Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 17:16   #16

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
That cherry will darken considerably with age. I still don't think it will be too dark in there as you say, but it will really darken, buautifully. Yes, harder than teak. Yes, teak is way more expensive. Cherry is domestic, local out here, not sure about there. There are different kinds of teak do a search and you will see. Cherry isn't that hard. It almost sounds like they are trying to say that because it is a harder wood it is harder to work. Hmmmm. Not in my opinion, black locust (which you wouldn't want anyway) I could see them saying that-causes sparks from your power tools unless still green, but cherry works beautifully. I like oiled and waxed wood also, but on the interior of a boat, you might consider oiled and then many coats of varnish (not urethane). You will have enough upkeep on the exterior woodwork (which I wouldn't varnish but just oil and oil and oil...varnish can show a beating out there where it gets one-but I'm sure I'll get some differing opinions here!). Teak sole (floor) for me because it is more rot resistant and you'll be wetfooted and driping, it's a boat. And again, oiled, well oiled.
Have fun with it all, that's what it's about!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 17:26   #17

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Thanks Castoff

Again Good luck in finding your small boat. I like all the ones you have mentioned and just wanted to include the Dana..

First, PSC as a company went belly up.. New owners are in NC.. They do not have the molds for the Dana.

Second, Seacraft Yatchs up here in WA state are building the new Dana's. They are a dealer for all the PSC Boats. I believe PSC built over 400 of these Danas. The curent builder has only built ONE! The one in the video. They build them on an order basis and on a semi custom basis (as far as wood) and also on any options you may desire.

Third, I believe the Base price of a new Dana is 140K and thats pretty well equipted... That belief is per my conversation with builder/broker. I have yet to get a detailed price list like PSC used to do when they built them.

Fourth, That other PSC Dana is in that video is also for sale. It was built in CA before PSC went out of buisness. Its also listed on Seacraft Yatchs website and is a really nice Dana. Its relatively new and an older hull number. Believe asking price is 80K plus..

Believe you can find some older Dana's that well cared for much less. Since you were looking at IP27's a very nice sailboat. Think there are several Dana's out there comprable.

There is also a PSC 25 members group on Yahoo.

Good Luck Castoff,
Mike
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 17:39   #18

Mike, Thank you for correcting my reply in your post above. The other Dana 24 on that dock in the video is the PS built one you speak of at $89k+/-. I'm always a bit leary buying the 'last built' of anything, super cautious about peeved laidoff workers 'just going through the motions at their jobs'. Kind of like a 'Monday/Friday built car/truck thing'.

Yikes! $140k base is a lot more out of my range, but I give them credit as the quality looks on point in the video.

I'm going to look for a used Dana, while keeping my eyes out for the others mentioned in my thread. Again, it looks like you'll own a VERY nice boat in the near future and I appreciate knowing it's out there if the financial winds blow back my way!
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:45   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
my experience of cherry was that it is very sensitive to sunlight and fades significantly. Also I found Cherry marks more easily that teak, it was very easy to get little dings and dents in it, compared to maghogany. I owned boats with teak, maghogany and cherry. Cherry darkens , but im my experince not darker then teak.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i think the cherry looks good but would rather have teak. if you seal cherry with varnish i would think it would be a long time before it turned darker. another nice light wood is maple.
Old 14-02-2010, 09:30   #21

How about a Bamboo interior? I see that it's become a popular 'wood' of recent .
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 22:13   #22

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Bamboo?

I have bamboo flooring in my home.. The wood is inexpensive and is a wood that grows very fast. I have no idea about it in a boat! I do know in my home its very hard and light.. Good question.. Thanks!
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 03:02   #23

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Bamboo is light, hard, interesting and a good renwable resource. It would be great to hear from someone with experience using it in a damp environment. My experience with those bamboo cutting boards is that they warp in a heartbeat. Perhaps not quartersawn or of a quality that is comperable? Anyone out there with more applicable info?
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:34   #24

Mike,

Gonesail is right about cherry staying light if you varnish it. Any oiled wood will darken much quicker that a varnished surface - the oil will catch and hold dirt like that was it's main job.

Better to use a rubbed effect type varnish like Interlux's. It's very easy to get a nice finish with these types of satin varnishes and they don't change the color of the underlying wood much because they don't have ultraviolet filters mixed in. (that's why you can't use these satin varnishes above decks).

Good luck with your new boat when it's built - the Dana's are great looking boats
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 12:12   #25

I used Poplar and Redwood in the RV and the Bus (Rolling Fork). I'll be using Poplar again in the Trimaran project boat. I just like light woods.
Old 22-02-2010, 16:52   #26

Boat: Morris 28
Dana 24

Hi all, I too am a Dana 24 lust-er (not the 'finish', but the drooling sense of the word) . Have a dinghy now, but wayyyy to unstable for my liking. I wanna cross oceans, not rivers !
Anyway, been thinking about pleading with the previous builder of BridgesPoint 24 to start up production again Bridges Point 24 Options
?not as much of a proven ocean going tank as the Dana, but just can;t afford the the stuff below
Nice to meet y'all
Sammy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Designed by W.I.B. Crealock SPECIFICATION SHEET January 1, 2010

Hull Color: Oyster White Cabin Sides: Almond

2010 Dana 24 Base Price $147,900.00
Complete with the following featured equipment

Yanmar 3YM20 – 21hp diesel engine LED Lighting: Running Lights, Anchor Light, Interior
Sails: Ulman, North or Doyle – Main & 100% Jib Reading and Overhead lights.
Low Maintenance Exterior: SS Handrails, Shore Power w/ SmartPlug™, cord, panel, outlets.
Anodized Alum toerail, Starboard Ladder treads Lewmar self-tailing winches.

Popular Options for Dana 24 – Additional Options Available on request

General
Teak cabinets over settee (per side).... $ 750
Privacy curtain for V-berth (specify fabric).. $ 575
Ultraleather™ on settee cushions............. $ 750
Stainless Steel Chafe Guard.................... $1,150

Deck Equipment
Exterior Teak Package: Caprails & handrails $1,400
Exterior Varnish (7 coats Epifanes)........... $2,800
Coaming boxes (port & starboard)............ $ 500
Teak cockpit grate.................................... $1,050
BottomSiders™Cockpit cushions ............ $ 670

Spars and Rigging
Cutter rig: Hardware, standing & running rig $1,185
Running Back Stay system........................... POR
Furlex roller furling system w/ rigging screw $2,850
Seldon Rodkick hard vang w/ gas spring.. $ 885
4:1 Block & tackle boom vang.................. $ 225

Sails/Canvas
Staysail including ready bag (specify color) $ 985
Roller furling jib (Ilos)................................. $ 525
Mainsail cover........................................... $ 500
Additional sails & canvas available............... POR

Mechanical/ Electrical
Seafrost™ 12V refrigeration………............ $2,600
Xantrex Freedom 10 Inverter/Charger ....... $1,850
20amp battery charger............................... $ 850
Lightning ground........................................ $1,815
Single Sideband Ground............................ $1,050
Accessory 12 volt DC breaker panel........... $ 675
Orca Green LED Tri-Color w/ strobe........... $ 445

Plumbing
Hot & cold pressure fresh water system. ... $1,150
20 gal. Aux.water or fuel tank..................... $1,550

Electronics
Raymarine ST60 Plus Tridata – KM, DS, .. $1,950
Raymarine ST60 Plus KM, DS & Wind digital instruments w/ Remote display $3,990
Simrad IS-15 Instrument Package................. POR
ICOM M422 VHF w/antenna & remote mic. $1.320
RitchieBN202 bulkhead mount compass... $ 690
Clarion Stereo/tuner/CD w/ 4 speakers...... $ 1,475

Trailer: heavy duty triple axle........................ POR

POR = Price on Request *Ilos = In lieu of Standard

927 N Northlake Way, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 547-2755 FAX (206) 547-1590
Seacraft Yacht Sales dealer for Pacific Seacraft Sailboats, Com-Pac Yachts, the Dana 24, and fine Brokerage Yachts Email info@seacraft.com

Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.

DANA 24 Features and Equipment

CONSTRUCTION
● Hand laminated with vinylester resin in skin coats for superior blister resistance. Standard color is Oyster White.
Epoxy barrier coat.
● Contrasting boot & sheer stripes. Teak rubstrake.
Stainless steel chainplates and backing plates caulked with polyurethane both sides and thru-bolted to hull sides.
Rudder supported by high strength bronze gudgeon.
Deck is balsa cored with high density core in hardware mount areas.
● Deck has molded-in non-skid pattern and high bulwarks for added crew safety.
● Deck to hull flanges bedded in polyurethane adhesive and secured with stainless steel thru-bolts.
● Ballast-3,200 pound (1.45 mt.) solid lead encased in fiberglass.
● Stainless steel compression strut transfers mast and rigging loads to keel.
● Interior-structural fiberglass, plywood, and gel coat interior module bonded into hull with fiberglass woven roving
● Ten year limited hull warranty.

DECK EQUIPMENT
● Two Lewmar 30CST Self-tailing two speed primary winches with cleats.
● Two Lewmar 14CST Self-tailing halyard winches
● Four 7” x 12” & four 4” x 7” stainless steel, New Found Metals opening ports with screens.
● Two 8” stern mooring cleats
● Two 10” bow mooring cleats with 3” hawse pipes.
● Two 8” open spring cleats amidships
● All chrome plated bronze or stainless steel hinges, hasps, jam cleats, chain pipes and deck fills.
● All cleats, winches, turning blocks, pulpits and stanchions installed with backing plates and caulked with polyurethane.
● Stainless Steel forward hatch with Oceanaire™ shade & screen..
● Laminated vertical grain fir bowsprit with clear epoxy finish, teak platform and chromed bronze eye band.
● Bow roller assembly with two anchor rollers.
● Stainless steel double rail bow and stern pulpits with 27” high double lifeline stanchions, port & starboard boarding gates.
● Double stainless steel lifelines per ORC specs.
● O RCA GREEN™ LED running lights, ORCA GREEN™ LED anchor light – Optional LED Tricolor available.
● Stainless steel swim ladder with STARBOARD™ HDPE treads – Optional Teak treads available.
● Silver anodized Aluminum slotted toerail with snatch blocks for sheet leads – Optional Teak caprail with genoa track available.
● Bow chain locker with anchor deck pipe.
● Stern chain locker with anchor roller and deck pipe.
● Four Stainless Steel handrails on cabin house – Optional teak handrails available.
● Fiberglass sliding hatch and seahood. Solid teak drop boards.
● Deep bulwarks along cabinsides and foredeck for added crew safety.
● Mainsheet traveler system mounted on taffrail in cockpit.

INTERIOR
● Varnished Cherry interior – Optional Teak interior available.
● Almond laminate cabin house sides. Ash planking in the V-berth area.
● 6’ headroom with teak and holly sole throughout cabin area.
● 4” Spun polyester wrapped high resiliency foam cushions with choice of standard and optional fabrics.
● Vinyl paneled headliner with easy access to deck hardware & wiring.
● Push button positive latches on locker doors.
● 4 overhead LED lights with dimmer and on/off switches in V-berth and near companionway.
● Overhead LED light in head with integral switch.
● 4 LED reading lights.

Forecabin
● 6’ 8” long & 81” wide double V-berth with shelves above on both sides.
● Large storage locker under V-berth.
● 2 large drawers and 1 drop door under V-berth.
● Large storage cabin forward with access to anchor locker.

Main Salon
● 6’ 6” long settee berths, port & starboard with storage bins.
● Storage shelf with removable fiddle-both sides – Optional cabinets available.
● Slide-out dining table that stows under V-berth.
● Cedar lined hanging locker to starboard.

Enclosed Head
Raritan PH-II Manual Head, vanity sink with hand pump, mirror and storage lockers.
● Separate wet hanging locker.
Shower pan has teak grate.

Galley
● Force 10 - Gimbaled SS 2-burner propane stove w/oven & broiler.
● Stainless steel safety bar/towel rack. Flip-up galley counter extension.
● Large ice box with poured foam insulation and hand pump out to sink – Optional refrigeration available.
● Deep stainless steel sink with fresh water hand pump – Optional Pressure Water available.
Food and dish storage lockers & drawers.
DANA 24 Features and Equipment

PLUMBING
● Water tank with inspection ports under V-berth – approx. 40 gal.
Holding tank (approx. 15 gal), manual and shore-side pump outs.
● Bronze U.L. approved thru hull fittings below the waterline
● All thru hull hose connections are double clamped.
● 25 GPM manual bilge pump in cockpit operable by helmsman.
Electric bilge pump w/ automatic switch.
● Optional Hot/Cold pressure water with shower available.

ENGINE
Yanmar 3YM20, 3 cylinder, 21 hp diesel, with 60 amp alternator and fresh water cooling.
Single lever throttle and shift control.
● Three blade bronze propeller. PSS Shaft Seal.
● Removable 17 gallon fiberglass fuel tank, with gauge and inspection port. Optional 2nd fuel tank available.
Electric backup fuel pump.
Racor fuel filter/water separator. Sea water strainer.
● Water lift muffler system.
● Yanmar control panel with tachometer, engine hour meter, covered for protection.

ELECTRICAL
● Blue Seas DC control panel with 13 circuit breakers and digital battery condition meter.
● 110V Shore Power system with GFCI, breakers, AC outlets, 50’ 30Amp shore power cord.
● SmartPlug™ Shore power connection to boat.
● Tinned copper DC wiring throughout.
● Two AGM Group 31 deep cycle marine batteries (105 amp ea.).
● Four position battery switch.
VHF RG-213U coaxial antenna cable from masthead to hanging locker.

COCKPIT
● Deep gutters & two 1-1/2” cockpit drains for fast self-bailing.
● Deep cockpit coamings with comfort contoured seat backs.
● Two large cockpit seat lockers.
● 6’ 3” cockpit seats and integral winch islands. Two safety harness pad eyes.
● Engine access hatch in cockpit sole has neoprene gasket seal and four knurled bronze retainers.
● 25 GPM bilge pump mounted thru cockpit seat riser.
● One 2.4 gal/10 lb. propane tank (empty) in vented locker with hatch.
● Laminated wood tiller.

SPARS AND RIGGING
● LeFiel Aluminum spar with two-part polyurethane finish.
● Custom masthead, compression posts with welded doublers for tangs.
● 1x19 stainless steel standing rigging.
● Forged bronze open body turnbuckles.
● Color coded dacron running rigging. Lewmar running rigging blocks.
● Stainless steel tabernacle style mast step. Bail on mast for boom vang.
● Boom has provision for single line reefing and bail for boom vang.

SAILS
● ULMAN, NORTH or DOYLE, Dacron Main and Jib sails.

SPECIFICATIONS
LOA (INCLUDING BOWSPRIT)............... 27’-3”................................. 8.31 m
LOD .................................................. ....... 24’-2”................................. 7.37 m
LWL .................................................. ....... 21’-5”................................. 6.53 m
BEAM .................................................. ......... 8’-7”................................. 2.62 m
DRAFT............................................. .................................................. ....... 3’-10” 1.17 m
DISPLACEMENT ..................................... 8000 lb.............................. 3,629 mt
LEAD BALLAST........................................ 3,200 lb.............................. 1,452 mt
SAIL AREA, (100% FA).......................... 358 sq ft........................... 33.27 sqm
I = 34.0’ (10.36m).......................................... ...................... P = 28.25’ (8.61m)
J = 12.25’ (3.73m)........................................... .................... E = 10.83’ (3.30m)
HEADROOM.......................................... ....... 6’-1”................................. 1.85 m
FUEL CAPACITY...................................... 17 gals.................................. 64 ltrs
WATER CAPACITY................................. 40 gals................................ 151 ltrs
ICE BOX CAPACITY............................. 3.5 cu. ft........................... 0.099 cu. ft
MAST CLEARANCE.................................. 37’-4”............................... 11.38 m
BERTHS............................................ .................................................. ............. 4

Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.
All prices F.O.B. Dana Yacht Company, Bainbridge Is. WA.
Effective January 1, 2010
tellytulear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 18:49   #27

We prefer teak but it comes at a price.

8/4 Cherry $7 bf
8/4 Genuine Mahogany $10 bf
8/4 Teak $27.5 bf

Our boat interior is teak so any work we do gets pricy quickly.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 12:36   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Best Choice for Interior Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sapele is good too. More durable than mahogany.
Sapele actually is a type of mahogony, then again so is balsa, there are 108 pieces of Philippine mahogany alone.

When my father had his boat biult (a Freedom 33) he chose birch because it was lighter. On my boat I am using cumaroo, ipiele, sapele, dark red Malaysian maranti, teak, maiden's gum, apitung, cherry, tigerwood, Philippine mahogany (three of the 108 spieces) and red mangaris plus some odd ball woods.
Most production fiberglass boats, if they have wood below decks at all, use a cheap mahagony stained to look like a a nicer mahagony like sapele. The "right" wood for a boat interior is like trying to ask what is the "right" color to paint the inside of your house.

Tags
interior