above sites should give you a decent feel for what is available and what you will pay.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 19:14   #7

Boat: Young 43
We recently bought a Cavalier 37 which is a quality build though much older than you are looking for.Ours has had a lot of recent improvements/replacements so we compromised on the hull age.Cavalier also made a more recent 395 model which has a lot more room plus good performance.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 19:34   #8

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I used to race on a Farr 1220 - sensational boat - ticked a lot of boxes as a fast cruiser. Easy to sail, forgiving but a good turn of speed. They have held their price because of those qualities. I'd have one tomorrow if I had the cash!
Old 06-10-2009, 20:44   #9

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Don't know about Aus but the boatbuilding industry in NZ is pretty much dead as it relates to "normal" people. The only things we build are mega yachts or big expensive race boats for export. The local industry was killed by a succession of idiot government moves, starting with Muldoon's boat tax.

Oh yeah we make a bunch of little fizzy boats too, but who cares.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote